older Trix coach

Started by Jonathan Clapp, June 09, 2011, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Jonathan Clapp on June 18, 2011, 05:26:43 AM
Got the spilt milk (varient: spoilt milk) on this evening, and a nice gloss for water slide decals.
the primer gray looks fine as BR coach roof gray. The ends, chassis and bogies will get a coat of "grimey black"

got the decal design finished and printed a sheet of them, only to have the printer run out of color ink in the middle of the page.  >:( ruined a $3 sheet of decal paper.
that all for tonight. hope to have the finished carriage tomorro night about this time.

Most decal paper for inkjet at least will go through several times !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jonathan Clapp

so this is my first experience with ink-jet printed decals , and I learned alot.

only one side done, dont know now when Ill get a chance to do the other side.

The printer is a Canon MX310 all-in-one, decent consumer electronics grade, I guess.
the paper I have is by Testors. They recommend their own spray fixitive, but I used the Microscale brush-on "decal film", which worked reasonably well. The film did not behave the way I am used to Microscale decals behaving. Even after 5 minutes in the water the film did not "slide" off, but had to be pulled off.  on the plus side it did not curl up at all but lay down straight and true.  once the decal was in place I started working in the bubbles around the details with Microscale solva-set, the film was slow to react I guess its kind of thick and rubbery, and unfortunately the ink thinned and moved around a little when the film finally did stretch and fit down around the hinges and door outlines.
It also shrank back a bit around the edges. Ill have to go back with a thin strip to patch the bottom edge. I havent clear-coated this yet, so I might take it off and try again.  I think I will get sheet of Microscale white film before going on.

Tank

Looking good JC!  Sounds like you're hving fun.  :)

michael

excellent, a very good likness!

:Carriage:

Jonathan Clapp

I paid five bucks for another unknown in a ludicrous Pennsy paint scheme,  it's a Mk I diner, (is is a diner?) now I have two Mk I vehicles, will go into the stripper bath shortly. I have some better Microscale decal paper to print out the crimson NGS forum crimson and cream sides on, so I will soon have a whole train of this stock.

BernardTPM

A Lima BR Mk.1 CK. In real life those two coaches (Lima CK and Minitrix BCK) would be the same length, showing how Lima used 1:160 scale for the coaches, though they made them too wide, probably to help hide the overwidth bogies.
By one of those 'happy' coincidences they did the Mk.1 BG to the same length. In real life these were built on the shorter (57') underframes (like some of the Mk.1 suburbans). As the Lima Mk.1s are about the same width as 'proper' British N coaches this made the BG almost scale. Certainly they made a handy addition to parcels trains before the Farish BG came out, though I didn't use them right next to Farish Mk.1s in the passenger trains as the profiles didn't really match. It was a bit like the case with the old Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang Mk.1 BGs in 00, especially as Minitrix made an overlength BG too!

Jonathan Clapp

'short' and 'wide' almost always apply to LIMA N models.

Jonathan Clapp

my Trix Mk.I is now joined by three Lima vehicles which Ive gotten to the point of applying the red panels.
I mixed the custard is a tad yellower on these.

This train has an engine as well. An old and rather battle scarred Black 5. Ill be looking for advise in restoring that once the coaches are done.

Tank

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations