Life goes on.....

Started by Lawrence, June 30, 2018, 02:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

I hope you fine folk will indulge me briefly.

About 6 years ago my father was diagnosed with Alzheimers and, as a couple of you know, my life has centered around caring for my parents since then.
In September of last year Dad, unfortunately had to go into full time care. Being a train lover and excellent OO modeller in his time, later that year I decided to start a small N gauge layout that I could take to the care home and let him see the trains running, for a variety of reasons (mainly care reasons), the layout never got finished and Dad passed away this April.

Now, having come to terms with it all and things are running to normal - ish, life has to go on.

As the layout was to be modern British, not my field of interest so there will be some rolling stock and kits going up for sale shortly.  Also, I neither have the space to keep the layout not the desire to complete it, I am not selling it however, if someone wishes to collect it and make a small donation to Alzheimers Scotland I will be happy to oblige. It is 18" x 72", 9mm ply on 2" x 1" framing with peco track and electrofrog points, pre wired with 4 insulated sections and power feeds for both tracks through a front mounted 9 pin plug. There are 2 Metcalf platforms fitted and it has been partially ballasted.  Images below

Indulgence over, carry on

Jerry Howlett

Sorry to hear this post, but I hope someone steps forward to take on this project.
It would be nice if it went to someone with a younger child thus carrying on a model railway tradition.
Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

ScottishModeller

Hi Lawrence,

Is this the layout you spoke aboout at Perth?

I would like to take it on as a potential demo layout to take round the shows under the 'NGS in Scotland' banner.
The intention would be to finish it off at the vrious exhibitions over whatever time period it takes.
If this does go ahead then the Donations bottle for Alziemers Scotland would be on the stand for people to donate directly as well as the initial donation.

Come back to me if you need to discuss this idea further?

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Lawrence

You'd be welcome to it Phil, yours when you want it

Lawrence

I'm pleased to say that, thanks to @ScottishModeller the layout will have a life in the future.
One of the items I listed has already sold too, so this is great news as I will be able to make a donation to Alzheimers Scotland thanks to the generosity of forum members

ScottishModeller

Hi all,

Thanks to Lawrence for the offer of the layout - much appreciated.

Now - what will happen with it?

It will go with the NGS in Scotland stand to exhibitions we are invited to.

It will be worked on at these exhibitions by whoever comes along to support NGS in Scotland

Materials required to do this will be sourced as needed - donations of materials would be welcome though.

The Alziemers Scotland donation can will be with the layout wherever it goes.

In time, once tha layout is completed, it is hoped that exhibition managers will invite it to exhibitions in it's own right or accept it as part of the NGS in Scotland stand when they intite it.

Longer term than that? Don't know as I don't have a crystal ball!

So - thanks again, Lawrence.

Phil H aka Scottish Modeller
Thanks
Phil Holman

ScottishModeller

As per previous...

A reminder for what's happening with NGS in Scotland over the next couple of months.

We start with a quick warm up - just to make sure everything still works!

Kilmarnock & District MRC Exhibition
Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd February 2019

The Linthouse Building,
Scottish Maritime Museum,
Harbour Road,
Irvine.
Ayrshire
KA12 8QE

http://www.kilmarnockmrc.com/irvineexhibition.html

Then it's both feet in (again)

Modelrail Scotland 2019
Friday 22nd, Saturday 23rd, Sunday 24th Fabruary

SEC Glasgow
G3 8YW

https://www.modelrail-scotland.co.uk/exhibition.html

I'm committed to most of the show on the NGS Stand as resident demonstrator!

If you are at the shows - do come and say hello.......

Hope to see you soon!

Thanks
Phil Holman
Thanks
Phil Holman

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77%