Model Railway Timetable Software

Started by Wishmaster, August 30, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

Not sure if this is the correct 'hole' for this but it is PC related I guess!  :D

Was having a day oyt pn Friday operating a friends faily large layout with him. We started discussing timetables, he had knocked up something small and basic in Excel but we both agreed it's not quite the thing for it. Having now spent a couple of hours on google to see what's about I've drawn a blank.

Does anyone have or know of any software that's available for the purpose of model railway timetables. Surely in this day and age there must be something? Ideally free, ideally easy, ideally windows 7 compatible.

Any suggestions?

MJKERR

I too have never found anything that meets my needs
Agreed, a Working Timetable in Excel seems to be the only solution

I was considering using a Power Point Presentation, but this can't take into account arrival delays

I have seen a few exhibition layouts use turn cards
As each train passes through the area the next card is presented
This is ideal with no need to stick strictly to a timescale

MJKERR

msr

MRTT has been around for a while but I don't think is being developed any further. Here's the link:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mrtt.support/index.html

Timetables on the real railway used to be planned with line graphs. There is an Excel template available to do this available from here (search down to Train Scheduling for the links):
http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rrsoft.htm

Caz

Probably not much help unless you are DCC but the Railroad & Co Train Controller software has a built in timetable operating facility.  I've programmed various old timetables into it to run Claywell, especially the Fairford Branch as I can then select whatever timetable I fancy (I have 1880 through to 1962) and the software then runs all the trains automatically if needed.

The cheapest version of the software is Bronze and you can download and program it for free but it only gives you 15 minutes of train operating time until you buy it.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Wishmaster

Just seen this.... been too busy playing board games (including Ticket to Ride!) all afternoon and evening!

Both Train Scheduler and MRTT look interesting after very brief perusal. Not looked far, and just off to bed, so some bank holiday research is all set to go tomorrow! Hadn't seen Train Schedular in any of my searches. Heard of MRTT but missed it's website and then passed it by because I'd seen it mentioned that it wasn't compatible passed xP, seems not entirely the case.

A good start!! Thanks so far.

Wishmaster

Sorry, meant to comment on the powerpoint/turn cards ideas too....

Yes, we had a thought about powerpoint too, but came to the same conclusion, too limited in it's use really. Although it could look good!

As to turn cards, well I was wondering if Microsoft Access might be able to do something. Once all the data was entered as records then you could tab through each record (train movements, etc). Again possibly too limited but if you could play around a bit it might be a bit more flexible than powerpoint..... Just thoughts really...

D1042 Western Princess

I don't know of any recent computer software to fit the bill, but I did have a programme for my old (anyone under 30 may need to visit a museum at this point to see what I mean) Spectrum 48.
However, the Working Time Table for Peltin Down has been worked out on graph paper, using free pathways from the real WTT for Taunton in 1969, with various coloured pencils to represent different types of train. Old fashioned, I know, but it was prototypical of the time and it works for me.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Caz

When I was initially working out my timetables I put the data from a WTT into Microsoft Excel and output the data as a graph, didn't know at the time that was what the pros did.   :)

Here's the Fairford Branch 1948 timetable output.

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%