Much ado about not very much

Started by port perran, July 09, 2018, 08:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Quote from: dannyboy on July 15, 2018, 01:42:25 PM
Not only do we get the story in instalments, the instalments are getting smaller!  :o  :)
But there may be another one later.....
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

dannyboy

"may be" ........................ you do have a sadistic streak Sir!  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

port perran

DI Skinner had no real reason to be suspicious of Tommy Rowe but suspicious he was. Maybe it was the way Tommy had cast a furtive glance towards the two policemen as he left the Railway Inn.
The Inspector ordered Sergeant Reynolds to follow the young man  even if it meant catching the train to Newquay.
And that is exactly what happened. Tommy boarded the train at Tregonning station whilst the sergeant got into the same single carriage but at the other end.
Meanwhile, Dave Skinner went back to the police station at Truro and got straight on the telephone to a colleague in Newquay.
Newquay police agreed to send a constable, Wally Doyle, to Newquay railway station to meet Sargeant Reynolds.
DI Skinner was keen to find out who Tommy's girlfriend was.
As was hoped, when the train arrived at Newquay, Tommy leapt off into the arms of a rather buxom young lass and the two made their way straight off the platform and headed into town.
Tom Reynolds met up with Wally Doyle and the two of them watched young Tommy Rowe disappear with the young girl.
It soon became apparent that the girl was known to the police in Newquay. Wally Doyle  had been a PC in newquay for 30 years had never risen above the rank of Constable. He loved his job however and he loved Newquay. Nothing much  happened in Newquay that PC Doyle missed. He saw and knew everyone and was well liked by the public.
"She be Daisy Wills" Wally said to Tom "we bin watchin' 'er fer a while now y'know. .She'd b'long to the circus which be in town all Summer. 'Er dad be the tingmaster. She'll be sev'nteen I think. All the lads got eyes fer 'er but she'd seem to be taken by young Tommy Rowe from Tregonnin'. But you de know that dun't 'e. Young Tommy 'e do follow 'er round like a little puppy dog 'e do"
"So why's she known to Newquay nick?" Asked Tom Reynolds.
"She be a bit of a pickpocket we da think" replied Wally Doyle. "She da prey on tourists 'n grockels. Tis usually on'y a bob 'ere or a 'alf crown thur but tis a nuisance. We da think she da use young Tommy Rowe as a decoy. 'E do engage someone in conversation and she, quick ad a flash, 'ave picked thur pockets. We'm tryin' to catch the pair of 'em in the act but they'm a might clever".
"I see" said Sarge Reynolds, "Have their been any complaints to the police?"
"A few" replied PC Doyle, "Las' week we 'ad five or six. 'Cludin' a very detailed one from a real old know it all from down your way . Someone by the name of Baggs. Bit of an ol' nosey parker if you do ask me".
"Really",smirked Sarge Reynolds, "That is very interesting indeed. Very interesting indeed"
With that the two officers set off towards Newquay police station. Tom Reynolds was keen to cast his eye over the written record of the complaint by Mrs Baggs.

Back in Truro, DI Skinner made his way to his office looking forward to a refreshing cup of coffee. On opening his door, the telephone was ringing. He thought about ignoring it but changed his mind.
"Hello Inspector Skinner, this is Mrs  Baggs............"

cornish yorkie

:hellosign: Many thanks Martin, looking forward to more
        regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Caz

Quote from: dannyboy on July 15, 2018, 01:42:25 PM
Not only do we get the story in instalments, the instalments are getting smaller!  :o  :)

What we need is a "podcast"    ::)   :wave:
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Chris in Prague

Quote from: cornish yorkie on July 15, 2018, 06:31:41 PM
:hellosign: Many thanks, Martin, looking forward to more
        regards Derek.

Seconded!

port perran

Daisy Wills and Tommy Rowe made straight for the square in Newquay town centre. Tommy wanted to stop for a quick kiss and cuddle at the back of the old warehouse but Daisy was having none of it "Tourists are flocking into town today Tommy with this lovely weather. It's rich pickings for us if we can keep our wits together".
"Alright Daisy" replied Tommy", "Usual procedure is it? I'll ask the time or ask for directions and you see what you can nab".
"That's right" said Daisy, "Just half an hour should get us a few quid. We don't want to overstay our welcome or draw attention to ourselves".
"Ok" Tommy replied, "But Daisy, I'm a bit worried about that Baggs woman we robbed yesterday. She's from my village and I just hope she didn't recognise me"
"Oh don't you be worrying about her" sniggered Daisy, " She won't worry us. After all I only managed two bob from her. And my brother drinks in the Railway Inn in Tregonning. He was in there last night and heard a couple of old blokes saying that she'd moaned to them about being pickpocketed. Apparently she recognised me not you because she was at the circus on Monday. Anyway, my brother, Winston left a note in the phone box and one through her door this morning. That should frighten her off".
"Oh, I heard about that when I was in the pub this morning before catching the train to meet you" retorted Tommy, "Two coppers were in asking the landlord if he knew what was going on"
"Did the police say anything to you?" said Daisy.
"No" replied Tommy. "I decided to drink up quick and get out of there".
"There you are then", laughed Daisy, "We have nothing to worry about. Let's get busy. See that chap in the stripy blazer. Ask him the way to the station. Looks like he has some loose change in his left pocket".

Back in Truro, DI Skinner gulped down his coffee and made his way back to his car in order to return to Tregonning. He had a nagging feeling that Mrs Baggs was going to give him earache.

port perran

Daisy and Tommy spent a very worthwhile hour in the square in Newquay. There were so many people about that they decided to stay longer than their usual thirty minutes.
The pair amassed a tidy sum of £32. Much more than their usual few pounds but their pot was boosted by two old and well worn ten pound notes that Daisy managed to snaffle from a well dressed gentleman who had the two notes hanging out of his back pocket. It was so easy for Daisy to help herself as Tommy enquired as to the time.
Little did the pair of them know that hiding in the entrance to the rather imposing Post Office building two pairs of eyes were watching their every move.
Tom Reynolds nodded to Wally Doyle, "Looks like we've seen everything we need to see Wally. What say we nab them now?"
"Nah, Tom", replied Wally, "I da wanna see where they two do go next. I got a feelin' in me bones that they may be up to more no good. Let's follow they two fur a bit. See what further mischief they be up to".
Daisy and Tommy set off out of town headed towards the zoo.
The two police officers followed at a discreet distance.

Meanwhile DI Dave Skinner was all set to head back to Tregonning. Before he left he radioed through to young PC Jacobs and arranged to meet him at Tregonning railway station. Despite his original run in with Jacobs at the telephone box, Dave Skinner had been impressed with the youngster's enthusiasm so decided to let him tag along to meet Mrs Baggs.
As DI Skinner drove into the station yard he spotted Cracker Jacobs reading a hand written notice displayed on the station wall.
"What's that you're looking at lad?" , enquired the DI.
"Oh, I'm so sorry sir", replied Cracker, "I was just reading this notice. I didn't see you coming".
Skinner looked at the young PC and smiled which immediately put Cracker at ease. "What does it say?" Asked the older man.
"Oh it's just an advert for the circus at Newquay. An extra show on Saturday it seems. Handwritten it is on bright mauve paper, that's what made it stand out. Saturday is my day off", replied young Jacobs, "I may well go over with my girlfriend".
"Good for you", DI Skinner replied, "Sounds like fun".
With that Cracker got into DI Skinner's car and the two of them set off to find Mrs Baggs' house on the other side of the village.
Back in Newquay, Daisy and Tommy strolled out of town in the direction of the zoo. "Daisy come on, you said we could stop for a kiss n cuddle and that. Look at that old church over there. Must be somewhere quiet round the back" pleaded Tommy.
"Oh that's all you can think about Tommy Rowe, all you can think about", replied Daisy, "There'll be plenty of time for that later if you're lucky. For now, we must hurry over to the zoo. There's important business to be dealt with over there".
"But we'll have to pay to get in there", said Tommy, "That means we'll waste some of our hard earned money".
"Don't you be worrying about that",said Daisy as she pulled Tommy into a shop entrance where she gave him a quick peck on the lips, "That's a taste of what to expect later. Now, let's skip off to the zoo. We're to meet my brother Winston at the entrance".
Fortified by the brief kiss, Tommy ran after Daisy.
Daisy really had very little interest in Tommy Rowe. He was just a convenient helper. Daisy had promised him a half share of the pickings bur she had no intention of ever handing over any of the cash. She and her brother, who also had a profitable little scam running, were desperate to leave the circus. The money would be their means of escape.
Five minutes layer the pair met Winston just outside the zoo entrance where Winston handed Daisy an envelope before sidling off up the hill opposite.
Tom Reynolds and Wally Doyle looked on with growing interest from a discreet distance.
"What's in the envelope?" Tommy asked of Daisy. "Oh, it's posters for the circus. We have an extra show on Saturday and these posters advertise it. My dad who is the ringmaster will give us a penny for each poster we manage to display. Seems to me people who go to the zoo will also go to the circus" Daisy replied.
With that Daisy led Tommy to the side of the zoo where a small gap in the fence allowed free entry. Once in, the pair were busy pasting posters up all over the place.
"See, it's easy money" said Daisy. "I'll hand over your share when we have half an hour to ourselves later",she said to Tommy with a wink.
With that, Tommy felt a large heavy hand on his shoulder. Daisy turned and ran. Unfortunately straight into the burly arms of Sergeant Reynolds.
"We've done nothing", screamed Daisy, "Unless putting up these posters is against the law"
"We'll see about that" replied Sargeant Reynolds. "Now, you two are coming with us down to the police station".
Daisy quietened down but Tommy, scared witless started to weep and blubber as they made their way back to the zoo entrance.
"I've called up a van" said Wally Doyle, "It'll be 'ere drekkly, then we'll 'ave a word with these two vagabonds".

Back in Tregonning, DI Skinner and PC Jacobs walked up to Mrs Baggs' door.
"So, young Cracker, let's see what Mrs what not has to witter about this time" said Skinner as he knocked the door authoritatively.

port perran

I forgot to add this picture, which fits the story,  to my last post.

DI Skinner has just arrived at Tregonning station in his white Ford Anglia to collect PC Cracker Jacobs prior to visiting Mrs Baggs.
Cracker is so busy reading the notice about the extra circus date, which has been somewhat crudely pasted to the station wall, that he hardly notices the DI's arrival.
The 45xx simmers having arrived some ten minutes earlier with a train fron Newquay.

Train Waiting

That's a lovely photograph, Martin.  Cornwall in summer.

Thank you.
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

[I've been away for a couple of days so only a short episode this evening till I get back in the swing of the story]

Cracker Jacobs knocked on Mrs Baggs' door which was quickly opened by her friend Molly Smith.
"Hello", said DI Skinner, " How are you and how is Mrs Baggs?"
"Oh I'm ok and she's a little better" replied Molly, " but she's had a nasty shock. Come on in and you can have a word with her".
Cracker and Dave Skinner made their way through the hallway, with its row of Constable prints on the wall to find Mrs Baggs sitting in the parlour. The letter was sotting on the table.
Whilst DI Skinner asked Mrs Baggs a few questions PC Jacobs studied the note which was badly written, largely using capital letters.
Cracker picked it up and studied it again then from further away.
"Sir", he said to the DI, "Can I borrow this for a few minutes. I'd like to check something out"
"Of course" replied Dave Skinner "but be careful with it. It's valuable evidence".
With that Cracker dashed out of the house and ran as fast as he could back towards the railway station........

Chris in Prague

The story is progressing very well, Martin.

port perran

In Interview One at Newquay Police Station, Tommy Rowe sat nervously clutching a cup of weak, sweet tea. His knees were trembling and he felt a tight knot forming in his stomach.
"Now then young man. What have you got to say for yourself" asked Sergeant Tom Reynolds.
"I, I've done nothin'", replied Tommy struggling to get his words out, "Nothin' at all. We was just up at the zoo. We ain't got no money so sneaked in wivout payin'. I'm so sorry. We didn't mean no 'arm. I won't do it again thas for sure"
"And you didn't do anything else in the town centre then?.", asked the sergeant in a stern voice, "Is there anything you'd like to tell me about?"
"No nothin' at all", came the reply, "We went straight up to the zoo from the train.Like I said, we ain't got no money so couldn't do nothin' else".
In Interview Room Two. Daisy Wills sat much more confidently. Her eyes staring defiantly at PC Wally Doyle who asked "So Daisy, You be in a spot a bother I'm thinkin'. What 'ave you got to say for yerself?"
"You lot don't scare me", Daisy replied confidently, "You can't prove anything. We didn't do anything wrong. It isn't fair. Just because I'm a circus girl you lot always think I'm up to no good"
"Well, we'll be seein' about that", replied PC Doyle, "I be givin' you a chance to tell yer story. Might do e a bit a good. Now, I'm askin' again. What you bin up to?".
"Nothing" said Daisy, "Nothing at all. And you can't prove I have".
"OK. 'Ave it your way", said Wally, "I got plenty of time and I can tell e you be in a lot of trouble lassie".

Back at Tregonning, PC Cracker Jacobs arrived, somewhat out of puff, back at the railway station still clutching the note that had been sent to Mrs Baggs.
He went round to the side of the station and yes, it was still there. The poster advertising the extra performance at the circus was still there.  Cracker stared at the poster then stared at the note in his hand. His eyes returned to the poster...."Just as I thought", Cracker muttered to himself, "Just as I thought".
With that he tore the poster from the wall of the station and hurried back to Mrs Baggs' house to reveal what he'd suspected to DI Skinner.

Earlier, Winston Wills had strolled from Newquay zoo to the station where he caught the afternoon train to Tregonning. The mixture of coins, passed to him at Newquay Zoo, jangled in his pockets.
Leaving the train at Tregonning station, Winston wandered up to an old disused barn at the abandoned East Hill Farm. He entered the barn, instinctively making his way to the old crate in the corner. He moved the crate and lifted the trap door beneath. A familiar action. Reaching down he lifted the rusty old cash box which was hidden by an old tarpaulin. He dropped the coins in.
"Not much longer" he thought to himself, "Not much longer before I can escape from that lousy circus and my stupid sister thinks she's coming with me. Hah, fat chance of that".
With that Winston replaced the trap door and the old crate before making his way down to the Railway Inn in Tregonning for a well earned pint or two.

talisman56

Quote from: port perran on July 20, 2018, 07:37:02 PM
[I've been away for a couple of days so only a short episode this evening till I get back in the swing of the story]

... The letter was sotting on the table.

Is that something that can be cleared up easily? :)
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

port perran

At Newquay Police Station, Wally Doyle asked Daisy to empty her bag, confident that it would be full of loose change. Wally kept a straight face as the contents of the bag were checked. No coins at all but tucked into the rear of a small red purse were two ten pound notes.
"Where d'ya get they?" Asked PC Doyle.
"None of your business really", replied Daisy, "But if you must know, tis my wages for last month at the circus. Tent much but it'll do"
"Ok. And what would you say if we did know the serial numbers on them there notes?" Replied the policeman.
"I'd say you lot planted them" exclaimed Daisy, quick as a flash.
With that Sergeant Reynolds entered the room, "Daisy Wills, I'm arresting you on a charge of pickpocketing and unlawfully entering the zoo. Your friend, Tommy Rowe has confessed to everything. Oh, and for your information, the chap you stole those two tenners from is a retired Police Sergeant acting out the part of a stranger. Daisy Wills you're not as smart as you think".
"The lousy yellowneck. I'll do fer that whimpy Tommy Rowe. You see if I don't" yelled Daisy.

Back at Mrs Baggs' house Cracker Jacobs asked to see DI Skinner outside. "Sir",he said "It's as I thought. The writing on this note matches the writing on the poster. It was written by the same person. I'm absolutely certain"
DI Skinner scrutinised the two sheets of paper, "Well I'm blowed. Well done young man. Well done indeed".

Meanwhile, in the Railway Arms, Winston, Daisy's brother, sat quietly in the corner nursing his pint. He barely noticed the burly but well dressed man come in and walk up to the bar.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations