Show Your Latest Completed Loco and Rolling Stock Kit/Scratch Builds

Started by EtchedPixels, July 09, 2013, 08:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Seems sad to have only a thread for purchases and with the board getting bigger its hard to follow all the construction thread.

So here's my opener for today. A Corringham Railway coach this time in roughly the state it was in for real towards the end.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

EtchedPixels

This is todays. It was actually a quick build to use up a slightly damaged pair of old sides. The coach body is an ancient Mike Howarth 60' clear LMS shell which I threw together then sprayed and fitted the sides. The LMS bits are not quite right - there seems to be no good source of LMS coach decals at the moment so the 3 isn't quite the right size/shape but will do.

It's actually a "convertible" third/sleeper designed to get day use as quite a nice roomy third class coach but then be converted into 3rd class sleeping accomodation by night.

On the whole I'm quite pleased with it - enough I might actually go back and replace the Howarth underframe bits with better ones and remove the generic roof vents to put the correct pattern on the roof - some day 8)

I've also finished off this beastie over the past few days

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

E Pinniger

I really like the LMS 3rd/sleeper coach, in particular. Is the lining painted or decals?

I hope to post something in this thread eventually, but I haven't actually completed any kits yet (as opposed to RTR detail/repaint jobs) other than a couple of basic Peco wagons! I do have quite a few lined up for future projects though, including some of your pre-grouping 4-wheel coaches.

EtchedPixels

Nothing wrong with posting Peco wagons if you built them and finished them - post them up!

The coach sides are sprayed with primer, then with a suitable red car paint. The lining strips are modelmaster decals. The are actually very nice for this kind of work as they are a bit stronger than the Fox ones - they don't curve very well but for lining coach sides that is a positive win. Plus its easier to line than many coaches as the lining follows the panelling so there is effectively a ruled line on the coach body to follow

Alan

EtchedPixels

LMS post war ex Ambulance coach conversion to a full brake.

Not entirely happy with this in a couple of spots and may someday tweak the roof a bit. It didn't help that the as I was trying to get it done quickly the duckets decided to go for a slight wander after I'd painted it so had to be fixed back up.

(I did make it to the pub for closing time however  :beers:)

One of the remaining problems (apart from the joy of adding rainstrips) is the roof colour. On the prototype the photos suggest it was almost black with dirt.

Some day it could also do with footboards.

Alan

E Pinniger

These are the only two Peco kits I've built so far, an "Insulfish" and standard 12t box van (the open mineral wagon is a repainted RTR model). This photo was taken rather a long time ago, hence the unweathered track and lack of buildings (or even a tunnel portal).

I suppose this Class 14 also counts as a kit build though it started as a single-piece resin moulding (Parkwood) rather than a kit as such! But I did detail it with assorted scratchbuilt bits.
Again a rather old and not particularly brilliant photo with the layout looking even more bare and unfinished than it does now. Hopefully now I have a new digital camera I should be able to take better photos than this of any future rolling stock I build!

Stevie DC

Ok my contribution. Neither are new and both have appeared in my 3D modelling thread before but both represent my most recently completed projects.

First up my K3, 3D printed body on a much modified Farish V2 chassis.

Next is my J50. Again 3D printed body on a N-Stars custom built chassis.

Both were taken in January at the St. Albans exhibition while they were guests on the 'North of England Line'. Many thanks to Mike J and the team who let me play trains that Sunday afternoon. The streamlined B17 in the background is not my work...

EtchedPixels

Having seen the pictures of the upcoming Bachmann clayhoods I decided it was time to finish the Parkwood kit ones: especially as the Bachmann one looks like its been fitted with a teacosy

1 down 8 to go...

EtchedPixels

Lots of '3' decals on this one and LNER and numbers so a trifle fiddly to decal. Teak on the other hand is easier to paint than many people think. The colour patterns hide brush marks and you can repaint a panel if need be as they never all matched.

The 'Lining' is also a bit of a con. It's painted in weathered teak and then drybrushed in a paler teak colour to give texture and grain. As the dry brushing tends to put paint more on the raised lines you get the impression of all the lining for free !

Alan

Sea Mills

Well here is my little effort.   It is a Parkside Dundas Grampus.   It is not yet finished, as I need to get some transfers before it is weathered, but I am not sure about the colour.   I have used a weathered black acrylic from Lifecolour.   What is the best black for a departmental use early sixties?

David

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=6314;preview

EtchedPixels

I've also used weathered black and then added dirt on top - that looks the part to me - at least for a fairly clean one.

Alan

lionwing

A new (well second hand) Suburban Coach for Newdale...

I have concluded a rolling stock collection is never complete this coach pretty much gives me what I need for my operations at this stage...not that I'd say know to a few more wagons etc...

:wave:

Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Oldman

The Narrow gauge fleet. Just awaiting nameplates and couplings
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

davieb

EtchedPixels

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations