New Forum Section

Started by Zogbert Splod, March 01, 2016, 01:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

Personally, I think 'DC' and 'DCC' should be kept as they are, with a seperate section for 'other' electronics. If I am looking for something 'DC' related, I would start looking under 'DC', although I appreciate that there is a fine line to be drawn somewhere, as 'DC' wiring is by necessity, 'electronic'.  ???. I do not envy Tank, or whoever, sorting this one out.  :doh:. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

jrb

Quote from: dannyboy on March 02, 2016, 08:30:46 PM
'DC' wiring is by necessity, 'electronic'.  ???

Technically it's not. DC wiring is by necessity 'electrical', but NOT necessarily 'electronic'.

Generally, something only becomes 'electronic' when it contains silicon components to switch currents, such as transistors/microchips etc. DC wiring can be done without any of that.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I thought it worth making the distinction.  :sorrysign:

dannyboy

Quote from: jrb on March 02, 2016, 09:36:54 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on March 02, 2016, 08:30:46 PM
'DC' wiring is by necessity, 'electronic'.  ???

I know I'm being pedantic, but I thought it worth making the distinction.  :sorrysign:

I only used the word 'electronic' as that is the subject of the 'new'(?) section - I could have used 'electrickery' but I know what you are saying, (cos I can be pedantic at times  :)). David.
David.

themadhippy

Quotesomething only becomes 'electronic' when it contains silicon
If were being pedantic what about germanium isnt that electronics,or thermionic valves  although i suppose there closer to black magic
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Malc

You can do black magic with a couple of beam tetrodes and a pentode or two. :D
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Quote from: themadhippy on March 02, 2016, 09:56:41 PM
If were being pedantic what about germanium isnt that electronics,or thermionic valves  although i suppose there closer to black magic

And further on the pedantic front - there should be spelt 'they're' ;)

jrb

Touche...

Go on then, I'll give you that.  :P

dannyboy

Quote from: jrb on March 02, 2016, 10:21:49 PM

And being even more pedantic 'were' should be 'we are' or we're  :P  :). David.
David.

themadhippy

I trained as an engineer,not an author :P
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

dannyboy

Quote from: themadhippy on March 02, 2016, 10:58:40 PM

:smiley-laughing: It's a good job we can all take the comments in the spirit in which they are intended.  :beers: David.
David.

weave

I

DELETED

When the "electrinics" section first appearead I wasn't the only person who voiced up it wasn't in a logical place.  Just glad it's finally been moved into it's own proper section now and should get the correct exposure.  Aas for finding stuff, there is and always has been the forum search, or if you're not logged in apend ".ngaugeforum" in google or just a straight search in google.

I think Pengi echos my thoughts also -too many subforums -7 for each day of the week, another two depending whether it was am/pm and another split depending there is a "r" in the month + another for each and every supplier out there.  For me it's as easy as if it's not DCC then it's DC -but otherwise moving the "electronics" thread up is absolutely the right thing to do :thumbsup:

Zogbert Splod

Since I was the originator of this thread, I would like to say a big thank you to all who have contributed to it. The result is that there is now a more obvious place where we, those of us who wish to, can post and/or look/search for what we are interested in.
I have already sent a PM of thanks to Tank but have just now thought that it may be nice, on behalf of all interested parties, to do so publicly. So, thanks to Tank, and also to the mods, who now have an extra beat to police.....
It has long been my feeling that this is the best 'n'gauge resource on the Web, and now, even more so...

Regards, Allan.....  :NGF:
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

Malc

Quote from: themadhippy on March 02, 2016, 10:58:40 PM
As we used to say...last week I couldn't spell engineer, now I is one!   :bounce:
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

railsquid

Why do engines need ears anyway?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations