Annual Wishlist Poll

Started by ScottyStitch, October 10, 2016, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

That's exactly my point Mike (edit: I meant Woodbury, but also red_death, with whom I also agree), thanks, and I totally agree.

If people want a wish list then start a sticky thread on here - @Newportnobby you're a mod - why not just create one? People can just stick what they want in there and everyone's happy. It's a bit of fun.

If you want something the manufactures may take heed of then you need a modicum of focus. Whilst a 'free for all' wish list thread may yield some popular choices it'll be totally lost in the noise and people making super obscure suggestions.

leachsprite4

I may be rather simple if rmweb can provide the data form they used as the basis for their questionnaire two years ago. even the full results from the pdf will provide data to start the format. This would also make survey more consistent in comparison to others.

Of course some would need to be removed from this and some added. As an example I think a greslely V2 was missing from the list.

Graham

Ben A

Quote from: leachsprite4 on October 15, 2018, 06:23:07 PM
I may be rather simple if rmweb can provide the data form they used as the basis for their questionnaire two years ago. even the full results from the pdf will provide data to start the format. This would also make survey more consistent in comparison to others.

Of course some would need to be removed from this and some added. As an example I think a greslely V2 was missing from the list.

Graham

Hello,

As I said in my previous posting, all this sort of stuff is in the crib sheets and notes created over several years by the poll team, and the team are happy to talk through any questions or thoughts those involved may have.  They just don't have the time/expertise to actually *do* it themselves.

And in terms of how it works and how the information is decided on and presented - that is for the team that emerges from this process to decide. 

For now, what we really need is volunteers ready to investigate the idea.  I have had some interest already so I'm hopeful that we can move forward positively.

cheers

Ben A.

acko22

Hi All,

Well I will try to avoid going down the rabbit hole that wish lists can create! But when it comes to selecting models to go onto a wish list they need to be simplified. The truth is that in OO you can more options as the market is about 4 times larger than N gauge (Figures I have heard is 80,000 active OO vs 20,000 N gauge), so the OO market will support a wider spread of models and wishes on any poll.

My take on what has been said is to limit each of the following to 10 choices each:

Steam Locomotives
Diesel Locomotives
Electric Locomotives
Diesel Multiple Units
Electric Multiple Units

But 20 of each for:

Coaches
Wagons.

The reason I split it this simply is that if you start going down the rabbits hole of era region, and livery then it makes it over complicated and there is not a large enough market to start going down that route.
In addition to the size of the market should we start going down the route of opening the options, then it dilutes any poll as it will show 20 of one 4 of another 6 of the last. Where as limiting the options means the figures will be more directed to specific models so the above numbers will show as 30 against a specific model in such a poll.

When it comes to which items to involve in the poll this becomes a much more complicated matter which no doubt will always leave some people unhappy, but I would have thought a good starting place will be to use the models that have been / are currently / due to arrive. However there is a limitation to that, this been that the models have have been produced within say 10 years.
In addition to this we shouldn't exclude from the poll older models that need retooling such as the Class 45 or indeed a current model in a new livery (Class 60 a good example as the 10 Colas examples are now owned by GBRF)

These are just my thoughts and no doubt I should now prepare for incoming fire there for Helmet and Body armour are going on!  :smiley-laughing:

Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Roy L S

Personally I would keep it really simple. Identify say the 10 most likely prospects in each category and then allow just one choice. The times of manufacturers producing multiple models in a given year in each category is gone so pointless making it too wide-ranging. Then have just one "other" choice that would require manual collation.

By way of an example, steam locos, 10 choices (for illustratrive purposes only): -

Crab
Stanier Mogul
Princess Class
61xx Prairie
94xx Pannier
Rebuilt Bullied Light Pacific
King Arthur
K3
ROD 02
L1 Tank Loco
Other

Pick just one. If nothing takes your fancy, and you have no "other" choice move on to the next category..

I really do think that if those on RM Web are for their own reasons not pursuing a wishlist for N, something should be done by us on N Gauge Forum. Producing nothing would send all the wrong signals. Maybe a group of members could produce a list each for a specific category then pull together the results collectively?

Roy

JimSan

I personally would've gone with only 5 locos per category (pick from top five most wanted), but have it arranged as such:

One poll each for each grouping (so SR/GWR/LMS and LNER)
Blue BR/TOPS
Sector/Private
Modern

I wouldn't suggest anything for liveries till one each has been selected for each category, while it would be a broader range but with less options to pick from but at least gives more choice to pick something you might be interested in.
Bosnport - A Fictional P'Mouth and S'Sea based Layout upon a Bunk Bed
Gosport Railworks - My Youtube Channel
3D Printing Services

Primary Modelling eras/region: Era 3 '30s Southern, Era 4-5 BR(S) and Era 8 Network Southeast

njee20

But how do you know the top 5 most wanted? I think it's got to be a longer short list than that, and definitely not at the level of livery. You're trying to get to the top 5, not tell people what it is. It's a middle ground between "here are what we think you want" and "here's every prototype ever". Ideally you don't want anything with no votes, as that suggests it's not popular. You're not looking for a single "winner" in each category either - you're simply looking to show what the modelling fraternity want. That may mean two LNER locos and a modern wagon get 50 votes, while nothing else gets more than 10. That's fine, it's not a competition in and of itself.

I definitely don't think you should limit choices to one per category either. I don't care about steam locos, there's nothing I want. No coaching stock either, and even diesels I think are covered off. However there are various rakes of wagons that I'd buy if they became available - JHAs, MRAs, KSAs etc etc, and choosing one risks distorting the feedback, which is precisely what you need to avoid.

Mike's spot on that it needs to be considered an expression of interest too - if these things were released you'd buy one (or more), not that you quite like the prototype, but you'd never have one.

Dalek

:hellosign:

This is really easy, no need for a poll  :smiley-laughing:

LMS twins, Class 28 Co-Bo and the streamlined coronation class and matching coaches
then the next year
DP2, Class A tankers, GWR railcar multiple unit
then
Class 17 Clayton, Class 21/29, Class 15/16

etc

Job done  :o :sorrysign:  :D

kiwi1941

Quote from: Dalek on October 16, 2018, 08:24:16 AM
This is really easy, no need for a poll:

LMS twins, Class 28 Co-Bo and the streamlined coronation class and matching coaches
then the next year
DP2, Class A tankers, GWR railcar multiple unit
then
Class 17 Clayton, Class 21/29, Class 15/16
I'd agree with this. Let's go!  Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

BramptonBranch

It may not count but the twins, Co Bo, 15/16, DP2 are available as resin bodies, (would love the co bo mind.)
Then there's shapeways 3d prints does this dilute the chances?

Not likely but  class 76/77 would be nice.....although again shapeways do a couple of versions.
You can never have to many Warships!

PostModN66

304, 310, 323, Electrostar.   Couldn't hold it in any longer.......  :sorrysign:

Cheers Jon  :)

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

njee20

I think it should generally apply to mass market RTR only. So anything available in kit form is still fair game for the list, after all, pretty much everything is available in some guise if you're happy doing some building!

johnlambert

My take on doing an N gauge wish list poll this year would be to take the 2016 poll, remove anything that's been announced or released and just use that list. Any new additions to the poll can then be debated for a poll in 2019 or 2020.

I have put myself forward to assist with an N gauge poll, although I don't know if my help will be necessary.

Dalek

Quote from: BramptonBranch on October 16, 2018, 12:51:53 PM
It may not count but the twins, Co Bo, 15/16, DP2 are available as resin bodies, (would love the co bo mind.)
Then there's shapeways 3d prints does this dilute the chances?

I don't want to sound harsh or offensive but... the current crop of RTR are far superior in detail and quality, unless your a master builder of these kits and i'm not. Plus with RTR you possibly get sound from the factory, DCC, lights etc etc. Again all possible if you have the skills and time.

Look at the Class B tankers compared to a kit or dare i say it a Peco tanker, i know the Peco tanker isn't a kit but i think you know what i mean, its from a different planet!

So guess what i should have put was RTR versions not kits, although many people have the skills to turn out something nice i am not one of those people unfortunately.

Anyway the ones i posted are only a few of the models i'd like, also like all of the diesel prototypes, yeah i know, i will probably have to build one from a kit...  :laugh:  Maybe if i rub grease into my eyes my attempts would look ok  ;) :D

njee20

Quote from: johnlambert on October 16, 2018, 02:00:51 PM
I have put myself forward to assist with an N gauge poll, although I don't know if my help will be necessary.

Hi John, you have a PM on RMWeb - I didn't realise you were on here!

Quote from: Dalek on October 16, 2018, 02:03:30 PM
So guess what i should have put was RTR versions not kits, although many people have the skills to turn out something nice i am not one of those people unfortunately.

Yep, agreed, and I'd add mass-market too. CJM does some stunning models, but at £600+ a throw they're outside the realm of most people's spending power!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations