Tankers Black Esso Early 60's

Started by Chunkie, March 15, 2017, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chunkie

Hi guys, I've been looking around for the last couple of weeks for some ready to run matt black Esso Tankers, which were about in real life on the GC in the 60's. All I've seen in N Gauge so far is the more modern white ones and earlier silver ones? Does anyone know if any company manufactures them? I know they do them in OO. Well they would wouldn't they! I need at least six of them for a project?  :confused2:
To err is human, to realy foul things up requires a computer!

red_death

Hi Chunkie

Depends on which ones you are after, but we have just started tooling the 35t Class B tanks in N (which Heljan have done in 4mm). Details here: http://www.revolutiontrains.com/projects/35t-class-b-tank-wagon/

We are doing the Esso livery along with a selection of others.

Cheers, Mike

Rabbitaway

Go for the Peco kit and Robbies Rolling Stock transfers

Robbie can make up transfers if the particular ones you are after are not on his list. Also he can provide different numbers

Ben A

Hi all,

It depends how accurate you want to be.

The OP specifically said he did not want the modern monobloc type, which is that represented by the Peco kit and the similar (but much better) Graham RTR option.

If you want an accurate 1960s Esso tanker, in black which is the colour of Class B types for heavier fuel oils (Class A tanks were in silver or grey) then the forthcoming Revolution Class B tanker is then only accurate option.

It represents the type developed in the mid 1950s specifically by Esso working with wagon maker Charles Roberts to carry more fuel faster,.

But of course the Peco kit costs about £4 plus paint or decals, and needs you to assemble and paint it, while the Revolution model costs £19.50 and will be fully finished.

If you are interested we are hoping to have the first sample of the Class B soon, so you can see how it looks and make a judgement on whether you think it is worth the extra.

Cheers

Ben A.

Bealman

Hi Chunkie

I bought a weathered three pack of Graham Farish 14T weathered Esso tankers when I was in the UK three years ago, but can't remember what I paid for them, sorry!

Edit: Yes I can... the price is on the box!  :-[ 24 quid.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

red_death

Happy to be corrected but my understanding is that because Esso were one of the first to switch to larger capacity tanks in the late 50s then the 14t tanks were mostly gone by early 60s from Esso trains (in favour of the 35t tanks).

Cheers, Mike

Bob G

Quote from: red_death on March 16, 2017, 10:58:16 AM
Happy to be corrected but my understanding is that because Esso were one of the first to switch to larger capacity tanks in the late 50s then the 14t tanks were mostly gone by early 60s from Esso trains (in favour of the 35t tanks).

Cheers, Mike

Mike is absolutely right. Revolution's Class B tank is the only accurate representation. Peco had a go at imitating the Regent and Texaco class Bs with its monobloc derived centre ladder model, but I am afraid it is, like many Peco models, a work of fiction (e.g. tube wagon, pallet van) designed to fit a standard chassis, or a repaint.

I have the Heljan ESSO model and with its see through chassis is a delight to behold.

Bring on the Revolution (Type Bs)!

Bob

maridunian

Quote from: red_death on March 16, 2017, 10:58:16 AM

It seems some of the 14 tonners made it into the '80s!

Re: the Peco TTAs, it's a shame they didn't simply badge the standard tank....

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Ben A

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link to Paul Bartlett's excellent site.  The 14T tankers are interesting though according to him Esso were among the first companies to go over to vacuum braking, so very few survived and many of those were just internal user (ie within a particular depot or terminal) and no longer in mainline use.

The Peco TTA is, as has been said, specifically not the type the OP has asked for, and he wants black Class B (heavy oil) tanks, rather than grey or silver Class A tanks (light fuels.)

Cheers

Ben A.

maridunian

Quote from: Ben A on April 02, 2017, 10:41:16 AM
The Peco TTA is, as has been said, specifically not the type the OP has asked for, and he wants black Class B (heavy oil) tanks, rather than grey or silver Class A tanks (light fuels.)

Agree the 35 tonners would be the best fit for the 60s.

My point about the TTAs was that Peco should have applied the unbranded Class B livery to their end-laddered mouldings, or even Esso branded them, and been more accurate.

My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations