!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Capital Lines  (Read 26121 times)

Offline pape_timmo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: The Capital Lines
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:31 am »
I've only just read and watched this thread from the very start, and I'm amazed at what you had running. Brilliant layout and videos.

Glad the house move has gone well, and really look forward to seeing updates on the new layout.

I moved in with my wife 2 and a half years ago, and got a cabin to build my layout in, but it is still full of other stuff. I wish I had your willpower to get on with mine.

Cheers, Timmo

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2017, 04:27:20 am »
Many congratulations, Steve. Now, you can start laying out real N Gauge track and points and moving them around until you're quite happy you've got everything how you want it. Much better than using a scale plan! 8-)

Many thanks for that remark! That is EXACTLY what I have been doing. I relate much better to placing points on my laminate living room floor and measuring the space they take up with curves etc. I thought I was just being batty and assumed everyone else used PCs and track planning software.

Now I feel greatly encouraged!  :bounce:
Personally I sketch out the design on paper, transfer it to SCARM to sanity-check that the core lines fit and the gradients etc. are reasonably humane, then work out the detail as I lay the track out, as the diagram only gives a very limited idea how the plan works.
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2017, 08:28:30 am »
I did use a trackwork software planning program combined with a real-life trackplan of a Bude line station to plan out the track layout for Cant Cove but then, placed all the points in place and moved them around until I had what I thought was the optimum layout before cutting and fitting flexi track in place with those points.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2017, 12:57:47 pm »
I never use track planning software.
I start off with a general idea in my head as to what I want to achieve -usually incorporating the scenery at the very beginning stage then I just play around with bits of track to see what looks good and what will fot where. I like to visialise the scenery in place first so that the railway fits into the landscape not the other way around.
I can't visualise a layout at all from a track plan I'm afraid but each to his or her own.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #229 on: June 17, 2017, 09:59:27 am »
I also plan the scenery when I'm planning the track, on paper, but then adjust the scenery details once the track is actually in place.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2017, 12:25:03 pm »

Things are settling down a little at the new layout’s new home, although the view from the kitchen window is still of a building site.

Having a three storey house was an obvious choice as the top floor gives me a ready converted loft as my eyrie.  No more twisting my knee climbing up loft ladders, no more extremes of temperature and it’s already decorated and carpeted into the bargain.

Everything is still stacked high, but I’m getting there.  Should be cutting the first baseboard timbers in the next week or two if I can get enough books and things squirrelled away.  In the old loft the current heat would have ruled out any progress at all, so I’m already being more productive 8)

Ignoring the ‘Bedroom 1’ label (what were they thinking?) this is the L-shaped floorplan lifted straight from the developer’s site.  The longest dimensions are 23’ by 14’2” and the narrow bit of the L is 64” wide.

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2017, 05:06:16 pm »

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2017, 07:30:12 pm »

Still sorting out the layout room so no boards in place as yet, but I have taken delivery of a couple of full brakes from the N Gauge Society.  Very nice :)

Offline Bluebottle

• If its a smooth runner its got a home on my layout
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2017, 09:01:11 pm »
Lovely to see you back young man!!!!

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2017, 07:34:14 pm »

Hammery/bangy/sweary things have been going on and some basic (the only sort I do) woodwork is in place.  The main aim in the short term was to create some shelf space to get a lot of my rubbish off the floor and from under my feet.  The top left shelf is 8 feet above the floor, which gives plenty of room.

The framework screwed to the wall (there's more out of sight behind the book cases) will also support the layout, which will be the next step.  Unless I change my plans the staging/fiddle yard will be where the books are stacked on the right, about 6 inches above the top of the bookcases.  There will be a further scenic level above this later on, I'm going for a two level scheme.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »
Very tidy indeed, although looking at the boxes on the left I don't envy you your diet :no:

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2017, 08:49:52 am »
looking at the boxes on the left I don't envy you your diet :no:

I'm getting to the age when 9 lives look increasingly attractive  :-[

Offline Ian Morton

• Ebay
    • Modelscape
    • Awards
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:58 am »
looking at the boxes on the left I don't envy you your diet :no:

I'm getting to the age when 9 lives look increasingly attractive  :-[

Nah, you'd just accumulate 9x the unfinished projects and would have an even bigger storage problem.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2017, 12:50:09 pm »
A two level layout like Ted Polet's wonderful 009 opus?

Love the idea!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

• Ebay
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »

Most of the supporting woodwork and shelving for stage one of the layout is now complete, apart from the actual baseboards and a backscene.  Temporary experiments for the staging yard throat can be seen, however, so mainline action can't be that far away! 8)

The main reason for the photo is I've just fitted some lights as this is a windowless corner of the playroom and can be a bit on the dark side.  I'm using some diffused LED fittings from ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-LINKABLE-KITCHEN-UNDER-CABINET-STRIP-LIGHTS-LINK-LIGHT-WARM-WHITE-SWITCHED-/311630279782) - replaced the kitchen lighting with these at the old house and thought they'd be ideal for future railway use.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here