!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Where to with new Grafar "Castle" ? Official words.....  (Read 18639 times)

Offline PaulM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24099
    • Awards
Re: Where to with new Grafar "Castle" ? Official words.....
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2017, 06:35:46 am »
Thanks for the information and comments everyone. By way of background, I started to build my layout in the mid-90's and really wanted a fiddle yard below the main layout so it would be accessible from the front. I happened to visit an exhibition in the UK (I live in NZ) and actually asked Andy Calvert about the capability of N-gauge steam locos on grades. At the time he strongly advised against ANY grades for N-gauge steam locos (!!) but I went ahead anyway and most of my pre-90's steam locos still romp up the grades without trouble.

I did however take much care with building the grades, using Cadrail (US CAD design software) to design and build it and keeping the grades minimal for a couple of horseshoe curves (but generally 2% elsewhere).

Given my experience to date, I expected better from a 2017 loco.     

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2017, 12:35:11 am »
Has anyone taken one apart yet?

I'm interested in whether the motor and chassis is independent of the body, giving the opportunity for a Star conversion or a 3D body print.  The other possibly would be a Great Bear as the wheels will be big enough and the spacing would be correct.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2017, 01:05:48 am »
Has anyone taken one apart yet?

I'm interested in whether the motor and chassis is independent of the body, giving the opportunity for a Star conversion or a 3D body print.  The other possibly would be a Great Bear as the wheels will be big enough and the spacing would be correct.
David, the body comes off in one piece, retaining screw under the bogie and a couple of tabs below the rear of the cab footplate. see the drawing in the instructions - see my comments on page 13 of this thread

Regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 01:07:33 am by Hailstone »

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05:50 am »
RAILS OF SHEFFIELD just asked me to pay for my sound version.  So here is hoping. 8)

Offline ODRAILS

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:21 am »
The Great Bear had the same size wheels but the spacing was 7'3" + 7'3" rather than 7'3" + 7'9"
Ian

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:30 am »
Thanks for the information and comments everyone. By way of background, I started to build my layout in the mid-90's and really wanted a fiddle yard below the main layout so it would be accessible from the front. I happened to visit an exhibition in the UK (I live in NZ) and actually asked Andy Calvert about the capability of N-gauge steam locos on grades. At the time he strongly advised against ANY grades for N-gauge steam locos (!!) but I went ahead anyway and most of my pre-90's steam locos still romp up the grades without trouble.

I did however take much care with building the grades, using Cadrail (US CAD design software) to design and build it and keeping the grades minimal for a couple of horseshoe curves (but generally 2% elsewhere).

Given my experience to date, I expected better from a 2017 loco.   
It's great that you've had good results with Poole stuff on the grades. Most of my stock is that vintage, and your post is encouraging.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:00 am »
The Great Bear had the same size wheels but the spacing was 7'3" + 7'3" rather than 7'3" + 7'9"
Ian

1mm difference is not too bad.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2017, 01:48:44 pm »

Offline Elvinley

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: June 21, 2017, 10:41:37 pm »
Picked mine up from the post office today. Looks lovely and worked well on a length of flexi (Elvinley is folded up against the wall for the summer). Didn't want to risk these running out so I pre-ordered; in this day and age this is undoubtedly a good deal for a sound fitted loco. I have a week off work next week so if we get a rainy day might be worth having a break from the garden railway and having a session.
Cheers
Ian.

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • Awards
« Reply #279 on: June 22, 2017, 03:40:50 pm »
Very impressed with the loco and the sound project, mounted on a Zimo MX658N18 decoder within the tender.

However, I have not been able to find a detailed manual. It is not on the Bachmann web site (which it should be, according to the instruction sheet which came with the loco) nor does it appear to be on the Zimo web site. I have been able to find a pdf on the latter but it makes no mention of the higher value CVs such as the ones given in the table on the last page of the instruction sheet which came with the loco.

Can anyone help, either pointing me to where I might download a set of instructions that cover CV516 up to CV700, or able to explain the function list table that appears on the little slip that came with the loco, which lists values for "Sound CV", "Volume CV" and "Sound ID" for each of the 28 functions. From my experience of DCC would I be correct in deducing that none of these entries are the CV values themselves? In which case, does the function (1 to 28) get set by the value held in the corresponding "Sound CV" column, its volume in "Volume CV" and the actual sound file stored on the chip is listed in "Sound ID"?

In all other respects the Farish instruction sheet is excellent.

One more question: what kind of speaker would fit the tender? The instruction sheet with the explode diagrams recommends a 10 x 15 mm speaker but as far as I can judge the smallest Zimo speakers are 11 x 15. Does that 1 mm matter? Either way, what would be the maximum depth of a speaker that would fit?  The reason for the questions is that I am considering fitting Next 18 sound to my other Castle.

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • Awards
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2017, 04:13:29 pm »
Thanks, I should have said that I tried that site first but the Zimo manual isn't mentioned.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2017, 06:14:28 pm »
.. It is not on the Bachmann web site (which it should be, according to the instruction sheet which came with the loco) ...

I'd contact Bachmann and ask them to clarify where on their website it is.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:00 pm »
Re speakers - I was puzzled by the quoted speaker size discrepancy too, but in fact a Zimo SugarCube is a precise fit. Remove the Zimo sound box and attach the speaker directly to the tender sound enclosure using its sticky gasket.

Offline portland-docks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22291
  • give me a black 5 anyday!
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Moorside Valley Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2017, 09:35:05 pm »
Re speakers - I was puzzled by the quoted speaker size discrepancy too, but in fact a Zimo SugarCube is a precise fit. Remove the Zimo sound box and attach the speaker directly to the tender sound enclosure using its sticky gasket.

so replace the speaker that comes pre isntalled in the loco? what is the sound difference like? louder?
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
October Donations

Advertise Here