Burglary at Paignton Model Shop

Started by Firemagi, October 11, 2017, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwilnik

Quote from: silly moo on October 16, 2017, 07:01:01 AM
I think it's strange that they had cctv but no burglar alarm system. I assume the cctv was to keep an eye on customers during opening hours.

Useful burglar alarms (ie linked to a security centre) are pretty expensive compared to cctv. Not to mention the hassle (and costs) of all the false alarms etc.
Having said that, I'm surprised they didn't have a motion alert trigger on the cctv. Our basic one has the option to email me on a motion trigger, so would have been logical to have that email the owners of it detects motion in the shop at night when there should be none.

Bealman

Technology apart, it's sad we have to go to these lengths. However, stealing ain't a new art and obviously model railways aren't immune.

Interestingly, in the two times my place has been broken into (yes, it happens here in Australia), the entry point has been through the garage, where my layout lives.

In 1994 the house was trashed from one end to the other, last year all tools stolen, but model railway left untouched!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

silly moo

Perhaps the owners didn't think an alarm was necessary, my cousin lives in Devon and I remember being flabbergasted when he left his mobile phone on top of the dashboard of his unlocked car and nipped into a shop. It was quite a few years ago.

Bealman

silly moo

It's the other extreme here, burglar alarms, motion sensor beams, electric fences and armed response 😧 I wear a panic button on a lanyard round my neck!

trkilliman

Policing has definatly changed in the last few years. That said, a friend who rose to Inspector told me this over 30 years back. He said, "the force is being swamped with graduates. They have a lot of theory but when they have to accompany us to some pub fight/hairy situations they often s**t  themelves, sorry, get nervous and hang back"  Many of them he said rose to high desk bound positions rapidly, and were not street wise.

Traditional Coppers on the beat picked up nuggets of information and could piece together strands of info. So many of them are now desk bound. He also said that at some times of the night central Bristol had just one patrol car in operation. Remember, this was over 30 years back before economic cuts became the byword. We do live in a different World with terror risks, but in response to economic restraints age-old methods of policing have seemingly gone for the most part.

I do hope the culprits of this theft are apprahended, and given a suitable punishment if guilty. I'm sure a lot of stolen property eventually makes it way onto online auction sites. Knowing what was taken would be beneficial to modellers and the trade.

The question is, how high up the priority list is this crime? Just today on breakfast t.v. a  police force has said how they are having to assess priorities when a crime is committed.

I have tried not to sound political, but if I have crossed the line then I apologise upfront.

Bealman

I think  that Ninoz in reply #12 has a valid point.... maybe he's keeping  them, he was so casual.

I'm sure someone  must know him, and the CCTV is reasonably clear.

themadhippy

QuoteI think it's strange that they had cctv but no burglar alarm system
They may well have had an alarm but if it was an old system may have only had perimeter intrusion detection,ie door and window sensors but no motion detection.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations