Members List - Quick Question

Started by Tdm, October 19, 2014, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

When scanning through the Members List I noticed in the far right "Posts" column that some members have "blue" rectangles in there of varying sizes. It obviously not just the number of posts made that determines the size of this icon, as some members have made numerous posts but have no blue icon.
Is it the number of "thanks" given to you in posts that determines the size of this icon? Just curious.

Sprintex

It is number of posts ;)

Some members have made posts, but obviously not enough to meet whatever the minimum amount is for the blue icon to "kick in".

Paul

Agrippa

So what's the point of the blue blob ?
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Tdm

Quote from: Agrippa on October 20, 2014, 03:47:23 PM
So what's the point of the blue blob ?

Seems to me like it is just a simple visual marker, the blue blob being used throughout all the statistics tables.

Some of us are slightly dislexic and might read figures the wrong way round, whereas a marker I don't think anyone can misinterpret.

Glad it's not a "white blob" like the one that used to appear out of the Estuary in "The Prisoner" TV Series.  ;D 

Agrippa

Yeah, but what does it do? Whether you're dyslexic. dislexic  or non- dyslexic  what does it tell you?

Brooksy

Quote from: Agrippa on October 20, 2014, 09:03:12 PM
Yeah, but what does it do? Whether you're dyslexic. dislexic  or non- dyslexic  what does it tell you?

Erm, the number of posts a member had made? :whistle:

Agrippa

Yeah , the blob is beside the number of posts , so what does the blob do?

MikeDunn

Quote from: Brooksy on October 20, 2014, 10:38:19 PM
Erm, the number of posts a member had made? :whistle:

You have 3 yellow blobs : 215 posts

Agrippa also has 3 yellow blobs : 2218 posts ...

sjackson (new starter) has 2 yellow blobs - 3 posts

Sprintex has 4 blue blobs - 5062 posts

NPN has 5 blue blobs - 13794 posts (Mick - you really need to get out more  :P)

Tank has 5 red blobs - 5800 posts

So - it seems the number has little to do with the quantity of posts once past maybe 10 - but colour seems to be related to role in the Forum.

Brooksy

Mike, I think you are talking about different blobs. I thought the original question and subsequent discussion was about the blobs on this page:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=mlist;sort=posts;start=0;desc

If you sort the members list by number of posts you see a clear trend in the size of the blue blob and the number of posts.

If you just click on a member profile then you see the blobs Mike talks about, which I do agree seems pretty random (save for colour).

trainsdownunder

Quote from: Sprintex on October 19, 2014, 09:52:49 PM
It is number of posts ;)

Some members have made posts, but obviously not enough to meet whatever the minimum amount is for the blue icon to "kick in".

Paul

The size of the "blob" is relative to the number of posts made in the overall scheme i.e the system works back from the highest number as a full bar and proportions other totals as a ration against this. Due to members like Nobby (yes you should get out more Mick) having a very large number of posts (>10,000) lower numbers like 100 hardly register. eg Nobby... 13,000 =100% bar  A another... 130 posts = 1% bar

Hope that makes sense

Tdm

On another (vBulletin hosted) Forum I regularly use they also have a "thank you" icon which you click on if you wish to show your appreciation of what the poster has just posted.

What happens with that is the number of "thank yous" a person gets are totalled up and after you reach so many your "reputation" is upgraded and you can see yours & other peoples reputations by clicking on a small reputation icon underneath the  Username.

When I click on mine it says "you are on a distinguished road", for some others it says the equivalent of "not yet assessed" and for posters who have had a lot of thank yous it says "you are off the scale". I think this is a standard feature of all vBulletin hosted Forums.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Brooksy on October 21, 2014, 09:09:35 AM
Mike, I think you are talking about different blobs.
D'oh  :smackedface: :headbutt:

Ignore me, I scanned the original mail & thought it was those ones  :-[

Bob Tidbury

One thing that puzzles me is what does trade count mean??
Bob

Caz

What the person's selling rating is on the forum, if you go into someone profile you will see how many items they've sold and what the positive and negative feedback is, this is the result. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Agrippa

So what is the point of the blobs when the number of posts is  already shown for each member?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations