Graham Farish New Product Announcement - 2018 Full List

Started by guest2, January 07, 2018, 11:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnlambert

It could get quite expensive for me when these things start hitting the shops.

I want a GWR Castle in the post-war G *Crest* W livery as per the Castle Pullman set - at least I'll be able to recover some money by selling a couple of the Pullman coaches I already own, the track and probably the DCC controller.

Maroon Hawksworth coaches are what I've been waiting for since the Hawksworths were announced.

The revised livery Blue Pullman looks so good and is more appropriate to my Western Region leanings than the original Midland Pullman.

I would rather have had a White/Blue class 101 DMU but I don't think I can resist the class 108 in that livery.

In the update on RM Web it states that the GWR Railcar is in production now.  I look forward to seeing it but I'm not sure I feel the need to buy one as I've got a few of the old Poole and China built ones.

Overall, I'm in the fortunate position that there's plenty for me this year even though I wasn't expecting much.

Invicta Alec

I'll certainly have a 158 but I'm not getting too excited!

After all, whatever happened to the 319 "announced" and also photographed in the 2016/2017 catalogue?

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

njee20

Ultimately I expected nothing, and I've got exactly what I wanted!

Would have a 158 if they did the right livery, but they're not at the moment. Would quite like a rake of Lafarge JPAs, but not at >£30 each. Literally nothing else in there I can see myself buying.

More money for Revolution and other products!

Newportnobby

Am I alone in hoping maybe Farish will use the new tooling (if it's possible) of the 8 car Western Pullman to do a full Nanking Blue set at some point as I don't really want the blue/grey with custard ends :no:

Karhedron

Quote from: newportnobby on January 08, 2018, 02:10:26 PM
Am I alone in hoping maybe Farish will use the new tooling (if it's possible) of the 8 car Western Pullman to do a full Nanking Blue set at some point as I don't really want the blue/grey with custard ends :no:

They are not doing the 8-car sets, they are still the 6-car Midland sets.

In 1966, the MR Pullman sets were transferred to the WR. They were fitted with MU jumpers so they could be run as a single 12-car set (usually on the Bristol Pullman services). They were repainted into reverse Blue/Grey colours around 1970 IIRC. The 8-car Western Region sets never received MU cables but were repainted around the same time.

I don't think Farish are likely to do the 8-car sets as there are too many differences between them and the existing 6-car sets. The 6-car sets were formed DMBF MFK TF TF MFK DMBF wheeras the 8-car sets were formed DMBS MS TFK TF TF TFK MS DMBS. Only the TF (Trailer First) was common between the 6 and 8-car sets, all the other vehicles were different.

Producing the 6-car sets after their transfer to the Western is a fairly easy change as it is just a slight change to the front ends. Doing the 8-car sets would involve tooling up 3 complete new bodyshells (DMBS, MS and TFK). then you consider the existing BP only has 3 unique vehicles, you can see it would cost almost as much to produce the 8-car sets as it would the 6-cars, there is very little commonality between them.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Newportnobby

:oopssign:
I should have read it more closely.
Still, that'll save me a pot of money and I can get 3 locos for the price

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Dr Al on January 08, 2018, 12:32:24 PM
No UK EMU or DMU has through wiring apart from Hornby/Arnold Belle, and the forthcoming Pendolino.

Hi

As far as I am aware the Pendolino has a decoder in each of the end cars so doesn't have through wiring.

From the revolution trains web site

DCC sound factory fitted in both power cars will be available for an additional £95 per set with sounds from Legomanbiffo – there will be two DCC
decoders with two speakers (one in each driving car)

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

red_death

The Pendolino has through wiring purely for pick up (we wanted to just use one decoder originally but it became too complex for the coupler connections).

I completely understand why people dislike price increases, but comparing the discounted costs of a 350 produced in 2012 (?) with a new production run is misleading - they are being heavily discounted to clear stock but a new production run in new liveries will cost significantly more than it did 5-6 years ago).  The major price increase of a re-run are not typically someone making more money but simply increased assembly costs (it depends of course on how many runs a model is amortised over).

DCC sound - fitting in a Next 18 socket/decoder and speaker will remove some mass but it shouldn't be too detrimental for most locos.  I don't know what margin Bachman got on the £60 price increase for the DCC sound fitted 40 but I can't imagine that it is a massive cash cow for them (certainly not compared to the costs of new tooling to fit sound), so I suspect it is them finally realising the demand for factory sound fitted N gauge exists (see how quickly the 40, Castle and DMU sold).  I haven't looked at our figures for the split recently but at one point we were selling about 40% DCC sound fitted items.

Cheers, Mike

njee20

To be fair I'm not sure if anyone is saying that, I wholly agree that anyone expecting that is sorely misguided, was merely hypothesising as to the reason the old production run didn't sell well, and how, unless they've changed that, I wonder if a similar fate will befall these new ones, particularly the TPE ones. I expect the SWT ones to appeal to a sufficiently different group of people.

I hope it does sell well for Farish though, it's a great model and a shame (for them) they're being punted out cheap!

I think Bachmann have been quite shrewd on their sound pricing - at £60 I think that's an absolute no brainer, whilst Dapol's £100+ is more akin to an aftermarket upgrade and I'd be less keen. Would be great to see sound fitting rolled out more widely, and one assumes that's a likelihood given the popularity of previous models.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on January 08, 2018, 11:51:27 AM
It's possible. Would be an odd choice though. IMO one of the reasons the 350 didn't sell better was that you need 3 decoders to convert it to DCC.

Changing to Next18 actually worsens that due to a lack of cheaper Next18 decoders.

Unless they leave the 6-pin decoders in the driving cars for the lights, and put a Next-18 in the motor car allowing sound? Doesn't seem that likely, but they have done at least one 00 Gauge DMU with an 8pin in the driving car and a 6-pin in the trailer, as I recall.

Dr Al

Quote from: red_death on January 08, 2018, 03:59:54 PM
I completely understand why people dislike price increases, but comparing the discounted costs of a 350 produced in 2012 (?) with a new production run is misleading - they are being heavily discounted to clear stock but a new production run in new liveries will cost significantly more than it did 5-6 years ago).  The major price increase of a re-run are not typically someone making more money but simply increased assembly costs (it depends of course on how many runs a model is amortised over).

I guess with such large price increases, the reason this is aired is that this is a model that's fully tooled, and therefore there's minimal tooling cost to spread over a new run (some pad print tooling for livery I guess, plus any maintenance cost on existing tooling), but there seems little evidence Bachmann acknowledge this by using any margin there to temper price increases a bit.

Quote from: red_death on January 08, 2018, 03:59:54 PM
DCC sound - fitting in a Next 18 socket/decoder and speaker will remove some mass but it shouldn't be too detrimental for most locos.  I don't know what margin Bachman got on the £60 price increase for the DCC sound fitted 40 but I can't imagine that it is a massive cash cow for them (certainly not compared to the costs of new tooling to fit sound), so I suspect it is them finally realising the demand for factory sound fitted N gauge exists (see how quickly the 40, Castle and DMU sold)

I think that's the cash cow point - less that the margin is much higher, rather that they can shift the stock much quicker than the standard fit non-DCC sound models. The Castle and 40 have shifted most or all of their (presumably 1008 as in the past?) production units already; plenty of stocks of standard models about. Add to that the strategy of only fitting a minority with sound means that some of those sounds sales will be to transplant into the other livery variants. They've realised it's a good way to up turnover of stock.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

crepello

Quote from: Skyline2uk on January 07, 2018, 01:02:10 PM
371-288 Class 55 No. 55015 'Tulyar' BR Blue

Arg! So close, but 55015 has to be in two-tone green for me.  A dearly missed friend was kind enough to let me drive (ok, play with) a 7 1/4 inch version which he would have been livid to see in blue!

That said, its nice for others that this model is going to be "First time a BR Blue liveried Deltic with white window surrounds has been modelled in N Scale". I will have to stick to my orginal plan of re-numbering the current "Pinza" model one day.

Skyline2uk
Not sure whether the assertion about the FP Deltic has been corrected elsewhere yet, but Poole-based Graham Farish did 55009 Alycidon.

red_death

Quote from: Dr Al on January 08, 2018, 04:46:39 PM
I guess with such large price increases, the reason this is aired is that this is a model that's fully tooled, and therefore there's minimal tooling cost to spread over a new run (some pad print tooling for livery I guess, plus any maintenance cost on existing tooling), but there seems little evidence Bachmann acknowledge this by using any margin there to temper price increases a bit.

Which is why I said that the tooling amortisation is important - if you amortise it over more than one run (which I suspect Bachmann do - why would they not given that they intend to produce multiple runs of things) then the tooling cost would be the same for the second run as the first.  Unless you know how many runs the tooling is amortised over then you can't assume that a re-run has no tooling cost.

For example:

Tooling cost = £100k
Amortised over say 3 runs = £33k per run vs amortised over 5 runs = £20k per run (the actual amount doesn't matter as the point is the charge to each production run will be the same for the production runs that are included in the amortisation period).
Of course you could be right that Bachmann amortise over a single run, but that wouldn't be normal for a company of their size.

Quote from: Dr Al on January 08, 2018, 04:46:39 PM
I think that's the cash cow point - less that the margin is much higher, rather that they can shift the stock
That isn't really a cash cow though if you are not getting a higher margin (or possibly a lower margin!). I don't think people can blame them for wanting to shift stock as quickly as possible!

Carmont

I have to say, I hope the sound fitting doesn't become too widespread. I'd rather it was kept similar to DCC, in that models are produced ready for sound, rather than it becoming all or nothing.

I fully accept the chip and the speaker can be removed and sold on, but that's not really the point. The outlay has to be found first of all to purchase the model. In tht regard, I'm glad the blue 40 was the sound fitted one.

Je suis pro choix

Dalek

Is the class 31 difficult to add sound to currently ? pre this release ?

Next18 decoder, whats the advantage over the older type ? apart from having sound on board ?

You can tell i'm interested but not done this yet  :)

Cheers
Craig

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations