Insurance for Layouts attending exhibitions

Started by ColinH, October 02, 2016, 10:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinH

Quote from: newportnobby on October 04, 2016, 09:53:21 AM
Quote from: ColinH on October 03, 2016, 09:15:21 PM

Trying to guess at the number of paying folks through the doors so as to be able to set the admission charge is the stuff of sleepless nights beforehand, and fleeing the country afterwards if you get it wrong. Please don't lynch the poor Exhibition Manager if punters fail to attend in the numbers anticipated. It's easy to establish what your costs will be but no easy task to ensure they are covered by revenue.

Mick I am well aware of the problems of guesstimating attendance at events, I am also Treasurer of a Cemetery Friends group who hold an Open Day in the Cemetery every year in July and it usually rains or turns dull- now try to estimate how much your going to make at one of those  :worried:. At least the Exhibition is indoors.

Think we should be having a really good show, access is relatively easy, well as easy as it can be in Norfolk, without necessarily going through the town center and its one way system, there is plenty of parking space, although on grassland, and yes did think of inviting the Mayor to present Best in Show or a Mayors Award. We will also be doing our own refreshments for punters so should make some money that way. Guess first time is always the most nerve racking as you don't know what to expect. Just as long as we do not bankrupt the club I will be happy. Make £500- £750 I'll be happy, make over a thousand I'll be ecstatic.

Promise not to hang the Exhibition Manager, we will need his subs to keep the Club going. ;)
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

ColinH

Quote from: Buzzard on October 04, 2016, 08:42:16 AM
Whatever insurance figure you are given by the exhibition manager could I suggest that you add another 10% for good measure?  This is what I did when I organised a Forum Meet a while back.

The policy might not cost any extra but at least you'll be covered in case an exhibitor, at the last minute, decided to bring along their newly acquired and very expensive loco.

Better safe than out of pocket.

A good point I will bear in mind when the insurance is arranged. Will also reread the topic you linked to. You guys who organise the Meets have my admiration. Only managed to attend the one organised by Tank so far but thoroughly enjoyed it.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Newportnobby

Quote from: ColinH on October 04, 2016, 04:01:48 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on October 04, 2016, 09:53:21 AM

Trying to guess at the number of paying folks through the doors so as to be able to set the admission charge is the stuff of sleepless nights beforehand, and fleeing the country afterwards if you get it wrong. Please don't lynch the poor Exhibition Manager if punters fail to attend in the numbers anticipated. It's easy to establish what your costs will be but no easy task to ensure they are covered by revenue.

Mick I am well aware of the problems of guesstimating attendance at events, I am also Treasurer of a Cemetery Friends group who hold an Open Day in the Cemetery every year in July and it usually rains or turns dull- now try to estimate how much your going to make at one of those  :worried:. At least the Exhibition is indoors.

Think we should be having a really good show, access is relatively easy, well as easy as it can be in Norfolk, without necessarily going through the town center and its one way system, there is plenty of parking space, although on grassland, and yes did think of inviting the Mayor to present Best in Show or a Mayors Award. We will also be doing our own refreshments for punters so should make some money that way. Guess first time is always the most nerve racking as you don't know what to expect. Just as long as we do not bankrupt the club I will be happy. Make £500- £750 I'll be happy, make over a thousand I'll be ecstatic.

Promise not to hang the Exhibition Manager, we will need his subs to keep the Club going. ;)

Perhaps ask the Mayor along to open your inaugural Exhibition as that generally attracts the local papparazzi as well. Who knows - the Mayor might be an enthusiast!

painbrook

Gets more informative with each post. Colin have you thought of resigning your commission?. john.

ColinH

Quote from: painbrook on October 04, 2016, 07:11:12 PM
Gets more informative with each post. Colin have you thought of resigning your commission?. john.

No I love a challenge  :bounce:

painbrook

Power to your elbow, hope you have a great show. john.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations