losing posts

Started by guest311, October 19, 2018, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

anyone else find they have tons of posts to read, read one then return to unread posts and find most have disappeared ?

njee20

Nope, not noticed that. Are you perhaps using "unread posts since last visit", which will be a much shorter list?

squit13

I right click and open new tab on each topic of interest. Means I dont miss anything in theory!

Newportnobby

Sorry - not heard of that problem and I'm on here too much every day

guest311

Quote from: njee20 on October 20, 2018, 07:40:36 AM
Nope, not noticed that. Are you perhaps using "unread posts since last visit", which will be a much shorter list?

that's right.
yesterday I clicked on 'unread since last visit' and got about 20 posts, opened one to read, then went 'back' to return to the list, but there were only 2 posts on the list.

I'll try the right click and open in a new tab and see if that makes any difference.

many thanks

njee20

Because your 'last visit' is refreshed, so you get posts since you opened the previous thread. Just use "all unread posts" to get a list of all posts in chronological order.

railsquid

An issue similar to what issue @class37025 is having, is that this forum software doesn't seem to have any way of listing recently updated threads, regardless of whether you've read them or not.

Which is annoying if you say read a thread on your phone, then want to come back to it later on the PC to write an answer, as it will have disappeared from the "unread posts" (actually: "threads with unread posts") list.

There is a list of recent posts here: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=recent but it's literally the contents of all recent posts.

port perran

That's a good point raised by railsquid if I understand it correctly.
I sometimes read a post and think that I'll reply later.
When I go back, I can't remember what the thread was called or who posted so it's hard to track down.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

railsquid

Quote from: port perran on October 20, 2018, 11:40:14 AM
That's a good point raised by railsquid if I understand it correctly.
I sometimes read a post and think that I'll reply later.
When I go back, I can't remember what the thread was called or who posted so it's hard to track down.

Exactly.

Actually come to think of it, the individual subforums do display threads in the order they've been updated in, it'd be useful to have that view for the entire site. Dunno if the forum software actually provides that though.

Tank

If you have trouble remembering (as I do!) then just mark is as 'Mark Unread', or 'Add Bookmark'.  Then delete the bookmark when you've finished. :thumbsup:

I only ever push the 'Show All Unread Posts' button at the top.

njee20

Yes I do as Railsquid quite often - open something on my phone, think "I'll reply to that on my computer" then spend longer finding it than if I'd just replied on my phone :doh:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations