Can you resist temptation?

Started by trkilliman, August 11, 2018, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: petejones on August 12, 2018, 12:32:36 AM
No I don't get tempted by offers or new releases. I decided on a time period and a location (East Anglia in the mid-1970s) and that helps a lot on what I collect. I liked the look of the Dapol Class 56 when it was on offer recently, but it's too late a timeframe and wasn't used in East Anglia anyway, so I walked away from that one...

Pete

Don't forget that the Romanian built 56s were delivered via the Harwich-Zeebrugge train ferry and therefore travelled through East Anglia between August 1976 and September 1977, so that could be an excuse for a blue one.......
They also travelled to Stratford Works from the Sheffield Division in this time period for having their many faults put right!
Only one I saw on delivery was 56 021 being towed through Ipswich Station en route to Barrow Hill/Tinsley back in March 1977.

The Q

Finance is always the limit with me,  however I have an odd dilemma at the moment.
I fancy the Dapol Grange, but my GWR layout is EM gauge.
I Fancy the Hornby J36, Maude, but my Scottish layout is N gauge

paulprice

I thought by modelling LMS only I would be able to limit the amount of stock I purchase, the problem is with some of the deals out there, even when you factor in the time and cost of repainting they are very very hard to resist  :'(

Lankyman

Quote from: Yet_Another on August 11, 2018, 08:56:06 PM
Having been bitten by several expensive 'bugs' in the past (see my user name), and being a bit of a completist, I have learned to pick and choose, or be very poor. I have managed to limit the N gauge to specific requirements, but I'm only human, and I have allowed myself a few indulgences outside of these parameters. Eg. the Graham Farish 64xx and two autocoaches has no place in my plans, but is lovely; and given that I'm modelling the mid-70s to mid-80s, I couldn't not have a HST, even though there were no scheduled services in the Cheshire area.

I even managed to resist all the cheap Dapol 56s until the right blue one turned up in the discount section.

A bargain's only a bargain if it's something you already wanted. Otherwise, it's just another triumph of marketing over common sense.(c)

I don't want to add to your temptation and I don't know the exact dates but in the mid to late 1980's, when I was working in Crewe and we got out early on Friday afternoons, we used to travel home to Preston on a Bournemouth to Glasgow service on a HST. I distinctly remember it coming in somewhat late one week hauled by a Class 47 using an emergency drawbar. I am sure that round about the same time there were some HST services from Manchester Piccadilly to the South and West using HST's via Macclesfield. That's two routes in Cheshire and you could check the dates more accurately to see if they fit your period.

Ron
Ron

Yet_Another

Apologies for the thread drift, and thank you for your thoughts. Fortunately, I'm looking at the other side of Crewe, on the Holyhead line to Chester, and really tailing off at 1983-5. Having said that, both the HST sets that I possess are Western  :hmmm:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Skyline2uk

Can I resist temptation?

Yes.

Is it hard and do I always?

Yes and no.

My issue is basically FOMO (fear of missing out), especially with Revolution stuff.
I also have a history of FOMO with bargains at shows, TINGS being a prime example.

My wife and I have a fair arrangement on spending on our hobbies, but that has the impact of essentially doubling the cost of a purchase on the household budget. With a new arrival due, I am sure I don't need to explain the conflict felt to the many parents / grandparents on this forum when "spending on myself".

At the end of the day it's a hobby that is supposed to be fun, so it shouldn't cause grief, and I am sure I will get the priorities right  :D

Skyline2uk

Lankyman

Quote from: Yet_Another on August 12, 2018, 11:01:24 PM
Apologies for the thread drift, and thank you for your thoughts. Fortunately, I'm looking at the other side of Crewe, on the Holyhead line to Chester, and really tailing off at 1983-5. Having said that, both the HST sets that I possess are Western  :hmmm:

I remember HST's working the Euston - Holyhead service in the mid-80's. We had to publish an instruction that, if only one power car was working, they weren't allowed to depart Holyhead unless they were assisted by another loco to avoid them stalling on the steep gradient immediately outside the station.

Ron
Ron

dannyboy

Quote from: Skyline2uk on August 13, 2018, 08:07:00 AM
With a new arrival due .......................... I am sure I will get the priorities right  :D

Sounds to me like somebody got his priorities wrong a few months back - obviously not concentrating on model trains!  ;D
(Not sure if I have said this earlier, but congratulations to you both  :thumbsup:).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: dannyboy on August 13, 2018, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: Skyline2uk on August 13, 2018, 08:07:00 AM
With a new arrival due .......................... I am sure I will get the priorities right  :D

Sounds to me like somebody got his priorities wrong a few months back - obviously not concentrating on model trains!  ;D
(Not sure if I have said this earlier, but congratulations to you both  :thumbsup:).

:laughabovepost:

:o

Careful now (where is my Farther Ted meme when I need it?!), family forum....

Well, bigger family soon  :smiley-laughing:

Skyline2uk

Invicta Alec

I wrote recently "I have absolutely no interest in steam, my little fleet is exclusively EMUs/DMUs".
My layout is firmly set in 1987....'ish.

I have spotted however Graham Farish N Longmoor Military Railway Train Pack 370-400. It contains something called a WD Austerity Class No.400 'Sir Guy Williams' and three MK1 suburban brake end coaches LMR blue livery.

Well.......Um.....I like trains and maybe I shouldn't be so rigid with my fleet. It might be kinda nice to have a little dark blue steam train running around the track for a change. So............

I found a 2015 thread on this forum reviewing aforesaid loco. Seems it was a bag of nails. I didn't really want it anyway  :unimpressed:

:thankyousign: :thankyousign:

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations