!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)  (Read 242302 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Cant Cove (and Penmayne)
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2014, 05:25:51 pm »
Cant Cove is very much meant to be an exercise in 'learning by doing'.

Soldering  :D

I know I won't be able to avoid soldering but am doing my best to postpone it!

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »

It's really not that bad. If I can do it (and I was dreading it!) you can.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:05:44 am by Sprintex, Reason: Fixed incorrect quotation code »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:25 pm »

It's really not that bad. If I can do it (and I was dreading it!) you can.

Thanks, Martin, for the encouragement. :beers:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:09:05 am by Sprintex, Reason: Fixed incorrect quotation code »

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2014, 06:15:01 pm »
I look at my first (ever) attempts at soldering the droppers to the rails, and they have big blobs of solder on the sides of the track.
They don'y look good, but once they are rust painted they disappear. I melted a few sleepers too, but they will disappearing when ballasted.
I know that if I did it again now I would do a much much better job, but it really doesn't matter as it serves its purpose.
I never ever dreamed that I would be able to do the intricate soldering needed for the 25 pin connectors, but I did it.
You don't know what you can do until you try it.
I had a 10 minute demo shown to me at my club, that's all........

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2014, 06:20:02 pm »
Thanks, Mike. Ironically, my father was an expert at soldering but learning how to do it never interested me when I wa sgrowing up; unlike woodwork and painting which i did learn the basics of and enjoyed.

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:01 am »
Thanks, Mike. Ironically, my father was an expert at soldering but learning how to do it never interested me when I wa sgrowing up; unlike woodwork and painting which i did learn the basics of and enjoyed.

Same with me as a young lad - my dad did all the soldering. As a child I was fascinated by the soldering iron and would often have a play with it when he was not looking. I remember turning a late 1970s white metal HST kit into something that inspired us to create a scrap yard in a corner of the layout :whistle:

As for the burns on my hands and fingers and the odd singed item of clothing, the less said the better. Seriously though, with a decent soldering iron practice makes perfect. Just don't forget the flux, ignore the advice of anyone who says it is not necessary!

Good luck

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 09:41:41 am »
Lots of excellent pre-planning has been done Chris so I'm looking forward to seeing your project start soon now.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Offline Michiel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Nothing is wrong, as long as it's fun!
    • Google+
    • PhotoBucket
    • YouTube
    • Brussels-Luxemburg anno 1920
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:31 am »
Hello Chris,

I'm coming back to your hidden yard. Why don't you maximise it? I modified your track plan as an illustration.

Note the quantity of small tracks left an right to hold locomotives and small railcars. The centre tracks can hold a multiple of small trains per track, or if choosen, one large train per track. A large hidden yard is a big added value during the operation of your layout. Just a suggestion, nothing more.  ;)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2014, 10:44:01 pm »
Thanks, Trevor. Your layout was one of my early inspirations although set about 30 - 40 years earlier and on the GWR rather than a ex-LSWR line with GWR running powers.

Thanks, Michiel, for going to all that trouble. Much appreciated. My very first N Gauge layout on a baseboard was the standard twin ovals with two stations at the top and bottom of the long straight sections and a goods yard in the middle, a small, twin road diesel shed in the bottom right-hand corner and a quarry line on the left hand edge. I know I will miss watching trains go round and round but i wanted to model something based on a real life prototype and make it as authentically ex-LSWR in North Cornwall as possible (not least so that I can enjoy all the escenic work and place all my figures) so I will stick with what I worked out after much time and thought. (And I have all but one of the points already bought, here.) I know the fiddle yard will only be enough to hold the goods wagons going to and from the Castle Estate plus the private four-wheeled Teak coach and the mainline passenger trains will just run through from one cassette to another but it is designed to be modular and, in the distant future, will be connected to little modules on either side with bridges, maybe a tunnel, and then the terminus of Penmayne itself. Eventually, at the other end, maybe Wadebridge? I can dream. 8-)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:18:24 am by Chris in Prague »

Offline Michiel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Nothing is wrong, as long as it's fun!
    • Google+
    • PhotoBucket
    • YouTube
    • Brussels-Luxemburg anno 1920
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2014, 09:43:17 am »
No problem. I'm looking forward to it.  ;)

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 12:47:54 am »
What's the delivery date on your base board? Can't wait to see some progress after so much detailed planning.

Bob

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 06:37:00 am »
What's the delivery date on your base board? Can't wait to see some progress after so much detailed planning.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. A good point. I've been so busy with academic work that I have not been chasing up about the delivery date. I will do so, this week, as I have a quiet week before the last two busy weeks at the end of this month. I plan to take delivery at the beginning of July. What i am planning to do, this week, is to start work on constructing the buildings after I have paid a visit to my local model shop(s) to stock up on plasticard, glues and paints. The delay has, if anything, only improved what I will be building as I'm still learning from others and doing research.

I will be posting a full 'back story' for Cant Cove and Penmayne and a local map.

I will also be posting detailed pictures and text about the buildings so that I can pass on what I've learned and get advice from others. I am planning to light the buildings, the station lamps and the street lamps, too. Points will not be electrically operated at first but provision to do so will be planned. After reading about others' experiences, I'm planning to use (probably) Tortoise, maybe Cobalt, and Conrad point motors. The Tortoise / Cobalt ones will be for the scenic part of my layout and the Conrad ones for the off-scene fiddle yard -- the Castle Estate.

I've been busy buying N Scale figures as Cant Cove is planned as a working diorama with lots of little stories to see. I'm also still revising (buying and selling) my rolling stock. So, whilst not much appears to be happening, actually I am working on / thinking about Cant Cove almost every spare moment! 8-)

Offline Bob Wild

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:19 am »
actually I am working on / thinking about Cant Cove almost every spare moment! 8-)

Cheers Chris. I know what you mean about thinking almost every spare moment. These things do tend to prey on your mind.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 11:28:19 am »
Thanks for understanding, Bob. I'm far less impetuous these days than I was 30 years ago.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
I'm really looking forward to seeing things develop here.
Can't wait for the first tracks to be laid.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: 6.50