serious PC problem

Started by scotsoft, August 01, 2015, 07:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsoft

I can get into the Bios and I can't see anything amiss there. I did select to load in the default settings, but that had no effect.

I am completely baffled and that is why I posted here in the hope someone would point out something I had missed or forgotten.

I have a smart phone and a tablet which are fine for basic use.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jack

I still might go for a clean out and while you're inside check to see if all the plugs are firmly in place and there is no visible signs of problems. It unlikely, depending on the plugs, but one may have worked loose with vibration or other movements.

I've been lead to believe that the original term "computer bug" came about because when an IBM engineer in the very early days, when valves were used, found a fault caused by dead bugs inside the casing.

Google computer dust problems to see how it can kill a PC.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Malc

I would suspect a memory chip as Caz said on an earlier post. Some BIOS allow you to do a full POST rather than the cursory one it normally does. Worth trying. It takes s time as it does check every memory location. But if it starts to load, I don't see anything else it could be. Try popping the chip(s) out and reseating. Heating effects can cause poor connections.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Bealman

Ooh ah. Getting heavy... these days I reckon it's easier and possibly cheaper to go out and buy a new laptop.

The problem of lost data remains, however. That's why I'm tempted to go out and buy one of those Seagate back up drives.

Doesn't help with your prob, though, John.

Sorry!

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MikeDunn

Quote from: scotsoft on August 01, 2015, 10:09:48 PM
No, I cannot get into safe mode.
The computer is freezing just as it starts to load in Windows and it is always at the same point that it freezes.

I did try a few of the options that were available for me to choose from.
Hmmm.  Safe Mode selection is before Windows is loaded ...

Can you (in BIOS) select the full self-test (normally PCs do the abbreviated one); this may show a problem area.  Otherwise ... can you talk us through what happens from when you start from cold, each change the system makes ?  It's starting to sound like the issues are outside Windows and with the PC itself ...

Newportnobby

Sounds very similar to the problem I had with my laptop a couple of months ago, John.
I had to get Windows removed then reloaded onto it (cost me about £50)

MalcolmInN

If you are navigating the bios ok that means keyboard is not the problem (one of the first things the bios checks)
I was about to suggest that it may hang on trying to load Windows which could be memory or other chips problem OR it could be a bricked drive (the bios can not find the MBR on the drive).
Is there any indication of the drive spinning / repeated clickings, flashing of the drive activity led on the keyboard.

In which case an exotic solulution may be to try to boot from a "Live CD" Linux installation or a Live flash stick in the USB
Can you get to another computer to download one ?
Smaller ones (eg. Puppy) are about a 700Mb download.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 02, 2015, 11:56:17 AM

In which case an exotic solulution may be to try to boot from a "Live CD" Linux installation or a Live flash stick in the USB
Can you get to another computer to download one ?
Smaller ones (eg. Puppy) are about a 700Mb download.
'scuse quoting myself, now that I have had coffee and got brain cell working ! :-
No need for full Linux OS
you can download smaller Live ones specally with diagnostic tools, for CD or flashUSB   ( or even floppy if your machine , , , :) no ? :)  )
Google ' Linux live diagnostic ' or even ' recovery disc '

Not played with them myself, only the larger Linuxes.

Jon898

Had a similar issue a couple of years ago and finally decided it was a corrupted part (boot section?) of the hard drive.  Since I did not have a recovery disk/drive  :doh:, the only solution I could come up with was to replace the drive and start fresh.  Since I wanted to recover the data I had on the bad drive if possible, I invested in an new drive and a SATA to USB adapter to see what I could recover from the old drive.  Total cost was under US$100 and I managed to recover approximately 90% of what I wanted from the "bad" drive.

May or may not be the same issue but did not see it mentioned as a possibility above.

MalcolmInN

Good point by Jon , another advantage of the Live CD/Flash approach is that the tools included can attempt recovery of data from the C drive (from all of the C if the problem is elswhere in the dead computer )

It sounds like the BIOS is ok, so with luck it will still have its 'boot from CD' ability (need the boot order changing in the BIOS) ? and also  'boot from USB' (needing enabling (toggling) in the BIOS ).

If all else fails, get the drive out and into a USB caddy or harness and then plug it into your new computal :)

Jack

Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 02, 2015, 02:21:17 PM

It sounds like the BIOS is ok, so with luck it will still have its 'boot from CD' ability (need the boot order changing in the BIOS) ? and also  'boot from USB' (needing enabling (toggling) in the BIOS ).

It was mentioned at the beginning that the Win7 Disc was tried so as to reinstall but even that didn't work, even if the HDD didn't start, normal BIOS default would move to the next option looking for an OS to boot from, usually the Disk Drive.

A case strip, with the exception of the cpu from MB (unless you have some thermo grease to refit), and clean may help in that everything will have been reseated into its relevant clean socket, memory chip, daughterboards etc.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

MikeDunn

Quote from: Jack on August 02, 2015, 02:46:48 PM
It was mentioned at the beginning that the Win7 Disc was tried so as to reinstall but even that didn't work
Er - no !

I think you mis-read that particular post ...

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Jack on August 02, 2015, 02:46:48 PM
Quote from: MalcolmAL on August 02, 2015, 02:21:17 PM

It was mentioned at the beginning that the Win7 Disc was tried so as to reinstall but even that didn't work, even if the HDD didn't start, normal BIOS default would move to the next option looking for an OS to boot from, usually the Disk Drive.
Ok, so the BIOS is already set to look at the CD for bootable OS. But I still dont follow your logic.
The original post says "I have an original Windows 7 CD"
it doesnt say THE original, if you want to analyse everything that has gone earlier !
Just cos it wont boot to A windoze OS (either on CD or on HD) dont mean it wont boot to a Linux rescue disc ( which by its nature will not go looking for every bit of hardware on the computer which may have failed and that Windoze may require to be present etc&etc )

Anyway there is always the saying "any port in a storm" and I was not precluding any of the other suggestions of blowing out cobwebs, reseating chips etc.
We still dont know if he has access to another computer to obtain such a rescue, I just thort it a cost free option to mention, was all.

MikeDunn

John,

It may be worth trying this : http://www.7tutorials.com/create-usb-memory-stick-system-recovery-tools

Won't hurt your PC on boot / running, but may help recover.  Sounds like you may have damage to the disk and/or essential files very early in the local boot process.

scotsoft

Thanks for all your suggestions, I am very grateful.

I am going to work through them all and will report back when I have.
So if I don't appear online you will know I am working through your suggestions which will take me some time. I just don't want you to think I am ignoring you by not replying to your posts.

:NGaugersRule:

Cheers John.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations