!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A new layout in the making  (Read 7840 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
A new layout in the making
« on: May 13, 2014, 03:35:09 pm »
I’m taking a break from my main layout (Kimbolted) in order to put together a smaller portable layout which, hopefully, I can get to a standard suitable for another NGF meet up. :hmmm:
The idea is to learn/hone any skills and to try out various different methods of ballasting, point operation, building construction etc such that I can transfer the knowledge to the large layout when I am happy with the end results. Having some spare wood/sundeala/code 55 track & points, the intention is to create 3 baseboards each 3ft x 1½ft that I can fit in the back of my Ford Siesta.

Board 1
A simple ladder fiddle yard, so no image worth showing

Board 2
A scenic board with a single track winding over an embankment with road bridges both over and under - the road leading to the station on the 3rd board. I have not really got to grips with SCARM properly so this is all I have at present :-[…….

Board 3
The main board with station, goods shed/yard to the right and loco shed to the left……………..

Although drawn out in set track, all trackwork will be code 55 streamline

I am keeping the track plan as simple as possible as the intention is to practice kit building and scenery construction methods in the main. Unfortunately I can’t seem to open the ‘Objects’ file in SCARM to add buildings/platform. :doh:

The layout, due to the rolling stock I have, is set in a fictitious location on the borders of the LMR and ER in the transition era (but mainly small diesels and DMU’s so is tentatively named ‘Bletchford’. It will be analogue operated and I intend to try out Cobalt motors for the points.

Currently I have MR and ER green DMU’s (101 and 108 2-3 car), Sulzer/Brush/BRCW Type 2 locos but could have the odd visit of EE Type 1/EE Type 3/Brush Type 4.

Progress so far
I have constructed the fiddle yard and main station boards from timber covered with 9mm sundeala. More timber will be purchased for the scenic board which will be of open construction, and bullet dowels and spring latches have been ordered from Station Road Baseboards for accurate (?) alignment. Hopefully I will also have enough spare 1.5mm rubber underlay from Kimbolted to use on Bletchford.

As things become constructed I will post updates in that section along with full details of successes/failures.

Thank you for reading this.
 :NGaugersRule:

Online ColinH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
Re: A new layout in the making
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »
Looking forward to hearing all about your progress with this one Nobby.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline MinZaPint

• N Gauge Society Number: 19352
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »
Great idea, nice plan but where's the Steamies?  :A1Tornado: in case you've forgotten what they look like  ;D
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 05:55:13 pm »
A nice simple layout - lots of scenic possibilities. :)  Keep us posted, and as ever...  :photospleasesign:
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline Geoff

• N Gauge Society Number: 21731
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:49:41 pm »
Well Mick that is an ideal thing to do while you are slowly recuperating, looking forward to your progress.
Geoff

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:36 pm »
Great idea. Keep us posted as to progress.
I'm considering something similar as an extension to Port Perran that can be run as a separate layout if need be. I like the idea of the track winding over an embankment with both over and under bridges. It's very much what I want to do with the extension so will be very interested to see how you get on.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:13:40 pm »
I walk a similar path so I wish you well with your endeavor Mick.

You've also got me thinking about trying Colbart motors again.  :hmmm:  I did ponder them a few years ago but with over 20 points at the time I thought otherwise but with a small layout in the planing I might revisit the idea again.  :hmmm:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 09:43:29 am »
I seem to have spent ages looking for a trestle/pasting table on t'interweb that I can use for (a) working at a reasonable height on the layout (I suffer from a weak back) and (b) one that will fit into my Ford Siesta for possible exhibition use.
When attached together the total board length is just under 9ft and the longest I've found is a Rodo Pro Dec Multi Purpose Paste Table which is still only 6ft 6in long.
Believe me, I am no carpenter so don't want to make legs for the boards :no:

Has anyone sourced such a thing please? Main criteria:-
Must be of suitable length
Must be of firm footing
Must fold down to get in the back of a small car

:thankyousign:

Online javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 10:26:06 am »
3 metre aluminium pastetable available on ebay ,buy it now £34.95
Folds to 1 metre length

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:26:54 am »
Many thanks for the prompt reply regarding......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-3M-LONG-3-SECTION-FOLDING-WALL-PAPER-PASTING-TABLE-NEW-THREE-METRE-TRESTLE-/370723995511?pt=UK_Home_Garden_LivingRoomFurniture_EH&hash=item5650df3f77

However, it is only 77cms tall and I could really do with something half as tall again :(

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 11:42:06 am »
Just took a look at this courtesy Wetherspoon WiFi. Good little project, Mick!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:56:49 am »
I made my table out of some 2 X 2 and used bolts to fix it together. It is a sensible size so I can sit in my swivel chair and work on it. I needed to make it collapsible as my layout in in the loft with very steep stairs. I also hinged the layout to the frame so I can lift the whole kit and kaboodle up from one side or the other.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 12:58:25 pm »
Because of their main use paste tables don't normally come taller than 80cm , I cannot think of any other solution at moment

Online ColinH

• N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 02:16:02 pm »
I seem to have spent ages looking for a trestle/pasting table on t'interweb that I can use for (a) working at a reasonable height on the layout (I suffer from a weak back) and (b) one that will fit into my Ford Siesta for possible exhibition use.
When attached together the total board length is just under 9ft and the longest I've found is a Rodo Pro Dec Multi Purpose Paste Table which is still only 6ft 6in long.
Believe me, I am no carpenter so don't want to make legs for the boards :no:

Has anyone sourced such a thing please? Main criteria:-
Must be of suitable length
Must be of firm footing
Must fold down to get in the back of a small car

:thankyousign:
Could you buy two then split one in half by unscrewing the hinges? The half table could then somehow be bolted to the end of the full table to secure it.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Offline ChrisB

• N Gauge Society Number: 23021
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 08:39:30 am »
Will the layout be a separate construction that you will place on the trestles or will it be made from the trestles/pasting table.
If the main layout is a separate construction and you're just placing the layout on top then you could use these.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80150095/#
Very sturdy and are height adjustable to boot. From 71 to 93 cms
You could also fit a board on top of 2 of them to make your own trestle tables. If fixed to the bit that slides you could make it portable. Not sure how it would all fit in a Fiesta though :)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here