Feedback about the forum

Started by guest2, December 01, 2012, 12:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Problems here too, forum went very slow then offline completely with 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'  :worried:

Paul

Leo1961

The clue is that there were no new posts between 19:52 and 21:56   :worried:

So does Tank get two hours refund for the server being unavailable?

daveg

Quote from: Sprintex on July 23, 2013, 10:15:24 PM
Problems here too, forum went very slow then offline completely with 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'  :worried:

Paul

Same for me last evening; time  about 20:45 - 21:30 ish.

Better this morning but still a little slow to load.

Dave G

RichardBattersby

Same here! Thought it was just me to start with.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

daveg

A momentary 'can't display page' came up as I was posting a reply a few moments ago.

Tried a Preview and then Post, which then went through OK .

Dave G

Cimmerian

Glad it wasn't just me last night. Didn't stop it being it a pain, though. Glad it's back up today (work gets kind of dull otherwise. ;))
Regards, Ken

Tank

I shall find out what happened.  Thanks for the messages. :thumbsup:

Papyrus

Hello!

It may be a bit presumptuous of me suggesting an improvement when I've only been a member 5 minutes, but fresh pair of eyes and all that...

There are excellent topics for loco reviews, coach reviews, building reviews etc, but I'm surprised there isn't one for kit reviews. I'm considering buying the Langley Drewry shunter kit from the NGS and I was trying to find out what chassis was recommended, but I haven't found any info so far. There are references to kits in the On My Workbench topic, but nothing gives any info on chassis required, or how difficult a kit is to build, possible modifications, or how accurate it is, which could perhaps be usefully gathered together in one place. It would also be useful if someone could review the different tender drives available and which kits they will fit.

This is the only hole that needs plugging as far as I can see. This is a great forum - well managed, with excellent contributions. Long may you continue!

Kind regards,

Chris

Newportnobby

Hi Chris, and thanks for the positive comments about the forum :thumbsup:
I have asked the Admin team what they think about a board or sub board and will get back to you with our thoughts.
Cheers
NPN :wave:

Bealman

Hi, Chris, and another thank you from me for your great comments.

I can help you out with that Langley Drewry shunter... when I saw the above post, it reminded me that I purchased the  exact same kit 20 years ago, and had totally forgotten about it! Anyway I dug it out of the deep recesses under my layout, and yep, there it is, a bag of bits still in the box!

Anyway, it says on the box:

"Adapted to fit the Minitrix 0-6-0 2043 chassis"

Hope this is of assistance!

George  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Further to that, I just opened it up and it consists of white metal parts and an etched brass fret of body sides, coupling rods, etc.

The instructions are very detailed (5 printed pages), but it does state that it is not an ideal kit for complete beginners. Soldering is the preferred method of construction, although it states that epoxy can be used instead.

The chassis requires extensive modifications - the motor has to be removed and the chassis has to cop a lot of cutting about.

It certainly does not appear to be for the faint-hearted - which is probably why I've left it sitting in the box for 20 years!  :laugh3:

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

KTM

Well to throw in my five pennyworth - as a newbie I come to NGF with no history or pre-conceptions. There are some really lousy railway forums online - either badly organised or dominated by a toffee-nosed clique. NGF seems really different with a great ethos and people being decent towards each other. The basics of NGF really work for me and I feel at home here already. My feedback would be don't change too much. It's brilliant just as it is. OK all forums can benefit from good new ideas and a freshen up ...the photo comp for example with affordable prizes from the merchandise range.

Well done to all the people who drove NGF forward and created a lovely little niche online for us 2mm addicts.

Thank you all.

:NGaugeForum: :wave: :claphappy: :thumbsup: :beers: :NGaugeForum:
GWR branch-line Steam rules

dodger112958

:NGaugersRule:

Quote from: KTM on November 04, 2013, 04:45:07 PM
Well to throw in my five pennyworth - as a newbie I come to NGF with no history or pre-conceptions. There are some really lousy railway forums online - either badly organised or dominated by a toffee-nosed clique. NGF seems really different with a great ethos and people being decent towards each other. The basics of NGF really work for me and I feel at home here already. My feedback would be don't change too much. It's brilliant just as it is. OK all forums can benefit from good new ideas and a freshen up ...the photo comp for example with affordable prizes from the merchandise range.

Well done to all the people who drove NGF forward and created a lovely little niche online for us 2mm addicts.

Thank you all.

:NGaugeForum: :wave: :claphappy: :thumbsup: :beers: :NGaugeForum:

Have to agree. I have nosed around in other forums and they do seem to be dominated by a few people. I looked at this forum for a number of weeks and liked what I saw, more importantly everyone is helpful and friendly. It was the pages of this forum that convinced me to buy my first ever set and join this forum. I don't regret either.
Ian
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Tank

Thank you for the very kind words.  It's still fantastic to read that members value the forum and that the hard work from all of us has paid off.   :thumbsup: :thankyousign:

NeMo

By gosh yes! This is a really nice forum. It's non-judgemental almost always, and most people seem to go out of their way to say nice things. Playing with toy trains is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me -- I think my wife could find me several more productive ways to busy myself around the house -- but reading this forum and sharing experiences really helps me feel more positive about my hobby. For that, I thank you all.

Cheers, NeMo

Quote from: Tank on November 04, 2013, 05:46:09 PM
Thank you for the very kind words.  It's still fantastic to read that members value the forum and that the hard work from all of us has paid off.   :thumbsup: :thankyousign:
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations