ATTENTION - MODELZONE PURCHASERS

Started by guest1328, June 26, 2013, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

They have had item at a sale price and the staff has been marking them back to full price.
When the sale starts with 20% off it is not as good as it might seem.

An example I can give is a helicopter they have at £9.99 sale price, back to full £12.99 for a couple of days then 20% off, so 20% off £12.99 is £2.58 = £10.41.

Sneaky beggars these liquidators, it's all about perception.

I got this info from a Modelzone member of staff.

cheers John.

Pete Mc

I was talking to a couple of workmates today,one who I have worked with for over 4 years who is a truck/lorry/commercial vehicle modeller,the other who is a new starter at our firm and oo gauge modeller and they said the former owner of TAG's in Doncaster is or may be interested in buying the shop from Modelzone should that be an option.This obviously depends on whether the Modelzone brand/chain is bought as a whole concern or split up with individual shops being sold or closed down.I can't see such branches such as Signal Box closing down though as they have a presence within the model railway fraternity that is both enduring and reputable.My thoughts about Modelzone are that they went too big,too quickly,gobbling up shops here,there and everywhere.There was even talk of TAG Modelzone moving from their branch on Netherhall Road in Doncaster to the Frenchgate Centre at one point but this has not happened,probably due to their ambitious,possible over ambitious plans to expand.

From what I have read of the situation in the city sections of various newspapers,the business as a going concern is not the problem.What is the problem,which is what prompted the receivers to be called in is the situation with the rents and rates of the many shops that Modelzone occupy.Its sales have fallen but not overly so,apparently people may be skint,they're just not that skint so they're still spending money on their hobbies.So this situation whereby the rents and the costs of opening new branches over the last year or so have meant that the debts racked up are no longer sustainable.

Its easy for us all to say that had the economic crisis not been so long lasting things would have been different,but I think there are things that various businesses could learn from the brutal way that businesses,particularly retail businesses have ceased trading.On top of Modelzone's appointment of receivers,there are 3 well known cloting chains that have called in the receivers as well.

Its the battle of the fittest.

Pete
:Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:

Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

EtchedPixels

At least with it going into receivership there is a chance that the shops can be bought out. An awful lot of empty shops are empty because the company that closed the shop is still running and the landlords would rather keep making them pay rent on the empty shop until the end of contract than risk a new tenant.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Agrippa

Was in Glasgow MZ today,20% off stickers about , but not sure
if applies to all stock. They had a Gaugemaster Combi ,20% off
would be good. Stock of  N items a bit sparse. Still a big stock of
aircraft , ships and afv kits and scenics and paints etc.

On another tack Jessops in Glasgow busy and well stocked
almost as if nothing happened.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

woodbury22uk

I did not realise that Modelzone is in receivership. As far as I can see the last news was that it is in administration. Can someone point me to where the announcement has been made about receivership, please?
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

bluedepot

i got some coaches today and got 20% off, so really they were just similar price to hattons et al anyway, but still, no postage and a good deal to be had.  i was told there was 20% off all graham farish items, but i had to ask as there were no signs on them.  paints / scenics also discounted i noticed. 

tim

BigT

The Liverpool shop had the same offer.

Posters in the windown described say there is a liqudation sale. Despite this , I was also told there where 8 interested parties in buying the business, but not sure if this will include all the shops.

EtchedPixels

Some of those interested may well be people wanting the stores for something else (eg Tesco !) and others will be asset strippers who simply want to pick it up rock bottom flog the lot and move on.

Personally I think you'd need a screw loose to get into the retail trade
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Phil Wray

I was in Modelzone Glasgow this evening. Big posters up announcing all stock up for liquidation. 10%, 20% or 30% off. However, on looking at some of the prices, I reckon they've started by putting everything back up to the RRP before taking the discount. So not very impressed.

They had even less n gauge than ever. I saw 2 locos....full-stop. Both 20% off. Both diesels - of which I know nothing about, so I can't tell you anything, sorry.

Oxford die cast, buses only, reduced from around £6 to £5. Hardly grabbing me.

Maybe there are better deals elsewhere in the country people can get.......

Adam1701D

MZ in Peterborough now have 50% off all paint and tools. I've picked up some real bargains, ranging from Tamiya Masking Tape and Milliput through to an airbrush and magnifier goggles.

I'd get there fast if I were you...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

OwL

In Birmingham MZ today, I spoke to the manager and i expressed my best wishes to him and the company for the future.
He said a high level meeting was happening today, although he seemed to think that a solution was doubtful.
He confirmed that the rumor about the old owner buying back the business is a no goer as well.

Prices were 20% reduced but still above RRP.

Best Wishes and good luck to all staff.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Dr Al

Closure of all stores has been reported on other lists.

:(

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

SymonC

Been into the Signal Box in Rochester today.  They confirmed that they will be closing (no date yet) and all N gauge is 30% off (or more)

Picked up a Graham Farish 371-603 Class 42 in Maroon for £34.99!

SymonC

Quote from: 47033 on July 13, 2013, 03:54:32 PM
Now that's a deal.

Hoping to pop in for some more bargains when I'm next in Rochester on Tuesday, hope they're still open!

Staff said didn't know when they would be closing and were fully expecting to be given no more than 24 hours notice!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations