Important Notice regarding the NGS Shop

Started by Mirrlees, October 26, 2014, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkilliman

I have met Ray & Carol just once at the Thornbury Bristol show, probably around 10 years back now. They have more than done their stint I would think. In the last few days I have taken Ben A's advice and sent off my deposit for the Collett BG. Given the statement re' Carol's position will the mail be picked up, as if it stockpiles it will cause an eventual headache for some poor soul.

MikeDunn

Just been catching up after a few days ... sad news :(  And I just sent a small order off over the week-end too :(

joe cassidy

I agree with Etched Pixels that Carol deserves some form of recognition for all the years of service.

Best regards,

Joe

portland-docks

its such a shame whats going on in the society lately, because of this resignation (not her fault, i dont blame her for resigning!) myself and many others now cannot order parts we need to do modifications!

im after the 1960s east coast pullman car set, so i can rename literally 1 pullman! all i need is robin!

i spoke to modelmaster and unfortunatly i cant get them through them due to the agreement with the society, so im now snookered!
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

red_death

Hi Portland-Docks

Even without Carol's resignation, the Shop was going to have to close to complete a stock check and to implement new software.  We had deliberately gone for the Christmas period as experience has shown us that this is a relatively quiet period for the Shop normally.

I think the key message is that we ask members for a bit of patience, but that in return we can say that the Shop will re-open as quickly as possible.

Cheers, Mike

portland-docks

Quote from: red_death on October 31, 2014, 02:28:08 PM
Hi Portland-Docks

Even without Carol's resignation, the Shop was going to have to close to complete a stock check and to implement new software.  We had deliberately gone for the Christmas period as experience has shown us that this is a relatively quiet period for the Shop normally.

I think the key message is that we ask members for a bit of patience, but that in return we can say that the Shop will re-open as quickly as possible.

Cheers, Mike

so while the shop is shut, why cant we get the modelmaster transfers directly from modelmaster? surely since they are modelmaster products, if the shop is shut we should be able to still get his products through him? seems abit daft to me having this set up so that you can only get them through the society and even when its shut you still cant get his products!

paul
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

Roy L S

From the apparent lack of a "Plan B" as far as the Shop is concerned it would seem that this is both unplanned and unexpected.

Without question Carol did an incredible job for many years and NGS members have been the beneficiaries. I hope that the shop issue is resolved quickly as it is one of the most significant and valuable features of the Society alongside the Journal and it could damage membership renewals (and new members) if it is not.

Roy

trkilliman

I have to agree that the shop is an important benefit of membership, and that any prolonged down time could result in the dissatisfaction and maybe loss of some members. With the reorganisation of the shop and online ordering facility,is it envisaged that overall sales will increase with online ordering?  If so, would processing the online orders / postal ordering, packing, despatching and re-ordering become more of an employee position as opposed to a volunteer position? 

red_death

Quote from: Roy L S on October 31, 2014, 06:48:44 PM
From the apparent lack of a "Plan B" as far as the Shop is concerned it would seem that this is both unplanned and unexpected.

Roy - as I said earlier, it was always planned to close the Shop over Christmas.

Quote from: trkilliman on October 31, 2014, 07:45:43 PM
If so, would processing the online orders / postal ordering, packing, despatching and re-ordering become more of an employee position as opposed to a volunteer position? 

Simply - no, I don't think that is realistic at the moment.

Quote from: portland-docks on October 31, 2014, 05:43:11 PM
so while the shop is shut, why cant we get the modelmaster transfers directly from modelmaster? surely since they are modelmaster products, if the shop is shut we should be able to still get his products through him? seems abit daft to me having this set up so that you can only get them through the society and even when its shut you still cant get his products!

Some time ago the NGS purchased part of the Modelmaster range, I'm not really sure why they were never re-branded as part of the NGS range.

Cheers, Mike

Roy L S

Quote from: red_death on October 31, 2014, 10:14:52 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on October 31, 2014, 06:48:44 PM

Roy - as I said earlier, it was always planned to close the Shop over Christmas.

[

Hi Mike

I appreciate that you made that point, but (1) as of now the shop is effectively closed and no new orders are being taken, today is 31st October which is nowhere near Christmas and (2) there is no indication or indeed even as far as I can interpret plan of when exactly after Christmas trade will resume or in what form with the possible exception of wagon kits and RTR.

I am not criticising anyone here I just think it is important that the NGS is clear that this resignation of the NGS Shop Manager for whatever reason (which we may never know) is a major disruption during which time much of the NGS's significant and in many cases unique stock will not be available to it's members. I and many others I am sure would prefer a realistic appraisal of the situation to be communicated rather then "spin".

Regards

Roy

NinOz

Quote from: red_death on October 31, 2014, 02:28:08 PM
<snip>
I think the key message is that we ask members for a bit of patience,............<snip>
Asking a bit much for some. ;D

Waiting patiently to try the new software on some kits and transfers. :angel:

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Les1952

Quote from: portland-docks on October 31, 2014, 05:43:11 PM

paul
[/quote]

Having tried to get products (two nameplates) out of Modelmaster that he advertises as being available direct and then taking 11 months and several emails and phone calls for him to eventually to tell me to go to the NGS shop(!) I think you would be far better (and most probably far quicker) waiting for the shop to reopen.  Failing that, for transfers try Fox or another of the alternative manufacturers.......

Contrast that with what happened when I tried the shop for these two nameplates and added a few other alternatives.  Ray sorted out from a list I sent a selection of twenty-odd and brought them to the NGS Worldwide Convention at Retford for me to browse through and make my selection.   In the end I bought all but one.  I'd originally gone direct to Modelmaster because the shop hadn't had a supply from him for some time.

I think that Carol and Ray have served the NGS exceptionally well with the shop over a great number of years.  Here's hoping the Society can find the dozen or so people it will need to replace them (even WITH a computer).

All the very best
Les

trkilliman

Quote from: trkilliman on Yesterday at 07:45:43 pm
If so, would processing the online orders / postal ordering, packing, despatching and re-ordering become more of an employee position as opposed to a volunteer position? 

Simply - no, I don't think that is realistic at the moment.

Another interested contributor to this thread ,Les, has said I hope you can find a dozen or so people to replace Carol and Ray.

So, I wonder what is realistic then red_death?  Something will need to be pulled out of the hat fairly quickly as volunteers are not always as forthcoming as one might hope for. The reason I muted the idea of an employee is that with such a huge membership I imagine there is some disposable income that could be used towards a paid person running the shop?  Carol and Ray will be a very hard act to follow, and if a volunteer/s can be found who can deliver the same level of service then great. I think a variety of options will need considering though, but maybe this is already happening.

I'm sure I speak for other contributors to this thread by saying we are certainly not throwing stones, simply very concerned that a prime benefit of NGS membership is now "temporarily" suspended.

CarriageShed

Quote from: red_death on October 31, 2014, 10:14:52 PM
Some time ago the NGS purchased part of the Modelmaster range, I'm not really sure why they were never re-branded as part of the NGS range.

Cheers, Mike

Probably because customers of Modelmaster would have some idea of what to expect from the NGS Modelmaster range, while the shop listings can be extremely vague and lacking in information for those of us who are relatively new to the Society.

Hopefully the fully online shop, when it arrives, will be able to carry much more information about each product than the old paper listings ever did.

Bealman

Like yourself Pete33, I am relative newcomer to the NGS. I also await the full online version of the shop with anticipation.

However, the brilliant stuff I ordered at the end of last year with the 'semi automatic' system arrived on time and I was most impressed.

I think we should give these folks a break and show patience.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations