Cars are getting bigger

Started by TrevL, April 24, 2018, 07:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themadhippy

QuoteYou don't by any chance have a son called "Cooper S" ?
No,but my  daughters called GL sport
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Skyline2uk

That explains a lot about my old mate Odean...

Skyline2uk

stevewalker

Quote from: LongHairedDavid on April 25, 2018, 12:33:32 PM
I have a Skoda Yeti for the same reason. Arthritis means that I cannot get into an "ordinary" car any more but placing my bottom on the seat and swivelling in works for me. I got one of the last Yetis because the deal included all the extras but next time it will be a Karoq. Mind you, I am concerned about getting my wheelchair hoist in the back of that - time will tell.

I used to drive a Mk2 Focus and did a lot of business miles. I too have arthritis (both knees) and my main problem was pain when trying to hold the angle for a constant motorway speed - I often ended up using my left foot for the accelerator to give my right a rest. I have now solved that by buying a Zafira and having cruise control. Oddly though, I discovered that when driving my kitcar, where I am sat very low and with my legs out almost straight in front of me, I had no problem at all!

Chetcombe

On this side of the pond average vehicle size is ludicrously big as most of you are aware. Thankfully our parking spaces are proportionately much larger than yours to cope with some of the behemoths that 'grace' our roads; after all this is the country where Audi Q7s and Range Rovers are dwarfed by the likes of the Chevvy Suburban, Ford Expedition and pretty much any pick-up truck.

But even here the trend toward larger vehicles continues. Today Ford announced that it will pretty much stop making cars for the US market in the future and focus on SUVs and trucks. Crazy...

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ford-stop-making-all-passenger-cars-except-mustang-n869256
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Wasn't there a time there for a little while though, when people switched from huge Oldsmobiles and the like and bought little Japanese cars?

Or did I dream that
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

They were probably destined to be towed by a monster motorhome, George :D
First time I ever saw that was in Tennessee and I thought "That car's really tailgating the motorhome :worried:" then as we drew nearer I thought "Cripes! There's no one in it! :o"
Now it's relatively common in the UK too

mr bachmann

Nice cars out there - but I'll stick to my Mk D Bond ......

http://www.bondownersclub.co.uk/img/top.jpg

joe cassidy

Who nicked all the front wheels ?

ntpntpntp

I had 2 Mondeo estates back in the 90s and 00s and they were great for my layouts and drum kits, but when time came to replace back in 2011 I sat in a new Mondeo and just didn't like the cockpit. 

Then I saw an video advert for a Kia Sorento SUV which basically said "goes where a Mondeo can't!".  I have to say I love the Sorento, I can get all the same stuff in it that went in the Mondeos beforehand, it has a nice high driving position and some decent "go" under the bonnet. I'll definitely consider another one in due course (absolutely nothing wrong with it at the moment) as long as they don't change to a stupid electric parking brake button like my missus' Jeep Renegade has - I want a proper handle that I can control the grip and release myself thanks all the same!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations