Holidays in North Wales

Started by Evans, October 13, 2017, 06:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evans

Ok so this is completely non train related, but does anyone have any opinions on the best place to go on holiday in North Wales with the family? Any recommendations on places to stay?
We are pretty open on where to go, and can travel around so that's good.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Chris

Branchie

Evening Chris.

What type of holiday are you after? Active? Relaxation? Cultural? Historic? Railway related?

Any particular part? North West Wales is the probably your best bet (but I'm a big biased). Might be best to talk off forum if you want any particular info.

Branchie.

Bealman

I've stayed in Betws-y-Coed a couple of times and found it most agreeable. Handy for the Ffestiniog, too!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

My brother used to have a caravan at a place called Criccieth. If I remember correctly, the Snowdonia railway is not too far away and we went on another steam train which might have been at Porthmadog, (that is if you are interested in trains   ;D).  Wales is a very nice place for a holiday.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

bridgiesimon

we had a great holiday around north wales this year, trips across to most of the railways as well as the classic car museum on Anglesey. Awesome day on the Welsh Highland Railway as well. As already mentioned, Betws-y-Coed is lovely, a really great waterfall just up the road also worth a visit.

Mega recommended area.
Best wishes
Simon

daffy

Llanberis is a good centre, with its location at the foot of Snowdon, and the station for the Snowdon Railway. Also the Llanberis Lake Railway runs alongside Llyn Padarn (Lake).

Also on the other Llanberis lake, Llyn Peris, is the visitor centre for the hydroelectric power station inside the mountain at Dinorwic (minibus trip into the visitor centre), and the Dinorwic Quarry is also a worthwhile visitor attraction.

From Llanberis the drive up the A4086 through Nant Peris to Pen--y-Pas takes you straight into the heart of Snowdonia. The cafe and other facilities at the top of the pass is the main starting point for walks into the Mt Snowdon area, and to the summit itself, if the mood and fitness take you!

You could continue the drive on the A4086 through beautiful countryside to A5 at Capel Curig (nice shops and cafe)  turning left back westward down the Ogwen valley past the lake of the same name, with the high peaks of the Tryfan range on your left and the Carnedd range on the right. A stop at the western end of Llyn Ogwen, immediately beyond Ogwen Cottage is worthwhile (cafe, NT place), with a good easy walk up into the mountains and the impressive location of Llyn Idwal.
From Ogwen the lovely drive down the Nant Ffrancon valley will take you to Bethesda and Tregarth, where you could turn left to take a twisty road over the mountains back through Deiniolen to Llanberis.

Also, from Llanberis you could take the road westward, with many choices open to you - Caernarfon with its fine town and castle, Bangor (the main town in the area), and the bridges over the Menai Strait to the island of Anglesey, with its fine beach at Newborough, the village with the longest town name in the U.K., Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, and Beaumaris Castle, among other attractions.

And there is still more to visit if you take various scenic routes out toward the north coast, with Conway and its magnificent castle (railway station right next to it), and the seaside resort of Llandudno with the the Great Orme worth a visit.

All in all, there's a lot to do, lots of places to go, and in my view Llanberis is a good centre base. Lots of driving of course to take it all in, but in good weather the scenery is superb.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

signalman1

Llangollen is a nice place , we stay at the Chainbridge hotel which if you request a river facing room looks over both the river Dee and the Llangollen railway. We have stayed there a few times and the breakfasts are amazing, as is the view.

Evans

:thankyousign:
Some great ideas and places to investigate, thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. Going to have to do some googling now and pick one.
Chris

fisherman

just be  careful.... you may come  back  wanting  to  go 009.....
<o({{{<<

stevewalker

Quote from: fisherman on October 15, 2017, 04:05:26 PM
just be  careful.... you may come  back  wanting  to  go 009.....

N6.5 surely?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations