!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DTM30 programming - the second easiest way?  (Read 173 times)

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
DTM30 programming - the second easiest way?
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:50:05 am »
As I reported in my layout thread, I've bought one of the Signa Track/CML DTM30 Super Tower Masters, and downloaded their software to program it. That's where the problem lies.

The documentation only talks about Digitrax kit, and I have Uhlenbrock equipment. I haven't yet been able to make the software talk to the USB interface. Is there a trick to this? Is it even possible? I don't fancy forking out a further 70-80 quid for a Digitrax USB interface that I'm only going to use once in a blue moon.

My fallback position is to program it the old-fashioned way, CV by CV - I only need points, so it won't be too arduous.

I did wonder if I could use a Sprog for this.

So much kit, so little experience!
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: DTM30 programming - the second easiest way?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 11:53:03 am »
I would imagine there's more to it than just having a USB interface, as from a hardware perspective that will just provide the communications layer. The programming software still has to "talk" the correct protocol with the Uhlenbrock software layer sitting on top of the USB support, so if no-one's written a suitable driver it's probably not going to work.

[edit] Ah, the software FAQs does say LocoAnalyse should work with Intellibox, but is that for other functions of the software? Wouldn't have thought it would need to do this to program a DTM30, and like you I'm also getting the impression that LocoAnalyse needs a Digitrax interface to get onto the LocoNet?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:17:46 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 02:11:54 pm »
Good spot, I hadn't noticed the FAQ.

I think an email to GFB might be in order. From what it says about the Intellibox, I'm wondering if (hoping that) I just need to get the settings right, and fool it into thinking it's something else.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:47:06 pm »

I'm not convinced that the Uhlenbrock USB interface will work for this.   I can't recall if I actually tried it, but most software I routinely use on a computer for LocoNet stuff needs either a PR3/4 or a LocoBuffer, and when I've tried I couldn't get the Uhlenbrock to work with any settings I tried for those applications (including trying to tell software there was an Intellibox on the end of it).

My attempts were based around a Daisy-II system plus Uhlenbrock USB bought for updating the Icons on the Daisy-II handset - something which brought back doing monochrome bit-map icon design from the 1980's, but the end results were worth the effort.   

Once setup, the DTM30 plays fine with an Uhlenbrock system.

Offline Yet_Another

• Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:18 pm »
Thanks for that, Nigel. I've had another play this evening, with nothing positive to report. I've emailed GFB through the Signa Trak website, so I'll see if anything comes back.

I've already started on the spreadsheet for setting everything manually. 
Tony

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything