!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Claverdon-ish in Warwickshire  (Read 74482 times)

Offline johnlambert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
Re: Claverdon-ish in Warwickshire
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 12:05:52 pm »
Done a little more on this layout, slowly improving the station side.

Here's an overview with some adhesive textured stuff to make the retaining wall behind the station building and a couple of Metcalfe buildings.  The base of the signal box has been cut down slightly to sit on the platform - it is there to operate the points on the loop.  I need to add some paint to the corners of the signal box to tone them down.  I added some grey paint to the corners of the station building and I think it looks much better.  The platform surface has also been cut away under the station building to help it sit on the platform rather than floating 2 feet above it.

Close up of the station

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 10:20:39 pm »
I've been invited to exhibit my layout at a small show in Leicester either next year or in 2015.  Means I need to make some more progress on the scenic aspects.  It gives me something to work towards; this was never intended to be an exhibition layout, just somewhere for me to play trains, but I got a bit carried away by the idea of showing off my layout.  Plus I like to challenge myself to do stuff that's outside my comfort zone.

I need a better name for the layout.  All suggestions welcome.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »
I've had some visiting locos on my layout.

Most unusual was this Kato model of a Spanish electric loco.

More in keeping with a Western Region branch the Dapol Class 22; 6013, 6019 and 6020 I think.  I recently discovered that this class was in use in the Warwick area so I will be adding one to the roster at some point.

Motive power slightly in excess of what is necessary for a single BSK!  You can also just see some of the work done on the retaining walls and railings on the ramp down to the platform.

My friend also brought Graham Farish Warship 'Foxhound' and I couldn't resist posing a photo with Foxcote Manor.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »
Always good to see hydraulics on a layout :) :thumbsup:

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 12:55:43 pm »
No progress to speak of but I have been invited to exhibit my layout this November.

Need to get my finger out and make it a bit more presentable.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 04:51:11 pm »
No progress to speak of but I have been invited to exhibit my layout this November.

Need to get my finger out and make it a bit more presentable.

Many congratulations on getting the invite, John :claphappy:

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:24 pm »
Feel like I've made some good progress this weekend so I thought I'd run some trains and take some photos.

You can just make out the 'grassy' embankment behind the station building:

Slightly better view of the grassy bank and low retaining wall behind the platform.

DMU waiting at the station

Slightly more overhead view.

Another bit of grass in the bridge abutment.  You can also spot the new bit of retaining wall, which needs weathering and blending in.

Slightly better view of the bridge.

Doesn't show much, but I quite like this shot of a 28xx running tender first on a train of Collett coaches.

Not sure if I've shown off my Metcalfe small signal box, which has had the base slightly cut down and planted on the platform.  It has also been weathered with some diluted black paint washed over.  I need to get some green and brick red to touch up the corners.

Another view of the signal box.  The steps were really fiddly to do!  It also shows me where I need to stick some more ballast.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
Coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing more pictures. How about a Class 35 Hymek on the through trains to Paddington?

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 05:21:21 pm »
Nice pictures, John, and progress seems to be being made at the required rate for the exhibition :thumbsup:

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 05:43:13 pm »
Cheers guys.

Chris, yes I'm sure you'll see a Hymek on a diverted Birmingham or Wolverhampton to Paddington train.

Newportnoby; I'm quite surprised at how well it is going.  In places it is looking like a "proper" model railway.  Even more surprising is that I'm not waiting until the last minute to do all of this stuff.

Things still to do:
Put in the road that runs behind the station.
Build a second bridge at the other end of the station - I've got some Peco bridge girders for this.
Put in a bit of a back scene
Trees - I think I'll need lots of trees
Details - things like posters, station nameplates, maybe even a few people

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:59 pm »
For trees search on eBay: there are some very good ones which are MUCH cheaper than others:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111199240530?var=410229101257&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »
Birmingham or Wolverhampton to Paddington trains would, normally, be Class 52 Westerns or, maybe, later, a Class 47. A Class 35 Hymek would only be covering for a failed bigger loco. on such trains.

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 06:34:19 pm »
Thanks for the tip about trees :)

Birmingham or Wolverhampton to Paddington trains would, normally, be Class 52 Westerns or, maybe, later, a Class 47. A Class 35 Hymek would only be covering for a failed bigger loco. on such trains.

I know.  After I bought my Class 35 I discovered that they weren't often seen in my area.  But Dapol's Hymek is a sweet running loco and it looks good at the head of a train of maroon Mk1s:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:40 pm »
I fully agree with your choice and, in the early days of the Class 52 "Westerns" they often failed and Class 35 "Hymeks" were pressed into service in their stead.

I have the reverse problem: a Grafar maroon "Western" that i cannot possibly justify so will only run it, a BR Green Class 46, and a BR Green Jubilee "Alberta", for my own pleasure (not in my WTT). "Alberta" DID run on inter-regional trains up to its sad end in 1967 but would not have got beyond Bristol at the very furthest!

Normally, when I run a diesel timetable (I have timetables for 1962, 1963, and 1964) it will be Class 22s on locals (with a single railcar for the offpeak services) and freight and Class 35s on longer distance trains including parcels with Class 42s on Paddington trains. The SR will still be running Bulleid Light Pacifics with a BR Green Class 33 or two replacing them outside the summer timetable!

Offline johnlambert

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 11:30:55 am »
A few photos as evidence of progress on the scenic work.  Started to add the road but wouldn't you know it, as soon as you build a road it fills up with cars ;)

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here