!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Off on a journey. The departure.  (Read 49987 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Off on a journey. The departure.
« Reply #525 on: May 19, 2018, 09:47:15 pm »
Well I think things work, at least with one controller. I spent the afternoon testing various locos round and round. A few problems with point blades not making good connections, a couple of fishplates loose but apart from that all OK.
I've downloaded a video editing program which I'm trying to get the hang of but here are a couple of rather poor first attempts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8TBkpaPxZ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq58HUg7j5g
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #526 on: May 19, 2018, 09:52:07 pm »
Very good. I like the pannier and 'B' set :thumbsup:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #527 on: May 19, 2018, 10:11:43 pm »
Another offering. Taken a couple of days ago. Again, not good quality. I use my wife's point and shoot. My camera is so old it doesn't have a video facility.
I thought if the s was removed from the https the video appeared in the post. What am I doing wrong?
http://youtu.be/GFQNTYn-V1I
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #528 on: May 19, 2018, 11:00:07 pm »
If you click on the 'YouTube' button on the font toolbar (2nd row down and 2nd from the left) it appears in your post and then you just paste your YouTube link in between the brackets. It will then appear in your post

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #529 on: May 21, 2018, 12:30:03 am »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the videos Brian, always good to see trains running
        regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #530 on: May 21, 2018, 06:00:56 am »
:hellosign: Thanks for the videos Brian, always good to see trains running
        regards Derek.

Seconded! It's good to see some reasonably long trains having a good run, Brian.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #531 on: May 21, 2018, 08:53:12 pm »
A break from testing and wiring today. I have at long last started on producing decals. I don't think I can call it design. Nothing to show yet but I think I've got Sam's Cider sorted and have started on Castle Breweries, so far for a van. Proofs for comment will follow in due course. Ideas please for other Cornish, Scottish or where ever companies, or a decal swap!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #532 on: May 21, 2018, 08:55:01 pm »
Sounds fascinating Brian.
The directors of the Headland Brewery are watching with interest.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #533 on: May 22, 2018, 06:18:20 am »
Hi Brian,

Great that you've started the decals. I still can't remember what the plan was/is but will need some over 'ere in Brittany when your ready so please don't forget me.

I only seem to have 'through' containers but they'll need some and also have market stall gazebo things for my future beer and cider festival which could do with a bit of advertising. It'll be embracing cider from the West Country, Ireland and Spain as well as the local brew but a Sam's cider one would be a great start.

Can chat about that but looking forward to your results and how you did it.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:23:37 am by weave »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #534 on: May 22, 2018, 03:53:00 pm »
I'm making them for those who want them either in file format or printed. There are a lot of businesses so it will take time. I really would appreciate a little input as to what folks want and the type of design to suit their business. I hope by the weekend I can post some ideas and possibly wagons suitably adorned.
In such a small scale the raised relief on the wagons is enormous compared to reality. Experiments with an ink jet printer were not a success as so much setting solution had to be used it soaked through to the printing and smudged it all. Without the solution the decals don't bed down properly. On a flat surface there's no problem. If there are any decal experts out there help tips would be very useful.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #535 on: May 22, 2018, 08:53:49 pm »
I'm making them for those who want them either in file format or printed. There are a lot of businesses so it will take time. I really would appreciate a little input as to what folks want and the type of design to suit their business. I hope by the weekend I can post some ideas and possibly wagons suitably adorned.
In such a small scale the raised relief on the wagons is enormous compared to reality. Experiments with an ink jet printer were not a success as so much setting solution had to be used it soaked through to the printing and smudged it all. Without the solution the decals don't bed down properly. On a flat surface there's no problem. If there are any decal experts out there help tips would be very useful.

Many thanks, Brian. It's a long time ago, but I think I sent you the graphics for my brands? For the Peco Extra-LWB vans and grain hoppers a plasticard brand board the same size as the oblong on the grain wagons would be best for mounting the transfers, I think. I suggest you experiment with the boards for your brewery grain hoppers, first, as you have the transfers ready?

Maybe smaller boards could be affixed to the SWB vans and wagons, too? Then just the vehicle numbers and other data could be direct transfers to the lower side?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:13:07 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #536 on: May 22, 2018, 09:44:28 pm »
Yes I've got yours. I'm having to modify them slightly to fit the wagons. I made some temporary boards for the grain wagons and a similar small board would be a good idea for the pallet wagons. Running numbers shouldn't be a problem, very small but I think the printer will cope. Being somewhat ignorant on such matters, I need more info on the numbers, siting them I can refer to photos.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #537 on: May 26, 2018, 10:28:41 am »
Good morning Brian, for the vans with split doors the 'branding board' (white plasticard oblong) should have a vertical divide and only be as long on either side of the centre as the doors so that they could be opened.  So the transfer should allow for the central split. For the open wagons with central doors, the main branding board can be mounted top left on the bodyside with a second board, if required, mounted top right. Individual vehicle running numbers can be random four-figure ones, like 0001, etc. with LOAD 12T, 16T, etc. There should also be RETURN TO plus the name of the home station. The branding board should include a local telephone number, e.g. Wadebridge 1234 for Cant Cove PO goods stock. Martin has mythical 'phone numbers for most, if not all, of his companies, I think.

The "Bass" and "Worthington" vans can provide some ideas for text and positioning.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:35:05 am by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #538 on: May 26, 2018, 08:42:20 pm »
Thanks Chris. More information to assimilate! I've not done much with decals as my big monitor gave up the ghost. My small monitor is too small. A new one should be here on Monday.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #539 on: June 01, 2018, 08:17:04 pm »
Very sorry to read that you're having problems with the big monitor. I do hope that you've now got a replacement and can continue your work on the transfers, soon.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here