!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Claverdon-ish in Warwickshire  (Read 74483 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Claverdon-ish in Warwickshire
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 11:40:03 am »
Looking good; I hope that Jaguar's brakes have been tested recently! 8-)

Offline johnlambert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:02 pm »
Looking good; I hope that Jaguar's brakes have been tested recently! 8-)

Thanks Chris.

Yes, the road turned out a bit steeper than anticipated.  Although the real location on which it is loosely based also has quite a steep gradient on approach to the railway bridge.

The Jag is a Mk IX, so it has disk brakes and, depending on what year I want to imagine, could be new or nearly new - so the brakes should be ok  :D

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »
I've given the celotex a coat of brown paint.  In my original plan there is a road running behind the station but I may change that to a wooded area.  Until I decide what I'm doing with it the brown paint looks much better than yellow foam.

Some of my fir trees have now been customised too.  One of the standard trees is in the centre of the photo, the others have been lightly brushed with glue and dipped in scenic scatter.  It is a bit time consuming but the result is better looking trees.

The North end of the station has been given a bit more landscaping to make the retaining wall look less like it is stuck on and more like it has been built into the ground.  The glue hasn't dried yet so it is showing through the scatter.  I've also added some Ratio spear fencing to keep my N gauge people from falling down this part of the embankment  ;)

More spear fencing has also been added to the ramp from road level to the platform.  Also shown is my new GWR 87xx on a train of private owner wagons.

8762 also ran a local train with autocoach 195.  The white stuff is filler to fill in gaps between the walls and the platform surface.  It needs filing down and painting.

Here is another new arrival, D6331, on a short fitted goods train:

And also on a local passenger working.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 07:53:53 pm »
Delighted to see D6331 so at home, John. Renumbering it to D6332 will make it an Old Oak Common (from 15/01/1966 to withdrawal 22/05/1971) allocated loco., so very likely to have been seen in your area.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:29 pm »
Thanks Chris, useful to know that.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »
My pleasure, John. Another possibility is D6335 which was allocated to 81A Old Oak Common from 12/10/1964 to withdrawal 14/09/1968. Unlike D6332 it was never repainted in BR Blue (D6332 being painted BR Blue in 1967), so looks the better choice for your period?

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 08:17:07 pm »
Have you thought about having a low 'perspex' wall at the front to prevent your valuable rolling stock taking a fall?

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 08:58:33 pm »
Have you thought about having a low 'perspex' wall at the front to prevent your valuable rolling stock taking a fall?

Yes, I think a Perspex front wall and some ply or MDF sides are part of my plans for the layout.  A Graham Farish Warship took a heart breaking trip to the floor.  Not something I want to happen again.

Thanks for the tips about Class 22s. 

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »
Really sorry to read about your Warship, John. (Did you send it to BRLines?) Cant Cove will be built with three fixed sides and a removeable front side to support the lid designed to keep the dust out when it is stored under one side of the double bed. I'm planning on the front side being made of some perspex like material. I've read of others on the forum who have built protective sides or even catching nets to prevent errant rolling stock hitting the floor!

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 09:12:00 pm »
Quick look at the clear front wall and painted back scene:

The back scene is just propped up at the moment, it should look better when mounted upright and it needs some end pieces that angle slightly towards the front of the board.

I'll also give the board a coat of black paint, I think.  Any suggestions as to what paint to use?

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 10:19:03 pm »
Planted all the conifers I bought in the job lot of ebay scenic stuff.  Also continued to add to the sky backscene.  Getting the various parts of the sky to line up square could be, er, interesting.

I've also added a foundation for the road on the bridge.  Although the bridge isn't big it is designed to lift out, just in case I need more access to the tracks for cleaning.  It is just card cut from a cereal box, weighted down with tyre weights bought on ebay while the glue sets.  I bought the weights to go in wagons but the strips have proved surprisingly useful to weigh down anything that has to be clued to a curved surface.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 07:28:22 am »
Looking good, John. I'd never heard of tyre weights before but they look just the job.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 08:21:06 am »
This is looking good. Keep the updates coming.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Trepol Bay :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1392
Port Perran :
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=1004

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 06:32:29 pm »
 :thankyousign: for all the encouraging replies!

I decided to rethink the back scene a little as I want to conceal the siding at the "South" end of the layout.  It seemed sensible to bring the scene forwards and eventually put a road bridge next to it.

You can see where I've marked the Celotex to make a slot for the back scene.  The brick retaining wall will be cut back or replaced.

Plywood sheet cut to size and dropped into the slot, ready to mark for the cut-out for the tracks.

The cut-out was marked on the reverse; inner track is a storage road, part of the fiddle yard.

Cut-out made and retaining wall cut back.

From behind, you can see how the running line and siding align with the back scene.

Cleaned up, Celotex is useful stuff but it makes a lot of mess!

Checking clearances; the DMU driving trailer is one of the longest vehicles on the line, the class 08 is one of the widest and together they make about the best clearance gauging train I've found.

Talking of clearance; the platform has been trimmed back a bit.

Plenty of room ;)

Next step is to paint the back scene and build the road bridge.  I'll probably use the Peco girder bridge sides for a bit of variety as there's a stone bridge at the North end.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 06:54:38 pm »
Thanks for that, John. I'm a big fan of having dividing 'back scenes' to split layouts like yours into two halves. Not having a Turbo DMU, I'm relying on my outside rod Class 08 for gauging trials with a Mark i coach.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything