well that was a waste of money

Started by matt-b, June 23, 2011, 07:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt-b

just tryed building the knightwings forklifts and dornaplas ford cargo... very disapointed with both, has totally put me off kit building. maybe i`m just heavy handed but a) nothink fits b) it rubbish casting or very thin plastic wayyyy to fiddly. will defo be sticking with ready to run stuff from now on.

:NGaugeForum:

elmo

N gauge is always going to be fiddly. I am afraid it is just practice that will improve things. Like me you may learn alot of new swear words along the way.
Elmo

EtchedPixels

Quote from: matt-b on June 23, 2011, 07:19:40 PM
just tryed building the knightwings forklifts and dornaplas ford cargo... very disapointed with both, has totally put me off kit building. maybe i`m just heavy handed but a) nothink fits b) it rubbish casting or very thin plastic wayyyy to fiddly. will defo be sticking with ready to run stuff from now on.

:NGaugeForum:

The Dornaplas ford is not an easy kit. Never tried the Knightwing fork lifts. There are some good kit places to start and one of them is the Peco wagons because they are designed to be a nice gentle intro. Some of the scalescenes kits are worth looking at too not least because they are downloads so  you can screw it into a ball, swear and print a new copy if it goes horribly wrong.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

NTrain

It is important to remember that these are trying to be scale models. If parts are made too thick then they look 'cludgy'. If they are made to true scale then they are too thin to work with. In the end it is a compromise.

I have not seen the Knightwing forklifts, so cannot comment. I have a couple of Dornaplas kits, but haven't made them yet. I agree, they do look fairly difficult.

jonclox

I did buy... and build... the Knightwing forklifts as my intoduction to N gauge metal models. Not very easy but I got there in the end.
Plenty of very fine filing and bending were needed and I guess without the right tools that would make for a nightmare build.
As Ntrain said its about getting the right acceptable look without ruining the kit.
Sorry you didnt get on ok
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

painbrook

Dornakit's coach is a good build , but with so much RTR about why bother . cheers john .

longbridge

I haven't seen the Dornpas Kits over here in Oz but after looking at what is available on the Gaugemaster website they look as though a pair of tweezers might be the order of the day ;D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations