Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVE44 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Trev

Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Quote from: Luke Piewalker on July 23, 2013, 04:42:38 PM
For £50 with DCC onboard and a flashing light on the roof I'm not complaining...
Having to shim all of my OHLE masts so it will fit under them, that I will complain about  :smiley-laughing:
:laughabovepost: I'm going the third rail route on my layout so avoiding that mast problem, and have confirmed there's enough room to accommodate twin-stacks and autoracks where the lines disappear at each end - it does mean I'll have to invoke selective amnesia about that third rail and road markings when Solsbury Hill operates as Mercy Street though  :doh:

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

CarriageShed

Dapol is definitely right. I'm hunting the United Dairies version for a future Somerset & Dorset layout. I've managed to find two for about £11.00 each, so I seem to be doing fairly well in grabbing a slight bargain. So far! Another four would probably be enough for my needs, but it may take a while.

daveg

Trev

That looks like the 00 version Dave judgiing by the coupling.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

daveg

Apologies for last post.

These are 00 not N  :'(

Note to self: Engage brain before posting.  :dunce:

Dave G

NeMo

Unfortunately those are the 00 gauge ones...

The Dapol milk tanks aren't cheap, but I bought a used one at Kent Garden Railways for £9, and there was at least one left I didn't buy.

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: daveg on July 24, 2013, 07:39:38 AM
Re 6 wheel tankers:

Just got an email from www.modelfair.com

http://www.modelfair.com/product/166797/dapol-4f-031-003-6-wheel-milk-tanker-unigate-silver

Not the Co-op version perhaps but a decent price!

Tempting  ;)

Dave G
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Gooner1953

Quote from: Pete33 on July 23, 2013, 11:58:54 PM
Dapol is definitely right. I'm hunting the United Dairies version for a future Somerset & Dorset layout. I've managed to find two for about £11.00 each, so I seem to be doing fairly well in grabbing a slight bargain. So far! Another four would probably be enough for my needs, but it may take a while.

Pete, there's more than 10 of the United dairies version in stock at Hattons - http://www.ehattons.com/59203/Dapol_2F_031_001_6_wheel_milk_tanker_United_Dairies_/StockDetail.aspx good price too...

Nick

EtchedPixels

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

NeMo

The Dapol milk tanks are expensive, but they really look nice when weathered.

However, I bought the six pack with a Hymek, all weathered, but honestly not weathered very well. Sent the loco off to be weathered at Grimy Times, but did the milk tanks myself, along with a couple more pristine ones and a Dapol Siphon H. Photos below.

Looking at photos of the real things, filthy black seems to have been their natural livery. One thing I found interesting about these six-wheel tanks is that when filled with milk they weighed about as much as a passenger coach (28 tons!).

That means you'd have big engines pulling relatively short trains, the average train according to "Diesels on Cornwall's Mainline" being 4-15 tanks. If you imagine a 15-tank train would be 420 tons, worked at express passenger timings, that must have been hard work, hence the use of big engines like 'Westerns' and 'Warships'. There are lots of photos in this book of much shorter trains with big engines in the front, plus a very cool train that mixes milk tanks with newspaper and parcels vans. All this variety and relatively short trains has to be good news for modellers surely!

Cheers, NeMo

(Former NGS Journal Editor)

CarriageShed

Quote from: Gooner1953 on July 24, 2013, 09:16:03 AM
Pete, there's more than 10 of the United dairies version in stock at Hattons - http://www.ehattons.com/59203/Dapol_2F_031_001_6_wheel_milk_tanker_United_Dairies_/StockDetail.aspx good price too...

Nick

Thanks for that, Nick. My search is over... (or at least it will be once my budget recovers at the start of August *cough*).

:thankyousign:

Bealman

Try this:
[smg id=6148 type=preview align=center width=400]
[smg id=6149 type=preview align=center width=400]
Dunno if you can make out the sticker there in the top right hand corner.... bought at a model railway shop in Adelaide, South Australia - A$43.50, which equates to 25.97 British!!

Still, I just loves the six wheels! :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

Blimey -   :o Gold plated?

Surprised it isn't still cheaper to import from Hatton's where I ordered a few for £11 each.

Dave G

Bealman

Well of course you're right there, Dave. Any bulk purchases will be done that way. It's just this thing that I have that whenever we go on a trip anywhere, I seek out a model shop and buy a loco or wagon or something, and that's my souvenir of the place.

Although on that South Australia trip, there were many other souvenirs bought.... mainly in the form of bottles of wine from the vineyards of the Barossa and Clare valleys!!!  :laugh2:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

steam-driven boy

Hi,
Some pre-orders arrived this morning, more 'furrin critters'  :thumbsup:
[smg id=6158]
[smg id=6159]
which will add a little brightness to the existing NS roster
[smg id=1824]
until some of the garish NS Heritage SD70ACe loco's arrive, I've only pre-ordered two of those - Erie and Virginian - as I have to keep some pretence of fiscal prudency  :doh:
And also in the box, double stacks
[smg id=6157]
Pardon the somewhat dodgy woodworking, it will be smartened up when I'm able to work on it  ;)

Regards, Gerry  8)
...being a bear of very little brain...

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations