New Dapol

Started by Sithlord75, October 08, 2011, 01:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy L S

Quote from: Elvinley on October 08, 2011, 05:13:16 PM
I really wish more time was spent on making sure the new steam locos run well. I have returned my Farish Tornado twice and in the end opted for a refund because it seems to have a fault which only appears after a lot of running. One of them had eccentric driving wheels and a wobbly tender axle into the bargain. The Farish 4 6 0s are generally good, but I am not impressed with their first new pacific.

I am sure Farish have spent plenty of time designing developing and testing.

It is disappointing to learn of your experiences with Tornado, and you are naturally entitled to your opinion, but the vast majority seem very happy indeed with their models (as I am).

My Early Crest BR A1 has run for a number of hours now, including a gruelling exhibition for it today. It has not missed a beat, no eccentric wheels, no screeching, it is smooth, quiet powerful and beutifully responsive to the controller. I cannot praise the model highly enough. In my opinon it is very well engineered and is designed to last a very long time.

Regards

Roy

H

Quote from: Roy L S on October 08, 2011, 09:12:02 PMIn my opinon it is very well engineered and is designed to last a very long time.

Unfortunatelly how they are desinged and how they are made are two entirely different things and neither ensures decent QC. Consequently it will still be possible to get a dodgy Friday afternoon jobbie as Elvinley appears to have done. And that goes for all manufacturers.

H.

Roy L S

Quote from: H on October 08, 2011, 09:39:07 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on October 08, 2011, 09:12:02 PMIn my opinon it is very well engineered and is designed to last a very long time.

Unfortunatelly how they are desinged and how they are made are two entirely different things and neither ensures decent QC. Consequently it will still be possible to get a dodgy Friday afternoon jobbie as Elvinley appears to have done. And that goes for all manufacturers.

H.

Absolutely, I agree, better QC would certainly weed out some "duds" that currently get through and without it the best design and manufacture cannot be totally foolproof but the view is no doubt taken that it is cheaper to replace a percentage of "duds" when they get to the end user than spend lots of money at the front end inspecting them.

The point I was making is that plenty of time is taken in the design to get things right and that for the majority (Though not Sadly Elvinley) this has resulted in a very good product notwithstanding my coment above..

Regards

Roy

You will always get "friday jobs" even amongst the best products.

RWJP

Quote from: Roy L S on October 08, 2011, 09:12:02 PM
I am sure Farish have spent plenty of time designing developing and testing.

It is disappointing to learn of your experiences with Tornado, and you are naturally entitled to your opinion, but the vast majority seem very happy indeed with their models (as I am).

My Early Crest BR A1 has run for a number of hours now, including a gruelling exhibition for it today. It has not missed a beat, no eccentric wheels, no screeching, it is smooth, quiet powerful and beutifully responsive to the controller. I cannot praise the model highly enough. In my opinon it is very well engineered and is designed to last a very long time.

Regards

Roy

You clearly never visit RMweb... The vast majority are NOT happy with there Tornado models, as the vast majority have had to send them back for refund or replacement. The BR livery A1s are fine, but most people who have owned a Tornado have had serious problems with them... Some members of RMweb are on their second or third model, all of which are suffering the same issues.

To those of you whining about Dapol releasing other models, check the press release that was linked to earlier in this thread, it has clear information about the 28xx, Class 56, Pendolino, Class 92, and the Class 142. Also, it seems a few here are failing to remember that in the end, Dapol is going to produce models that bring in the most revenue, not what modellers really desire. That's why Farish churns out the same old toolings every year, it makes them money. If Dapol don't deem a project financially worthwhile, they are well within their rights to suspend or cancel it, afterall, they are a private company, and money is what they are after.

To those of you whining about the models shown in the photos. They were first EPs, put together specifically for the Members day this weekend, they are not truly representative of the final models, and Dave from Dapol has already explained that some things are going to be changed (for example the Banjo Dome will be a flush fit with the boiler on release models.)

To those of you whining about competition... I ask you: what competition? Farish currently produce old, basic, models (the Bulleid hasn't been update for decades!) and have not announced any plans to update them. Dapol have announced plans to build new versions, and have already provided images of samples. Where is the competition? Farish produce three rubbish old products, and Dapol are about to release three new products that will be much higher quality. There is absolutely no competition there.

Personally, I think it's brilliant that Dapol have announced these models... Not only does it mean that we get a better model to purchase, but it means that Farish will have to look very closely at what they are doing, and release new stuff, or completely re-tool old stuff.

Ross

Roy L S

With respect I do visit RM Web - I post there fairly often. Maybe five or ten people have reported problems specifically with "Tornado", some have made several postings, and yes, some like Elvinley of this Parish have been very unlucky with more than one. But to base an assumption that because the "vast majority" posting there have had problems/sent them back there is a big problem with the loco is flawed. A number (Ben Ando and EWS Jo for two) have reported on there no problems with their model at all.

How many were air-freighted in and of those how many are perfectly happy? We don't know.

Clearly there does appears to be some issue with the "Tornado" models specifically that is not there on the BR versions which may be down to assembly or a batch of components (who knows).

I am not saying it is acceptable to have what seems to be a disproprtionately bigger failure rate on one specific model, but I do think there is a danger of making the issue out to be bigger than it is due to the experiences of an unrepresentative sample.

Regards

Roy

moogle

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Having read through this thread I hope Father Lawrence doesn't read it.
If he does a lot of repenting for forgiveness might be on the cards...  :angel:

I for one am glad that Dapol and Farish both bring out new products. short comings and all, during a recession.
It shows that they see a future in our branch of the hobby which is a very small market if you think about it.
The problems each product has will hopefully get ironed out eventually as its in the companies interests to do so.
:Dapol::GraFar: keep on bring out  :NGAUGE: stuff as we want more!  :NGaugersRule:

Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Newportnobby

Hi Ross - I think it's a shame your first post on the forum is so negative about what members are saying/debating. Three times you accuse people of whining when all they are doing is exactly what you are doing - expressing an opinion. Any debate about quality control will contain those who have had no issues and those who have suffered problems. Personally I have had issues with Dapol, Farish and Peco and post my experiences to help others decide. That is not to say I am whining (a pointless exercise if ever there was one). As N gaugers we all like to see new releases as it shows the manufacturers have and see a future. The debates as to what and when will always be with us (I am constantly frustrated by Farish failing to hit their due dates).
Please take the forum for what it is - somewhere to discuss things with like minded people in a polite and friendly atmosphere.  :computersmile:

poliss

Surely what modellers really desire is what will bring in the most money. Competition, that's where one company produces a better product than another company forcing the company with the inferior product to improve or lose sales.
I've visited RMweb, frankly I'd rather live on the Isle of Sheppey.  ;)

moogle

Quote from: poliss on October 09, 2011, 02:00:21 PM

:smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

If you know/come from Kent, you'll know why thats funny!   ;D
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Tank

My dad has been trying to sell his chalet on the island for 3 years.  What a waste of money that was! :smiley-laughing:

Dock Shunter

Quote from: poliss on October 09, 2011, 02:00:21 PM

HMP Elmley......

HMP Standford Hill.......

Or HMP Swaleside....... :o ;D

elmo

With regard to people moaning and whining about products, it is a sad fact that people only normally comment when something has gone wrong. And yes I have done so.
I posted on MRF high praise for Peco regarding their collett loco. It had numerous views but NIL replies.
Someone (I think on this forum) also prised Peco about their customer service but had only a couple of replies.
However, complain abouts a faulty this and that and you cant keep people away!!

Elmo

Newportnobby

It's a sad fact of life that people like complaining but don't often give praise. This applies to all walks of life. Occasionally in the world of N gauge someone does something right (read the reviews of the Farish Class 24), but all manufacturers drop clangers now and then and our membership post their experiences accordingly, but we all have a mind and have to decide for ourselves. I have no issue with complaints, but terming it "whining" is wrong as the word itself defines a particular sound has been heard. "Whingeing" is far more correct (to be pedantic) but still somewhat derogatory.
Sorry - I'll get off my soapbox now :-X

AndyGif

If the amount of prison on sheppey isn't bad enough how about the 1400 tons of 70 year old unstable explosives on the wreck of the
Uss  Richard Montgomery just off shore. One day it might go boom then that's  then of that  isle. Or perhaps a nice once in century  storm surge.

Elvinley

On the subject of moaning: Sometimes people are just looking to get it off their chests on forums and are looking to others to make sure they are not alone in their misfortune. I know this is true as I have done it myself a few times. I think when something goes wrong or is inferior we feel cheated out of our hard earned cash and want to complain to someone. Sometimes the companies have little to say when things go wrong so we turn to like minded people. I had a good experience with Dapol recently when something went wrong and I mentioned it on their Facebook. After this I made sure people heard the good news as well as the bad.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations