GF old & new Jinty

Started by lil chris, March 27, 2015, 11:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lil chris

Has any one noticed the difference in size of the two  Jinty's. I never noticed until today I took pics of them both together.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Dr Al

Bear in mind the older loco isn't really a Jinty - it's Farish GP tank, which is a more generic 0-6-0, with broad features that resemble the Jinty, but not solely based upon it, so it could be produced in as many liveries as possible (LNER, SR, LMS,BR).

The Poole Farish Jinty of 1997(ish) production is much more accurate, and of course your new model will be the most accurate of them all.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

lil chris

Thanks Alan, I appreciate your knowledge, if I wanted to detail the old model what would be the best thing to do to it. Or am I wasting my time, with it being so old. It was the first n-gauge loco I bought years ago which was used on a layout built for my children, so has sentimental value too.
Lil Chris
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.

Bealman

I also have one of those early GP tanks, which still chugs along nicely. Personally, Chris, I wouldn't bother with doing it up, but each to his own - it could be a nice little project, but the problem is that the dimensions are all wrong.

Incidentally, I recall seeing a comparison of the old Poole Jinty and the new one somewhere... it may have been the NGS Journal, but I can't remember which issue.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

lil chris

Thanks George, after what Alan told me I realised that, I might just weather it a bit and  possibly change the number at some  point.
Lil Chris

Dr Al

To be honest, the old GP tank isn't that accurate for anything, but personally I think it still looks fine in BR livery and they can be useful little workhorses.

Personally I'd keep the loco as is if it has sentimental value, or just do some light detailing e.g. paint the wheel rims, and the visible pickup strips black, add coupling hooks, paint the buffer shanks red. Even these little things can lift an older model a huge amount whilst still retaining its original character.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

PLD

Yes as Al said, you've missed out a step in the evolution timeline...

I did take a photo of the three together when the latest Jinty was first released but I can't find it right now. May have to re-do it if I still have an unmoddified GP in stock...

The big leap forward was the late 90s Jinty. The changes to the current model are much smaller and more subtle but together add up to a fine little model.

Looking back the 1990s Jinty can be seen as a significant model for the improvement of N Gauge.  It was the first model that was effectively a replacement for/upgrade to an existing model. IIRC it was the first Farish model with a bespoke chassis rather than using a generic "one size doesn't quite fit any of the 3 or 4 locos we use it for" block and hence the first with correct unequal wheel spacing. and also introduced other refinements in the persuit of finer detail such as the use of plastic for the cab roof on an otherwise plastic body.

Newportnobby

In case PLD can't find his pics, here are some comparison pics between the older Jinty (ref 372-203) and the latest version (ref 372-212).
Ignore the colour differences as the early crest version (the older one) is supposedly factory weathered. This version is also nearest the camera.

paulprice

I think the latest release is a stunning model, but I still have a soft spot for the older release model, so muct so I have 5 in my fleet, and seem to find myself looking for more on Fleabay from time to time

lil chris

Thanks guys and thanks Mick for the pics. I can not remember when I bought my early tank it must have been late 80's or early 90's. The number on the box of the loco was Graham Farish number 1706  someone might now what age that is, I also have number 1201 a 4P from the same time, one for each of the children. I built a smallish layout on a board which hinged on the wall for my two sons, they loved it, It was never completed and was dismantled quite a while ago when they grew up and needed the room. Fortunately I had the forsighte to keep all the stock and quite a few of the models and some of the old track. I will keep this loco for those reasons, it is a good runner and has more pulling power than the new ones.
Lil Chris

Bealman

Good comparison pics, Mick.   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

E Pinniger

Interesting to see how many differences in detail, proportion and, especially, size there are between the new Jinty and the old one! I always thought the latter was one of the best of the Poole-era Farish steamers as regards detail finesse, but the new one makes it look almost as clumsy and oversize as the GP tank.

The "factory weathering" for the old Jinty basically consists of an overall dusting of matt dark grey to tone down the finish. Pretty basic, but arguably more realistic for a lightly weathered steam loco than the muddy brown airbrushing which used to be the standard for factory weathering!

Adrian

Apologies if I've missed this mentioned elsewhere - I'm sure it probably has!

But, could I ask please, does the current incarnation of the Jinty have see through wheels?

I don't mean "transparent" (before someone thinks I'm late for April 1st) !!

I mean open spoked - or other more technical description of the feature.

Thanks

Adrian

Dr Al

Quote from: Adrian on April 02, 2015, 09:07:27 PM
I mean open spoked - or other more technical description of the feature.

Yes, the latest tool version has fully spoked wheels.

HTH,
Alan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations