!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lofthole Oil Terminal - Post Privatisation  (Read 17905 times)

Offline The Cuckoo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Lofthole Oil Terminal - Post Privatisation
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 08:16:07 pm »
I remember enjoying reading the article about Lofthole in RM, it included some excellent photos too.

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 09:15:16 pm »
I read the series of articles in 'Red Death' (what happened to the planned revival of the NGS MAG?), very interesting reading abut the progress :)

We had a quick chat about that signal Jon, nice to meet you :wave:

Paul

Offline Phil Hendry

• N Gauge Society Number: 9598
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 09:15:45 pm »
It really is great - I'd love to see it 'in the flesh'.  R.I.P. sounds like a great idea too - something out of the ordinary to entertain the public is often a good idea.  I bet it annoys the 'purists' too - which is an even better idea in my opinion!!
I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »
Hi Paul,  nice that we've met - where was it?  Hope you were impressed with the signal!  :thumbsup:

Phil - next exhibition outings are High Wycombe and Romford in November - a bit of a trek from Lancaster though.  :(

I do like some novelty, but I always aim to keep the basic layout "straight"  - novelty items are things that you can add for light relief, hopefully without compromising the effect when being serious!

But if you want to annoy purists how about this:

Based on the Triang Turbo-Car from the 60s - really works on the fan, goes round like a bunny on a greyhound track!

Cheers

Jon  :) :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:49 pm »
I've always been a big fan of them :doh:

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 09:56:06 pm »
Oops, forgot to put it in my post  :smackedface:

It was at the Royston show last year ;) Signal is excellent, must get one for the entrance to my dairy sidings :D

Paul

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 06:27:40 am »
This is a wonderful layout, terrific vids too - love the line-side shots of the Voyager speeding through :claphappy:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Jbundy132

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 07:14:47 pm »
good layout mate

Offline apollo45115

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 07:29:36 pm »
 I've just found this today and I'm glad I did. I really like what you've done here. You've done an excellent job, especially with the track. It shows what can be done with Kato unitrack, it demonstrates the transition from a table top setup to a first scale model railway, particularly for those who aren't confident using something like Peco code 80 or 55.
 The grassy areas around the track are well observed capturing the unkempt look of the real thing, you even have the concrete troughs for cabling. The operation is good too, it was pleasure watching the trains uncouple without the hand of god! The only minor criticism I'd have is the look of the signal box and the oil terminal; they look a bit too clean and plasticky, but nothing painting and/or weathering can't solve. You've probably got it on the to do list anyway.

Once again a really good layout, long may the show invites roll in!

Carl

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 07:56:02 pm »
Thanks Carl,   :thankyousign:

Glad you like the layout; and thanks for the constructive criticism.   I'll have a look at the tanks and signal box when I get the layout down from the loft for shows this Autumn.  They have had a going over with "frame dirt", but maybe some more is in order!  In fact I may get my mate Neal to take a look - he has a keen eye for filth!

The Unitrack looks fine, but I won't be using it again.  It is quite a lot of trouble to raise the ground to disguise the height, and all the points needed modding, as documented elsewhere.  Honestly, it is easier to get a good result with code 55!

Thanks again, and all the best

Jon     :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline TheStig

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 12:16:01 pm »
Love this layout! Can I ask how you did the oil storage silos? Are they scratch built or from a kit?

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:40 pm »
Thanks Stig,   :thankyousign:

Scratch built - the big one is based on a length of drain pipe, the smaller ones on tubs I got from the chemist.  The conical roofs are from thin plasticard.

The hardest part was soldering up the handrails.  I have learned now that solder with separate flux makes it easier rather than the resin-cored electrical solder I was using.

Cheers   Jon   :)

Offline TheStig

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 12:56:06 pm »
Drain pipe! Simple but brilliant idea! May give that a go myself. Might try a different approach to the handrails. Thanks!

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 07:22:04 am »
Ac really excellent layout: highly realistic scenery with just the right amount of weathering, IMHO, on the rolling stock. Fantastic attention to detail. Just shows what inspiringly high standards can be achieved. Superb videos, too.

Offline PostModN66

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 10:07:06 am »
Thanks Chris,

Making me blush!!! 

All the best   Jon :)  (Couldn't find a blushing smiley!)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here