!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 285870 times)

Train Waiting and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #4260 on: October 18, 2017, 11:08:04 am »
The Wadebridge Yardmaster has contacted his colleagues at Trepol Bay and Port Perran to alert them to the last train of overhauled and part-painted PO goods stock due to depart early the following week:

3 X "Tarpaulin" high-sided goods wagons, two to be 'Ferry' wagons
3 X Twin Bolster goods wagons
1 X pair of Single Bolster goods wagons

The above will all be in the red livery of the Port Perran timber merchants for use on the 'Fast Freight' network within both the UK and the Continent.

1 X Extra-LWB Pallet Van prepainted black livery for the "Headland Brewery" livery, just needs the gold corner flash adding before being placed in service on the 'Fast Freight' network but the chassis needs painting.

4 X SWB Standard Ventilated Vans for various local companies

1 X SWB 7-plank wagon for a local company

3 X Ex-LNER Sliding Door Ventilated Vans for various local companies

3 X SR design uneven planked Ventilated Van for a local company

Some of the above also need the completion of chassis painting.

It is hoped that the weather will improve enough for official photographs to be taken, soon.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:32:21 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4261 on: October 18, 2017, 10:48:57 pm »
:hellosign: Gosh Chris talk about on a knives edge  :D  many thanks for the update
      regards Derek.

Thanks, Derek. I hope to continue later this week (maybe Friday).

On a completely different topic, the 2016 Live album of The Pineapple Thief: "Where We Stood", which arrived today, is excellent but not as good as their concert in Brno. A pity that was not recorded. On this, 2017 tour, they had two new members:  with virtuoso Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree, King Crimson) on drums, plus the excellent guitarist, Darran Charles, from their special guests and label mates, Godsticks. A superb lineup live.
:hellosign: Had to check out The Pineapple Thief on You Tube as previously never heard of the band. I like lots of different genres of music but sorry not my thing.
    Thanks for the PM.
     regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4262 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:19 am »
Thanks, Derek. I'm sorry you didn't like The Pineapple Thief but taste in music is, of course, very individual.

Back to Cant Cove, I hope, tomorrow.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4263 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:54 pm »
With a short spell of sunshine, Cat Cove's official photographer was up in the former stunt flyer's biplane to take some more photos. over Cant Cove station.

First, he took some photos. of 5198 (formerly of 83E, St Blazey; purchased by the GWS, Bodmin, after its withdrawal from BR WR service, in June 1961 from 83B Taunton, then overhauled at Swindon Works) departing for Trepol Bay and Port Perran with a train of overhauled goods stock.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gdyhkcnoedkzun/20171020_145503.jpg?dl=0

Immediately behind 5198 [actually 5153 as it has yet to be renumbered and detailed) is the wagon for the Tunnel Inspection frame (trialled on a 'Conflat' wagon); followed by three SR-design "Tarpaulin" wagons to be painted in the red livery of Port Perran's timber merchants, the first two are 'Ferry' versions (without the longtitudinal metal frame).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x26s8anbtkd259e/20171020_145517.jpg?dl=0

They are followed by three Extra-LWB twin-bolster wagons (the actual bolsters are 'in' the following wagons), a fourth has been delayed; again, all are to be painted in the red livery of Port Perran's timber merchants. After them are four standard SWB ventilated vans to be painted in various local PO liveries with a BR Standard Brake Van [a duplicate Minitrix] bringing up the rear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pd7ekeq0ac0z998/20171020_145529.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzuohcw4eb2vi25/20171020_145539.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:55:34 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4264 on: October 20, 2017, 07:06:46 pm »
With his zoom lens, he was able to photograph, first, the Tunnel Inspection frame's wagon:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9ddq4z2pusrkiz/20171020_145734.jpg?dl=0

Followed by one of the two "Tarpaulin" 'Ferry' open wagons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53q2znjn7ogvr4m/20171020_145609.jpg?dl=0

Then one of the twin-bolster wagons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlnbqu6tf522tv0/20171020_145641.jpg?dl=0

Followed by the leading Standard ventilated van.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vd8t42l5c902u5r/20171020_145653.jpg?dl=0

[This one, alone, does not have a removable roof so the roof was handpainted to match the spraypainted ones then some simple weathering applied.]

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4265 on: October 20, 2017, 07:25:53 pm »
Next was a late afternoon special train via Wadebridge, Trepol Bay, Port Perran, and Truro to West Porthsea Quay conveying the first group of departing Continental guests from Trevelver Castle. The special train is comprised of one of BR SR's two B.R.C.&W. Co Type 3s in North Cornwall, D6571, followed by one of the pair of brand new BR Standard BR SR Green BCKs, S21276 and S21277, the very last loco-hauled Mark 1 coaches built at Derby and specially fitted with Swindon B4 bogies (at Lady Penelope's insistence) for through portions of Waterloo expresses, a CIWL Sleeping Car, then a less than pristine BR WR BR Maroon BSK. Refreshments are served from a well-stocked trolley loaded in the BCK's guard's compartment. The Sleeping Car with its departing passengers will be loaded onto the train ferry to Britanny.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37cj1z5ft3va7dc/20171020_150525.jpg?dl=0

Close-up of (what will be, when I get the transfers) S21276, brand new from BR's Derby Works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/go761erfb5a2nff/20171020_150549.jpg?dl=0

The short CIWL Wagons Lit Sleeping Car:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l65cra0j0xhh5ug/20171020_150557.jpg?dl=0

The WR BSK, W34315:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4wcdj1hnp3pjz8/20171020_150620.jpg?dl=0

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4266 on: October 20, 2017, 07:52:33 pm »
Some close-ups of the brand new PO livery Extra-LWB Pallet Vans were also taken.

First, (still incomplete as the detail painting of the latest batch of chassis is not completed), a "Headland Brewery" van in black, with dark grey roof, awaiting the gold corner flash before returning to Cant Cove, fully loaded.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8lgpxdlwbk8byo/20171020_152731.jpg?dl=0

5198, again, unusually, at the head of the 10.10 from Penmayne (10.18 / 10.36 from Cant Cove) goods train to Wadebridge (10.42). Being a BR SR service, it is, usually, worked by an 'N' Class or, in 1964 an 80xxx and, 1965 on, a North British D63xx Type 2. However, today, it is being used for loco. crew training.

3 of the 5 types of Extra-LWB Pallet Vans: "Castle Brewery", Cant Cove; "Creech Brewery" and "Sam's Cider" (both Somerset). Apart from the "Headland Brewery" one, also missing is a light blue "Castle Estates" which needs some detail attention to one end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7pflfmjkz7mgs7w/20171020_153442.jpg?dl=0

They are followed by a BR Early Bauxite "Tarpaulin" wagon with a timber load from the Castle Estates (all their wagons being in use), a BR Late Bauxite "Tube" 'Ferry' wagon going to Port Perran to be loaded, a "Castle Estates" 'Conflat' with an exceedingly tall crate bound for Wadebridge (being built to the former Broad Gauge clearances, the load is, just, in gauge).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uu23hu7v7njv7ue/20171020_153503.jpg?dl=0

Next are a SR design uneven planked van, an ESSO fuel tank wagon also going only to Wadebridge, and a 'Wadebridge' ex-LNER 'Toad' Brake Van.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aipd8cfmw7nq95c/20171020_153526.jpg?dl=0

The guard waves that all is well after departure.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4v1hpp8bas3ktv3/20171020_153616.jpg?dl=0

One of Cant Cove's two goods yard sidings is full; three vans are being returned, empty, from Trevelver Castle, including a Continental LWB Sliding Door Van which had conveyed a variety of consignments for the Castle's Great Kitchen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv24hcf5z8sus8x/20171020_153538.jpg?dl=0

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:53:51 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4267 on: October 20, 2017, 08:20:14 pm »
Thanks for all of the excellent pictures Chris.
Hopefully, a picture of the special working conveying continental guests from Trevelver Castle passing Port Perran will be upcoming in a day or so.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #4268 on: October 20, 2017, 10:25:58 pm »
A lovely set of photos. Thank you. What couplings are on the four grey vans? The don't look standard couplings.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4269 on: October 21, 2017, 10:20:12 am »
A lovely set of photos. Thank you. What couplings are on the four grey vans? The don't look standard couplings.

The 4 vans are Peco 10ft wheelbase, standard box vans with the standard Peco couplings, Brian (Mito). (I have far too many goods vehicles to think about experimenting with anything else. However, I already have some coaches with shorter couplings fitted and will convert more, especially those that will be in 2-car rakes.)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4270 on: October 21, 2017, 09:22:01 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris, really nice set of photos
      regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4271 on: October 22, 2017, 01:04:51 pm »
Thanks, Derek, Brian (Mito), and Martin.

Detail painting on goods stock chassis, vans and one SWB open wagon is progressing but, at this time of year, here, gloss paints (red, silver, and yellow) all take much longer to dry. So, it will be a few days, yet, before all the goods stock models are finished, dry, and can be packed up and posted off to Martin for final body painting (plus two more ex-LNER Sliding Door SWB vans for Brian for him to paint the bodies). Apart from the planned wagon loads (part-completed for a long time) and wagon tarpaulins, that should be the end of goods stock work for a while as its a lot of work for Martin and I.

As I have an old Peco Standard SWB Ventilated Van with a broken roof, I want to try modelling a van with a tarpaulin protecting a leaky roof (as seen in photos, from the late 1950s and early 1960s when it was not unusual to see vans and containers so protected). The tarpaulin will then hide the damaged roof. First, the van will need to be spraypainted in BR Early Bauxite.

I hope to have time to continue the story, later, today.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4272 on: October 22, 2017, 10:16:16 pm »
After Hughie Green had warned the assembled guests that they must be in their places in fifteen minutes, the man calling himself, Sir John Bream, brusquely apologised to the depressed looking young blonde seated next to him and left in search of the lavatories, just as DI Rule had hoped. The detective then gave the waitress, who was his former primary school teacher, Miss Penryn, their prearranged signal, by dropping his table napkin and, slowly, bending down twice to retrieve it.

Miss Penryn then came over to the table that ‘Sir John’ had just left with a new bottle of “Castle Spring” still water and, as she filled the postgraduate student’s glass, whispered to her that she would find an important message for her in a carefully folded piece of paper placed behind the cistern in the third cubicle of the Ladies.

“I’d go, now, dear,” said Miss Penryn, patting the young woman’s thin bony right shoulder. “You don’t want to miss Miss Enka, do you?”

“No! Thank you,” stuttered the red-eyed research student.

“Don’t worry, dear. You’ve got friends here. Don’t you worry about that ‘Sir John’. Now, go, before he returns! I’ll tell him, you had to leave but will be back very soon. He’ll understand.”

The sad-faced young woman began to rise from her seat.

“Take that old black handbag with you!” reminded Miss Penryn. “You’ll need it to hide the note!”

“Oh, yes, of course. Thank you. You’re very kind.”

Back on the Trevelvers’ very long table, the owners of “Sam’s Cider” and the “Creech Brewery” were finishing their interrupted conversation about Brandon Williams, the "Castle Estates" top salesman.

“So, he said to me,” continued Hugh, “now, I know that one of those old railway vans is big enough for you, but the future is the new ‘Fast Freight’ network; that’s the way to get your excellent cider quickly and economically to your customers across the country, and loading your barrels and crates on pallets makes them easier to load and unload, so you, REALLY, need one of the brand new Pallet Vans designed by our very own local engineering genius, George Enderby . . . “

“Yes, yes,” laughed Peter, “he told me exactly the same but about my ‘Creech Ales’ and then added that he understood that it might be difficult, at first, to fill a whole ‘Pallet Van’, so, he . . .”

“Would arrange for me to share one, ‘half and half’ with a leading local business . . .”, continued Hugh.

“If I signed the contract with BR, now!” concluded Peter.

“And you and I were that leading local business!” laughed Hugh.
“You have to give credit though to Williams, we both signed up and now, just months later, both have brand new ‘Pallet Van’s very attractively painted in our liveries,” grinned Peter.

“And we’re filling them!”

“That’s right, Hugh. A toast to Williams.”

“And Enderby!”

They both raised their glasses of “Tullibardine”: “To Williams and Enderby!”

“And the painters of Trepol Bay and Port Perran, who did such a fine job!”

“And the railway workers at Cant Cove who got them ready for the painters in record time!”

“We had better go to the Gents so we’re back in time for Enka Lou-Lou!” said Peter, placing his glass down and glancing at his watch.

“Yes, indeed,” agreed his fellow businessman, rising, having drained his glass.

In the Ladies’, the nervous young woman waited until the third cubicle became free and quickly went in, closing the door firmly with the inside latch.

Returning from the Gents’, the notorious con man, Ivan Fiddler, known in Cornwall as Sir John Bream, was alarmed to see the chair next to his empty. ‘Had the scrawny young bird, flown?’ he asked himself with irritation, ‘the moment his back was turned?’

His table’s elderly waitress quickly appeared with a fresh glass of his favourite cream sherry.

“Oh, sir,” she began as she set the schooner down, “the young lady asked me, most particular like to give you her apologies but she will be back with you very shortly. She had to just to . . ”

“Yes, yes, I understand. Well, as long as she’s back in time for the next musical interlude.”

“Oh, she will be, never worry,” smiled Miss Penryn reassuringly, as she left him.

Captain Jeremy stood in front of Enka, Sofi, and Susan. “Are you three ladies fully prepared?”

They nodded. “One last sound check, then,” announced Enka.

“If you say so,” agreed Sofi.

“Jeremy, please, double-check the levels,” asked Susan as the three young women took their places.

“Of course,” replied the young naval officer, moving behind them to check the array of analogue dials behind the stage. “Ready when you are!”

Outside, over the crystal-clear digital public address system, installed in the Great Hall and surrounding corridors by the navy engineers using equipment delivered from the twenty-first century, by Susan, in the TARDIS, came the Five Minute warning from the ever-grinning Hughie, still in front of the microphone on the side stage.

The audience hurried to take their places. Overhead the newly-fitted ceiling lights very slowly began to dim as they began to transform the Great Hall into a mysterious shadowy cavern.

At Cant Cove station, the call came through, from the mystery informer at Trevelver Castle, to the red GPO public telephone box, rousing Little Tommy Greet, the Poldory's ‘runner’, from his sleep on the old cushion that Audrey, the barmaid, had thoughtfully provided along with an old army blanket to keep out the cool late summer night air.

“All is still on schedule. Five minutes to the second half of the musical performance. I’ll call, again, once it’s over and Farquharson has announced the results. Got that, young lad?”

Tommy quickly confirmed. The caller, thanked him then put down the receiver followed by the small boy who, yawning, then wrapped the old blanket around him and set out, again, for the back bar of the “Tramway Inn”. Carefully he checked the Penmayne Road before crossing over and making his way around the inn. There was no traffic on the road and the station area was silent, too. As he made his way past the front of the darkened inn, Tommy heard laughing voices as he knocked on the back door the agreed, five times in quick succession.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:41:49 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #4273 on: October 22, 2017, 10:55:30 pm »
 :hellosign: Many thanks Chris for the latest intriguing episode.
    Thanks for the PM will try to get organized asap
    regards Derek.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #4274 on: October 25, 2017, 03:22:48 pm »
An increasing stream of laughing guests were quickly returning to their tables eager to be ready and seated before the start of Enka Lou-Lou’s highly-anticipated second performance. Among them was the ever-dependable and highly popular, especially with local railway staff, Wadebridge Yardmaster who made it a priority to get on well with all, whether of the (Great) Western or Southern persuasion. Normally, a very abstemious and hard-working man, ever since Broderick Haldane had presented him with a special bottle of “Tullibardine” malt whisky for arranging a trackside photo. permit for him, from BR’s Plymouth Division HQ, he had become a devotee of a ‘wee dram’ after returning home from a long day’s work.

On his way back, as the Yardmaster passed the Trevelvers’ table, Lord Trevelver stopped him for a quick chat.

“Ah, good evening, Yardmaster. I trust you’re enjoying this excellent evening.”

The Yardmaster, nodded and gathered his formidable wits, aware that he had partaken in rather too many toasts to himself.

“Good, good. You know you never cease to surprise us and in the most positive way! Just a few weeks ago, I was told that you had found a short rake of surplus BR Maroon Collett design coaches from your BR WR contacts for through workings from Truro-Newquay-Wadebridge and, occasionally, on to Penmayne, in the summer season; which, thanks to you, the CLPG have purchased at a very good price in overhauled condition. They’ve already been booked for an autumn special CLPG and GWS chartered train up to Perthshire. And, only yesterday, I heard you secured, again for the CLPG, a rake of BR Crimson BR Standard Suburban coaches from the WR that had been going for scrap. Just right for strengthening local services and allowing our area’s oldest pre-BR coaches to be taken out of normal service, you know.”

“Just ten years old, they are, those Suburbans. A terrible waste. The SR are still holding on to theirs; otherwise I would have tried for some in BR Green, too!” the Yardmaster grinned.

“Alas, the WR is busy replacing them with diesel multiple units as quickly as possible and so has no need of them and Dr. Beeching made it crystal clear to the Chief Accountant of the "Castle Estates" and my dear Lady, that if we want to have coaches lying around for peak services then this must be at our expense and not BR’s. So, we are most indebted to you for enabling us to get so much excellent condition rolling stock at scrap prices. Without you we simply could not have achieved so much in the Association for the Promotion of Cornwall's Railways, you know.”

“You give me too much credit, Lord Trevelver. I’m fortunate to have many very helpful friends around the country who keep me very well-informed.”

“You, and we, are indeed fortunate. Now, I’ve heard that you’ve brokered a deal even between the Scottish and Western Region over some more coaches?”

“Yes, it seems that someone in BR headquarters believes the Scottish Region has too many coaches and the Western Region too few. So, my Scottish friends have [this actually occurred in the autumn of 1964] received a missive from their General Manager's office.”

The Yardmaster paused and fished in his waistcoat pocket for a carefully folded piece of typewritten paper from which, after opening it and adjusting his glasses on his broad nose, he began to read.

“It’s titled, ‘Reduction in Coaching Stock’ and details the transfer from the ScR of a number of their LMSR type coaches to the WR, viz., 38 CK’s and 128 SK's. LNER type stock is also, it instructs, to be sent to the WR: 12 SK's and 3 BCK's as well as 137 LMSR type BSK's to the LMR. All are post-Second World War built coaches. Alas, the writing is already on the wall for pre-war stock in BR service.”

“Yes, very sad but the CLPG and the GWS branches in North and West Cornwall have, again, thanks to you, Yardmaster, been able to select some of the very best condition examples from both the WR and the SR. From what I’ve heard, it seems more of an ‘accountancy’ edict – BR, as we all know, being in the thralls of the wide-ranging Beeching re-organisation – rather than these two Regions finding themselves ‘short’ of certain types of coach.”

“That seems all too possible, Lord Trevelver.”

“Well, I really shouldn’t keep you much longer, Yardmaster, the ceiling lights are getting dimmer and dimmer but, quickly tell me, about these Scottish coaches.”

“Well, you know that special return train to Perthshire formed of Gresley design coaches in BR Lined Maroon that is standing in my sidings?”

“Oh, yes, I noticed them when I was last at Wadebridge.”

“Well, it seems that the WR already has some Gresley all-second corridor coaches, in excellent condition, in BR Lined Maroon, recently overhauled and, before Dr. Beeching, used for “strengthening” purposes on WR expresses at peak season . . . Well, I’ve arranged for one more, from that very rake standing at Wadebridge, to be transferred from the ScR to the WR, then the best condition Gresley all-second corridor coach to be bought from the WR, at scrap price, by the CLPG, Penmayne branch. A purely paper exercise but all above board, I assure you. Only the ScR is one Gresley design SK coach, less. They will simply keep one more Thompson design SK that was earmarked for the WR.”

“Won’t our Scottish guests miss their SK coach going back to Perthshire?”

“No, I’ve already checked.”

Lord Trevelver nodded; of course, the Yardmaster would have thought of that.

“A coach’s worth of our Scottish friends will, first, be travelling on the BR SR Return Special to Templecombe, where they will change for Withy Junction, having been invited by the President of Mid Somerset Rail Enthusiasts, Albert Moundson, to visit the local railways and sample ‘Creech Ales’ and ‘Sam’s Cider’, for which they have developed a considerable liking! They’ve all been getting to know each other, this evening. The landlord of ‘The Sidings’, Durscombe, William, Bill, Cropley will be putting them up.”

“Very handy for Durscombe Station, then!”

“Yes, indeed, Lord Trevelver.”

“Good, good. Excellent, as always, talking with you, Yardmaster. Now, hurry back to take your place. Mr. Green has just given us all the One Minute Warning!”
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:50:16 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything