The World's Tiniest Masterpieces

Started by Newportnobby, July 09, 2018, 03:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Did anyone else see the Channel 4 programme about Willard Wigan, a guy who creates miniature masterpieces that can only be seen under a microscope such as carvings in the eye of a needle or on a pinhead. He made his smallest ever piece towards the end of the programme which was a baby (complete with arms legs, eyes, nose, mouth etc) inserted into one of his own hairs from his head. Evidently the baby was just 1/800th of a mm tall :goggleeyes:

His main problems are static and his own breathing. He'd made a diorama of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party but accidentally inhaled Alice!

I don't know whether this is available on Catch Up or whatever, but please make an effort to see it if you can. Like some of his masterpieces, you'll be blown away ;)

Papyrus

I set it to record last night as it looked interesting, but haven't seen it yet. Seems like I did the right thing!

Thanks for the review.

Cheers,

Chris

thebrighton

I've not watched it yet but it is available on catch up until 7 August.

Yet_Another

Thanks for this. I've just watched it, very inspirational.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Mr Sprue

I wonder if he could make a layout in one!  :hmmm:

On a more serious note, yes absolutely amazing stuff especially as the guy suffers from autism!

Fardap

Caught up with it last night, truly astonishing.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 09, 2018, 03:55:37 PM
His main problems are static and his own breathing. He'd made a diorama of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party but accidentally inhaled Alice!

If you know anything about Lewis Carol, the rest of the party were probably inhaling something else  :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: Snowwolflair on July 11, 2018, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on July 09, 2018, 03:55:37 PM

If you know anything about Lewis Carol, the rest of the party were probably inhaling something else  :D

:laughabovepost:

Trev

I met him at an exhibition in Llangollen some years ago where he had 12 pieces on display in specially constructed cases with built-in magnification areas.  He's a very interesting guy.
My favourite was a lady in full Welsh costume sat on the side of a stone bridge over a stream, which, if my memory serves me right, had been carved into a grain of rice.
He explained how he has to massively calm his heart rate before he starts as the pulses of blood through his fingertips can affect the carving accuracy - Mind blown!

Here are some images of some of his work
https://www.google.com/search?q=willard+wigan&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOj5jtw5vcAhWqC8AKHYHMCE0Q_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=885
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

Papyrus

Finally got around to watching this last night - WOW!

Almost as interesting as his sculptures was his backstory - severely dyslexic, can't read or write, humiliated by his teacher at primary school. What an inspirational man.

Cheers,

Chris

Bob Tidbury

Thankyou Mick for letting us know about Willard Wigan I watched that program last night and the bit at the end was absolutely incredible ,It makes even the finest N Gauge modelers look like a beginner .How he has the patience to keep doing that when I get really frustrated just trying to put the springs back in a Dapol easy shunt coupling.
Bob Tidbury

Delboy

WOW! What a talent and inspiration Willard is. Just watched the programme and thoroughly enjoyed it. Everytime I get frustrated with things going wrong I will reflect on his wonderful patience and hopefully stay calm. Absolutely brilliant viewing. Thanks for sharing.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Hailstone

I have just finished watching the programme and understand only too well the frustration of tiny pieces disappearing into the blue, it happens to me all the time! Willard's patience is off the scale - hats off to him, he is an absolute genius.

Regards,

Alex

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations