Ireland West (Knock) Airport

Started by Adrian, August 01, 2016, 05:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian

I passed though the airport at Knock over the weekend, returning to the UK

When we arrived in the terminal I learned that before proceeding to security check etc it was necessary to pay an airport "Development Fee"

This amounted to 10 euros for each member of the party (above the age of 12yrs) and is not optional!!!

Notices around the place said that this type of charge was levied at other airports but was generally hidden in the overall ticket price.

I was taken completely unawares by the charge - hadn't met it before at an airport.

Thought other NGF members, contemplating a visit to the west of Ireland, might benefit from the "heads up" and keep some euro cash ready (avoid another currency fee on your card?)

Adrian

Agrippa

Hmmmmm, sounds like a racket, when you pay for a flight, or a ferry or a train
the operator's cost for using an airport , seaport or station should be  included in the fare,
with CalMac they sometimes add a footnote in their timetables that the fare includes
a harbour charge of  so much per passenger or vehicle.

i can imagine Jim Royle's response to such a demand.............
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Agrippa

Further to above I took a look at their website and they say this fee is charged
in a transparent manner and that airlines, travel agents etc should make passengers
aware of it when flight is booked. Still sounds fishy , I've never paid an extra fee
at an airport, as its no pay no fly  passengers just have to cough up.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

port perran

Same applies at our local airport-Newquay.
Generally regarded as a rip off.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Kris

Quote from: port perran on August 01, 2016, 07:40:59 AM
Same applies at our local airport-Newquay.
Generally regarded as a rip off.

This stopped at Easter.

I have been charge fees for entering counties in the past.

edwin_m

When I went to Turkey a few years ago I had to pay £10 cash for a "visa" before being allowed through passport control.  This was, I believe, applied only to countries that required visas for Turkish citizens - I was travelling with two colleagues of other nationalities who were exempt. 

snail

Edwin_m is correct, I had to pay for a visa upon entry into turkey too.

Bangkok was the same too, afaik it was either 500 or 1,000 baht (either £10 or £20 respectively)

I think Bangkok scrapped it, but slyly included it in the price of the plane ticket.

Adrian

Quote from: Bealman on August 01, 2016, 07:43:43 AM
Newquay has an airport?   ;)

I think that might be RAF St. Mawgan to us, George! Or it was when Shackleton's of Coastal Command were still using it in the 60s!

Did you ever hear, much more recently, of the Ryanair civil flight landing a bit short of Derry airport ie RAF Ballykelly (as was) ........ OK, similar line of approach but even so ........

Adrian

fisherman

Norwich  airport  used  to have a  similar  charge.
<o({{{<<

dannyboy

As far as I am aware, this charge still applies - it is still mentioned on the Knock Airport website.  As is states on the website, airlines should mention this charge. All airports charge passengers, in one way or another, for using the airport, Knock just make it a separate charge. I appreciate that it may come as a bit of surprise if you are not aware of the charge, but as stated, it should be mentioned on an airlines website, (probably buried in the small print). Having used Knock on a number of occasions, I do not object to paying, but, I am aware of the charge. The charge is only imposed when using the airport for departures, it is not paid when landing. Do not let the charge put you off visiting Ireland.  :)

Addit: This links explains the charge - http://www.irelandwestairport.com/airportguide/airportdevelopmentfee.aspx
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

dannyboy

Just as an aside to my earlier post, Knock Airport is the nicest airport I have ever used. When I last used it, (May?), there were two security 'gates' and one of them was closed! No queues, no hassle, decent cafe/restaurant and there are a few shops. I realise it is a regional airport, but compared to Dublin, (which I sometimes have to use), Knock wins hands down.  :thumbsup:
David.

stevewalker

Quote from: dannyboy on August 01, 2016, 05:30:50 PMDo not let the charge put you off visiting Ireland.  :)

It won't, but there again, we're coming by ferry and car anyway  :smiley-laughing:

Only three more weeks at work first.

dannyboy

@stevewalker Three weeks isn't long - enjoy your holiday. If you are coming 'up norf', (sorry, a bit of Yorkshire sneaking in :)), I can suggest some interesting/nice places to visit.  :beers:
David.

stevewalker

Yes 'up norf' - about 3 miles north of Ballyshannon. My wife's family is spread around the area and wider, but originally from Rossinver. We know many places, as we are regular visitors, but suggestions are welcome thanks.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations