Advice on buying Locos

Started by open cab, October 01, 2017, 11:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

open cab

Before I hand over my cash I would like to get advice from the knowledge that is out there.
After years in the wilderness I have recently return to the hobby and because space and the new skills required, I need to stick stay small, so my layout has to use minim 9inch curves.
I would like to increase my Loco stock from a Pannier Tank and a Standard Class 4mt Tank to something a bit grander.  Has any one got tried and tested suggestions of Loco's that work well on tight curves please? I'd much prefer from those that do, rather than manufactures data.
Thanks
Open Cab

emjaybee

I can't help with 9" radius curves, but I can say that Farish Jubilees, Coronation Class, Ivatts, Black 5's, Fairburns and a Dapol Western can handle 10" curves just fine.

Good luck.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

zopadooper

I would like to increase my Loco stock from a Pannier Tank and a Standard Class 4mt Tank to something a bit grander.  Has any one got tried and tested suggestions of Loco's that work well on tight curves please? I'd much prefer from those that do, rather than manufactures data.
Thanks
Open Cab
[/quote]

Union Mills locos go round 9" curves and tighter with no problem at all

Newportnobby

The vast majority of my locos are Farish. All my diesels traverse 9" radius curves, as do all my steamers from the lowly 0-6-0 to the latest Duchess 4-6-2, but beware the overhang as they do so.
Where it falls down is with some Dapol steamers, such as my 9Fs, A4, 28xx, Schools and Britannia. Other folks have no issues with theirs. Let's face it, as our locos are hand made, they can't all be the same. I just think Farish drive trains have a bit more 'slop' in them.
Take great care in laying your track as all locos dislike lumps and bumps!

open cab

Thank you for the information. That has given me some wiggle room in my head if not on the layout! :)

port perran

I would pretty much agree with NN. I have 9 in radius curves in my fiddle yard and all my locos manage ok. I havent got a 9F or 28xx or WD however (locos which may struggle).
All I'd say is that coaching stock and longer locos (eg Western-Class52) do rather overhang and look a bit odd. If you are OK with that then you should be ok.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

mattycoops43

I agree with the above. I have several older Farish locos. Class 33, 37, 47 and 08 diesels and an old poole Duchess and they all go round tight corners fine. When I laid some flexi down as a test track to keep my little one happy, I had corners which had spots tighter than 9" and they all went round fine.

Safety Engineer

Don't forget the coaches, some of the newer models have bogie rotation limiters which can't manage 9" radius curves and the buffers may lock up if using close couplers.

Martin

Newportnobby

Fair point, Martin. I only have MK1s and suburbans so that didn't occur to me.
None of my wagons lock buffers either.

Safety Engineer

The Dapol Maunsell's and Farish Bullid's don't like sharp curves, (seems to be to do with the body mounted coupling), one of the reasons I'm in the process of engineering 9" curves into 12" curves on my layout.

(Note for info, 12" radius 009 points almost line up with 11.75" radius set track curves for non scenic applications).

Martin

open cab

Fine advice from one and all. Thank you. I feel better about upping my stock now.

dodger

Quote from: Safety Engineer on October 01, 2017, 11:30:06 PM
The Dapol Maunsell's and Farish Bullid's don't like sharp curves, (seems to be to do with the body mounted coupling), one of the reasons I'm in the process of engineering 9" curves into 12" curves on my layout.

(Note for info, 12" radius 009 points almost line up with 11.75" radius set track curves for non scenic applications).

Martin
I dont have a problem with Dapol Maunsells on 183 mm curves provided I dont use the gangway insert or propel with short couplings.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations