Dapol Voyager and Super Voyager differences

Started by davecttr, October 28, 2017, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecttr

Apart from the bogies are there any body/chassis differences between the Dapol Class 220 and 221?

I have a Class 221 end car with a very broken light installation and a Class 220 end car with functioning lights.

Comparing the two I can't see any obvious differences between them so would it be feasible to move the Class 221 bogies to the class 220 to get what is in effect a class 221 with working lights. Or would it be better to move the lighting innards?

Is it possible to fit a lighting cluster from scratch if such things are available.

robert shrives

Hi bogies should change over - but never tried it.

The lighting rig is very basic as it was hidden completely so making up with another LED should be easy - the light giudes and LED head aligned by cable heat shrinking.

Pretty certain DCC supplies had a few - I guess taken from dismantled models over virgin spare.

Robert   

davecttr

Thanks I will check out DCC supplies. This morning I swapped the innards and body shell from the class 220 into the 221 chassis so now I have a 221 driving car with working lights. The only problem is the tiny serial number on the body side is the wrong one for that set. Personally I don't care as you need a magnifying glass to read it!.

Now for the power car, what a dog. I cleaned everything I could including the test oval but I get a foot or two of running and it stalls, finger pressure starts it again but it stops again after a few feet. I can't see this powering a 4 car unit never mind a 5 car. It has been in store for a few years which does not help I suppose.

Should I be adding more weight?

Vonzack

Hi davecttr,

Is the power car from a 221 set or a 220. The different bogie design on a 221 usually means the power car has more than enough grunt to move a 5 car set, you shouldn't need to add any additional weight. A 220 has a slightly smaller weight in one end of the power car than the 221, but essentially is exactly the same as a 221 apart from the bogies.

Definitely sounds like some kind of pickup issue with the power car, might be worth checking that both bogies are picking up correctly.

Hope you get it sorted, Mark.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations