Why certain loco numbers

Started by GWR-Kris, January 15, 2017, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWR-Kris

Maybe an obvious question. But why do manufacturers only produce certain loco numbers. Take dapols manor for example why do they not produce locos in preservation. Is there a reason for this or is it just other numbers are more popular. Or do they have to  get permission from the owners?

Carmont

I do think some preservation locos have been issued. Would I be right in thinking that Farish are issuing Nunney Castle in preserved state? I think it is sound fitted as well.

I'm sure there have been others...

PLD

Usually there is no set rule and identities are picked at random from those that wore the chosen livery in the condition modelled...

With regard to preserved locos, plenty have been done - just a few examples - BOTH of the preserved Royal Scots have now appeared in liveries worn in preservation + Duchess of Hamilton in 1980s/90s mainline running condition, 3 or 4 out of the 6 surviving A4s and just how many versions of Flying Scotsman have there been!!!

Quite often 'Preserved' Locos have had modifications made in preservation that mean that to accurately model that loco would mean a different model to an accurate representation of an in-service example, so they model the condition of the majority of the class for the majority of their lives...

In other cases, preserved identities are deliberately set aside for premium Limited or Special editions - in a few honourable cases to benefit the prototype of it's home railway.

NeMo

Quote from: PLD on January 15, 2017, 09:24:27 PMoften 'Preserved' Locos have had modifications made in preservation that mean that to accurately model that loco would mean a different model to an accurate representation of an in-service example, so they model the condition of the majority of the class for the majority of their lives...

Agreed; this is an important factor with diesels especially. Lots of people want Dapol do to a D1015 'Western Champion' as it runs on the mainline. But that would require changes to the headcode box to include a high intensity spotlight. Not impossible, but a significant alternation.

Similarly 'Flying Scotsman' as she runs in preservation has received numerous changes over her long life. So even when she wears LNER colours in preservation, things like her chimney and the smoke deflectors are features from her days in BR ownership.

There are plenty of models that happen to be preserved locomotives, the Farish prototype 'Deltic' for example. The Farish 'Duchess of Hamilton' boxed set is even more explicitly a preserved train as it ran in the 70s and 80s, complete with appropriate coaches. So there are options out there.

I just think that manufacturers have a minefield to cross when it comes to getting the right numbers, liveries, and detailing parts right. All too often hobbyists go nuts when a loco with the wrong tender for its livery (or whatever) is produced!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Bealman

Are Farish still producing the prototype Deltic? It's a model I've always wanted to acquire, but Britain's Model Trains lists it as not being in the 2016 catalogue.

Just curious  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

koyli55002

Nope....but a few available on that auction site - including one at what seems to be a very good price.

Western Exile

Quote from: Bealman on January 16, 2017, 07:14:33 AM
Are Farish still producing the prototype Septic? It's a model I've always wanted to acquire, but Britain's Model Trains lists it as not being in the 2016 catalogue.

Just curious  :thumbsup:

No longer in production but several are currently available on eBay including one in the Merseyside Express set. £76 last time in looked.
(not Dr.) Al

Bealman

Thanks, folks. Sorry about the error in my post. Precursive text on mobile phone!  :thumbsup:

Western Exile

Quote from: Bealman on January 16, 2017, 07:52:01 AM
Thanks, folks. Sorry about the error in my post. Precursive text on mobile phone!  :thumbsup:

At least two of us knew what you meant  :D
(not Dr.) Al

Bealman

Ok..... next (probably dumb) question.... which I have a feeling has been answered already on the forum,

It seems to be a very popular model - why discontinue it?

Ian Morton

Quote from: Bealman on January 16, 2017, 08:06:19 AM
Ok..... next (probably dumb) question.... which I have a feeling has been answered already on the forum,

It seems to be a very popular model - why discontinue it?
Models are now produced in batches. The production line is set up to run (for example) 500 of a particular model/livery variation and once it is sold out, that's your lot. If the manufacturer thinks that they can sell more then a year or two later they will produce another run but with a livery variation/different running number or similar.

I'm sorry to say that the days when models would be available off the shelf for the entire time that they were in the catalogue have long gone.

Bealman

Thanks for that. I am not in the market for new locos all that often, but I see things in the press and think, geez, that's nice.

But then I put off buying it.

I guess if I see it in future, I'd better jump right in!

Thanks, folks.  :thumbsup:

dodger

Some manufacturers add number to a body that is not correct, eg Dapol BR terriers with a long bunker never fitted to the particular locos or BR livery to an M7 that was cut up in 1937. So how do they arrive at a number?

Dodger

Bealman

I think we are referring to numbers of models produced rather than actual numbers on the real thing.

dodger

Quote from: Bealman on January 16, 2017, 08:38:42 AM
I think we are referring to numbers of models produced rather than actual numbers on the real thing.
To me the early posts seem to refer to identities not the production length.

Dodger

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations