Bampney info

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

SheldonC

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on April 18, 2014, 05:04:59 AM
Quote from: SheldonC on April 17, 2014, 09:31:23 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on April 13, 2014, 07:15:09 PM
I thought the UK as part of Europe   :wave:
Our current island group ceased to be part of "Continental Europe" several thousand years ago, possibly around the time Noah was trying to avoid getting his feet - and his hair - wet.  I don't think the inundation of Doggerland etc. by the North Sea has been negated by our tunnelling under the English Channel.

Hi Sheldon.  I agree with your comments 100% :beers:
But to get back to topic, my layout is being build to reflect a major port and seaside town (eg Weymouth/Portsmouth etc) but located on the North Somerset or Devonshire Bristol Channel coast around 1970 (no steam  :claphappy:, few pesky diesel  :censored: electrics (although a "Gronk" will be station pilot  :hmmm:) and 95% Diesel  :heart2: Hydraulics.

Whilst I have a sneaking regard for your Westerns & V200-Style Warships (as long as they aren't too green) I cannot share your apparent hatred of Diesel Electrics.  Few sounds move me like the full-throated roar of a couple of Napier Deltics working hard & fast.  The music of a couple of R-R Merlins or Griffons also does it for me.

D1042 Western Princess

I don't exactly know why but I have NEVER liked steam engines and even now would not go to the end of the road to see one. I tend even to walk away from layouts, however well constructed/operated if they are predominantly steam operated!
Diesel electrics are, I suppose, OK and actually tolerated on my layouts but they are only there because they have run through from "other regions" with specials or "a train from the Midlands/Southern etc".
Diesel Hydraulics (capitalised, as befits their standing :angel:) rule my layouts and will always do so.
I suppose it was being born in Swindon (literally within the sound of Swindon Works), steam was "old hat" and on its way out, Diesel Hydraulics were the "latest thing" and to my mind unbeatable while diesel electrics were "those strange things everyone else used" but we had decent locomotives like Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and D63XXs and D95XXs instead :drool: 
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Pengi

Although I agree with you about steam, we are going a tad  :offtopicsign: here ;)

Maybe we might have another poll on what locos members are modelling in the future.
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Pengi on April 18, 2014, 07:33:45 PM
Although I agree with you about steam, we are going a tad  :offtopicsign: here ;)

Perhaps true, but just answering a question. Sorry.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Claude Dreyfus

moogle

Whilst I do model the UK in 1:148th, I also model the Irish Republic, again in 1:148th like most modellers I know who model the railways of the emerald isle. (except those who do that bigger scale  :uneasy:
So I've put that one under 'other' as its neither continental Europe or 1:160th scale!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Komata

Living in new Zealand as I do, logic says I should model what I am familiar with:  trains in New Zealand (although NOT  the state-owned railway system). I voted accordingly.

BTW: Is anyone currently modelling Antarctic railways? THAT would be an interesting project; after all, 50 million Penguin's can't be wrong...
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Newportnobby

Quote from: Komata on May 20, 2014, 01:35:07 AM

BTW: Is anyone currently modelling Antarctic railways? THAT would be an interesting project; after all, 50 million Penguin's can't be wrong...

:no: Too much 'wrong kind of snow' on the track :-[

Komata

gu'no, I think you might be right; it's the sort of thing that one could rail against forever, but for which one would always get the bird (at times literally....)

Thanks for the observation....
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

richie894

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on April 18, 2014, 04:35:56 PM
I don't exactly know why but I have NEVER liked steam engines and even now would not go to the end of the road to see one. I tend even to walk away from layouts, however well constructed/operated if they are predominantly steam operated!
Diesel electrics are, I suppose, OK and actually tolerated on my layouts but they are only there because they have run through from "other regions" with specials or "a train from the Midlands/Southern etc".
Diesel Hydraulics (capitalised, as befits their standing :angel:) rule my layouts and will always do so.
I suppose it was being born in Swindon (literally within the sound of Swindon Works), steam was "old hat" and on its way out, Diesel Hydraulics were the "latest thing" and to my mind unbeatable while diesel electrics were "those strange things everyone else used" but we had decent locomotives like Westerns, Warships, Hymeks and D63XXs and D95XXs instead :drool:

I am the same as you. For me I think it was because I grew up in the BR Blue diesel era. So they remind me of my childhood. Steam was before my time so it is harder to relate to.

marco neri

...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Cutter

I am modelling the UK--Welwyn North in Hertfordshire, 1925-35--but I live in Massachusetts now and consider the Uk to be an exotic overseas location!

Sprintex

Welwyn North as an "exotic location" - that's a new one! :laugh:

Paul

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations