BBC iplayer problems on Samsung tv

Started by austinbob, September 28, 2016, 08:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Anyone having problems getting progammes to play on BBC iplayer with Samsung or other TV.
Maybe something to do with question asked if you have TV license. Get this message on PC but not TV

It would be really nice if you had the choice of opting out of BBC programmes and not paying the TV license??
:hmmm:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on September 28, 2016, 08:41:51 PM
I could be wrong but sure i read something about smart tvs not working with new version of you tube and iplayer
If true - another reason for not paying the license fee. Just not good enough BBC
>:(
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on September 28, 2016, 08:52:02 PM
Something to do with the processor in the older generation smart tv not able to work the new encryption bit cannot for the life of me remember where I read it
Problem only started today when I wanted to watch the BBC1 railway program originally screened at 07:30 pm.
Worked fine yesterday on latest episode of Poldark??
Might try later to see if it was just a glitch, but PC works fine.
:beers:

Bob Austin

zwilnik

Quote from: Only Me on September 28, 2016, 08:52:02 PM
Something to do with the processor in the older generation smart tv not able to work the new encryption bit cannot for the life of me remember where I read it

It's one reason why I prefer to buy a non-smart TV and use a set top box (AppleTV by preference). One issue with Smart TVs is that if they can't be updated to the current version of the OS they use then you can lose services that require it.

For once this isn't an issue with the BBC etc. not updating their software, it's simply a case of the smart TV manufacturers not supporting suitable OS updates.

It's relatively easy to fix though. At least a Smart TV that stops being smart is still a TV, so you can always hook up a replacement set top box with an up to date OS to do the smarts and use the TV just as a TV.

austinbob

Seems to be working ok again now (BBC iplayer that is) and asked the question if I had a TV license.
However when I try and check for updates for Samsung software it says the network isn't connected although it obviously is - sometimes I hate technology!!  :hmmm:

Bob Austin

Zogbert Splod

BBC iPlayer radio has gone phut as well. They brought a new version yesterday and since then I have had to uninstall/reinstall every time I want to use it on my tablet. I don't have a TV but I listen to a lot of radio - this is a pain in the bum! I tried a simple clear cache/clear data - nope, needs a complete reinstall every time. Grrrrrrrrrrr..............
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on September 28, 2016, 09:25:12 PM
Aha!! Now its clear.. Create an iplayer account Bob and login with it on your tv, select the box to stay logged in. Then it wont keep asking you if you have a tv licence as it checks the address!
TV seems to have sorted itself out now - I think it may have been updating while I was trying to use Iplayer.
:beers:

Bob Austin

Ian Bowden

There was an article posted on BBC bsite last week end about some early (circa 2011) smart TV's that don't have a large enough memory to use the new version of U tube so will no longer work with them. I think they were Sony Bravira sets that were affected.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations