Started by bluedepot, June 07, 2018, 07:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherman

Q   what is  the   budget ?

I find  the £200 'pocket' cameras v  good value and  extremely versatile
<o({{{<<

d-a-n

Quote from: dave d on June 12, 2018, 03:36:06 PM
If after your various visits to camera shops etc and reviewing their advice, should you decide to buy a digital SLR, then try a company called MPB Photographic. They deal in used photographic equipment. I have used them quite a bit and can recommend them.
As a suggestion: a starter DSLR, a good lens capable of close focus and a tripod. This last will allow to maximise the depth of field whilst maintaining a rock steady camera.
Hope this adds to the discussion

Thanks for your input Dave. As much as I like them (they are what pay my mortgage and keep me in trains!) I think a DSLR might not be the right machine for this task.

My first consideration would be the cost in investing in this rig - an older crop sensor camera won't cost much, for example a Canon 400d can be had for about £60 but the macro lens (ef-s 60mm for example) will still cost around £180 and there will then be the need to make it earn it's bread and butter so maybe chuck in an 18-55 for another £50...

Secondly, the older DSLRs will auto focus but the user may need to resort to manual focus if the focus points don't line up with the intended area for focusing. Manual focusing is a trickier affair on a crop sensor camera with doesn't have a focusing screen biased towards manual focus.

Thirdly, an entry level DSLR will still have a decent sized sensor which, whilst great for image quality, won't provide that much depth of field; especially if combined with a dedicated macro lens. These macro lenses tend to be longer in focal length to stop the camera/lens/user interfering with the usual tiny subject. The downside to the long focal lengths employed by most macro lenses is one associated with any telephoto focal length - depth of field is shallow, even if it's a humble 60mm 2.8 macro lens stopped down to f/32.

Hope this helps. Best wishes, Dan.

dave d

Take your points.
But ... with a tripod, small aperture, substantial depth of field and a longer exposure a good image can be had.

grid078

Just going to make this comment on this subject.

Refer to both the Saneham Tey and James St threads, nearly all those photos ( taken by myself) are taken on a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm lens, tripod and remote shutter release. Camera set to "aperature -priority" high F stop to create maximum depth of field.
The D3100 was second hand and is now over six years old, so You don't need the latest/current model, just one You can use, I will openly admit that I am still learning, for me photography is a hobby.
You will never get a definitive answer to the camera question, it is personal preference on what you use.
Best solution is read lots of reviews and then go along to your local shop and ask to try them in store. When I purchased my original Nikon D30, Jessops ( other photography shops are available) where more than happy for me to take a few shots in store to get the feel for the camera, BUT I had already decided upon a Nikon it was just which model to purchase.

Regards Stuart

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations