New Forum Section

Started by Zogbert Splod, March 01, 2016, 01:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zogbert Splod

Looking across the forum in recent weeks/months I am observing a trend towards the use of servo control of points and possibly signals, crossing gates/barriers.  There is also a rising interest in using Arduino and other controllers in conjunction with the servo's.
While I am aware that setting up new section in a forum is not always the easiest of tasks, it may well be in everyone's best interest to find a way to pull all of the threads on this subject in to a single place as opposed to how things are right now.  As this is a rising interest, there is not an established way to make sure that such posts are seen or responded to.  Might now be a good time to stop these posts spreading across the forum any further with the possible consequent loss and dilution of valuable information?

I don't presume to suggest how this could be structured, or where in the forum it would fit best, but I do think that it would be a valuable addition to the amazing resource that is the NGF.

I am aware that this is, and will remain, a niche interest, but I believe it will grow.
What do other members think of this?
:NGF:
Regards, Allan.....

ps: Arduino's are easier to understand than DCC (even if they do need more than 2 wires!  ;) )
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

zwilnik

I think it's a great idea!  :claphappy:

sp1

MikeDunn

Given that there are barely 3 pages of items in the existing Electronics forum, what benefit does this give ?  People are unable to look through 2 pages + 1 post on the 3rd page ???  It's hardly like trawling through a 20+ page area full of totally unrelated posts ... I think it's only 14 threads per page ?

Things Arduino / PIC / whatever, as long as they are in Electronics, aren't
Quotespreading across the forum any further with the possible consequent loss and dilution of valuable information
- they are already
Quotein to a single place
and if mis-located the Mods can easily route them into Electronics ...

ScottyStitch

It gets my vote. I know nothing of Arduino (nor Raspeberry Pi) and would welcome a from the ground up tutorial or explanation of sorts.

I understand it can be used to operate a stepper motor (nice article in the NGS Journal), but beyond that, what can it do. Why should I want one or two or three. How many do I need.  :confused1:

Sell it to me. But, as you suggest, sell it to me in one dedicated place of the forum. :thumbsup:

zwilnik

Quote from: MikeDunn on March 01, 2016, 02:57:02 PM
Given that there are barely 3 pages of items in the existing Electronics forum, what benefit does this give ?  People are unable to look through 2 pages + 1 post on the 3rd page ???  It's hardly like trawling through a 20+ page area full of totally unrelated posts ... I think it's only 14 threads per page ?

Quotespreading across the forum any further with the possible consequent loss and dilution of valuable information
- they are already

well, for instance, my Arduino thread is in the DC Wiring section of Your Layouts and models. Mostly because I didn't know there was an electronics section and also because it's less about electronics and more about using an Arduino, servos, stepper motors etc. on my layout. (actually *where is* the electronics forum?)

As I've found, you don't need to know a lot about electronics to use this sort of kit and I wouldn't put Arduino or Raspberry Pi programming in electronics either. It's not specifically DC or DCC either and it's a growing area where there's quite a few of us either experimenting with it or have some knowledge of its various uses to share.

Griffo

Quote from: Zwilnik on March 01, 2016, 03:37:20 PM
(actually *where is* the electronics forum?)

:thumbsup: What he said! Where?

ColinH

The Electronics board is a sub board of Scenery/Landscaping
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

ScottyStitch

Quote from: ColinH on March 01, 2016, 04:22:25 PM
The Electronics board is a sub board of Scenery/Landscaping

Ah! Of course................ It's obvious now!  :confused1:

Zogbert Splod

Quote from: MikeDunn on March 01, 2016, 02:57:02 PM

- they are already
I'm not sure if this quoted post is a no vote on a new forum section or a put down of the mods!
Let me comment on the reference to the mods first - moving the posts to the Electronics section would not seem the right thing to do - it's headed with 'Electronics for lights etc. Not for DC and DCC related questions (please use the dedicated boards for that).
With that said, let me expand on my case for a separate forum section...
My post is to try to make a case for adding a dedicated board to those for DC and DCC.
Well then, I just did a search of the forum using the single word Arduino.  I got multiple pages of results to a total of over 90 items. I have no intention of analysing that in any sort of depth but here are a few things from the first 20-ish on the first page...

Headings/Posts
General discussion     4
Electronics                 3
DC wiring                   4
N Gauge discussion   3
DCC                           3
Layout Planning          1
Layout Construction   2
N gauge tutorials        1
Sound                         1

While you mention 'Arduino/PIC/what ever', I have restricted my quick search to Arduino and that alone brought up the results mentioned and tabulated above.  So, you see, they are NOT in the 'Electronics area'.

What benefit does it give you ask... Well, perhaps none for you, but I do feel that for those who are interested in the subject, quite a bit! I, for example am not interested in either DCC or Sound and don't look in those sections. It seems then, that using your model of forum use, I should perhaps search the forum each day with Arduino as a search term, just in case I miss something!
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

ScottyStitch

What he said ^^^

(Beat me to it. I did teh same search with -obviously- identical results.)

scotsoft

I feel a new thread is a good idea, plus having all things arduino and Raspberry Pi in the one place may well encourage posts with hints and tips.

Tank is the only one who has the authority to set up a new topic, so I will have a word and see what can be done  :thumbsup:

Cheers John.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Zogbert Splod on March 01, 2016, 04:28:35 PM
I'm not sure if this quoted post is a no vote on a new forum section or a put down of the mods!
More a "why ?" than a no, or a Mod-slap  ;)

it's headed with 'Electronics for lights etc. Not for DC and DCC related questions (please use the dedicated boards for that).
And stuff like wiring for points doesn't fit under the "etc" because ... ?

QuoteIt seems then, that using your model of forum use, I should perhaps search the forum each day with Arduino as a search term, just in case I miss something!
What model of forum use ?  Where did I prescribe one ?

What I said was "as long as they are in Electronics" - now, there may be a reason why they are located elsewhere - but I note Bealman's Arduino thread is located in - surprise ! - the Electronics area.  There is an argument to be made about putting things in the right place - having another location won't magically improve things ... it just means another place to have to look ...

scotsoft

Quote from: MikeDunn on March 01, 2016, 04:58:27 PM
Quote from: Zogbert Splod on March 01, 2016, 04:28:35 PM
More a "why ?" than a no, or a Mod-slap  ;)

it's headed with 'Electronics for lights etc. Not for DC and DCC related questions (please use the dedicated boards for that).
And stuff like wiring for points doesn't fit under the "etc" because ... ?

QuoteIt seems then, that using your model of forum use, I should perhaps search the forum each day with Arduino as a search term, just in case I miss something!
What model of forum use ?  Where did I prescribe one ?

What I said was "as long as they are in Electronics" - now, there may be a reason why they are located elsewhere - but I note Bealman's Arduino thread is located in - surprise ! - the Electronics area.  There is an argument to be made about putting things in the right place - having another location won't magically improve things ... it just means another place to have to look ...

Does all this negativity come naturally, or do you have to practice?

Why can't you see the positive side of things, even when that positivity may be limited.

John.

MikeDunn

Were I being negative, I would have said something like "there is no point in doing this at all".  Instead, I asked what the benefit would be, and pointed out we already have an Electronics section.  How is that negative ?

Strangely enough, I was under the impression that in this country we have something known as "free speech", and that debate is welcome.  Evidently not by you.

Now, do you actually have anything to contribute to this thread, or would you prefer to attack me further ?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations