!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Westleigh Late 90s (early privitisation)  (Read 480 times)

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
Westleigh Late 90s (early privitisation)
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:15 pm »
Some of you on the Facebook group may have seen a few photos i put up about a new project I'm working at the moment. This is a 7x2 single board layout using conventional construction techniques. Its a standard single track roundy-roundy but with a few differences. When its at home its only one board but i go to shows with it there are two extra fiddle yards at 90 degrees so it can be either continuous run or end to end.

Ive been working on the project for quite a long while trying to get things right, its one thing I've learn't is i do tend to rush on with things and possibly don't consider whether its right or don't possibly do the best job i can because i want it to get it finished. That is why in two weeks I've laid half a curve and two points.

The era is also a little different to whats common, for me i really began my spotting in the mid to late 90s so its the era i remember very well and it was before i got bored with the current scene not long after 2000. This layout is set in Southampton area on a back line avoiding the congestion of the central area so there is lots of opportunity for freight such as freightliner, fuel oil, LPG, china clay etc  Passenger services are provided by mk1 EMUs together with odd Cross Country HSTs and LHCS trains.

Anyway so photos for you all to see what I'm babbling about.

Richard

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:27:40 am by B757-236GT »
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Westleigh Late 90s Southern (early privitisation)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 07:47:03 am »
 :thankyousign:
I like the versatility that your fiddle yards bring for shows - you definitely have the best of both worlds in that design.
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Westleigh Late 90s Southern (early privitisation)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 10:24:22 am »
I like it. Best of both worlds :thumbsup:

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
Re: Westleigh Late 90s (early privitisation)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:27:25 am »
The fiddle yard idea is shamefully nicked from a few other layouts, Lofthole being one and some of the Alsager group layouts which have fiddle yard at 90 degrees.

In terms of the layout itself southern is vying with OHLE. Whatever i choose it will probably fairly unique in terms of era.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 10:46:37 am »
Hi Richard,

Very much looking forward to your build and the era.

Travelled the London - Pompey, London - Soton/Bournemouth lines many times in those days.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 10:53:37 am »
 :thumbsup: From Australia!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 11:19:26 am »
The fiddle yard idea is shamefully nicked from a few other layouts, Lofthole being one and some of the Alsager group layouts which have fiddle yard at 90 degrees.

In terms of the layout itself southern is vying with OHLE. Whatever i choose it will probably fairly unique in terms of era.

Richard

Hey Richard - always Nice to get a namecheck!!!!  Nick away, no need for shame.

Look into my eyes   :goggleeyes: OHLE   :goggleeyes: OHLE  :goggleeyes: OHLE  :goggleeyes: OHLE  :goggleeyes:

Cheers Jon  :)

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »
To be honest its a really good idea of how to add storage space for show use, lets face it at home there isn't the need for lots of storage space as you can vary it more. The only difference here is its using a ladder fiddle yard rather than a traverser that you have. I haven't discounted just having one board in the middle but as i have two 5x1 boards built it seems  shame to waste them.

IT suits both the SR and OHLE. Both have strong points to do them. I did consider somewhere in West London but for some reason it leaves me a little cold. It would either have to be the good old SR or somewhere in the North West.

Hopefully tonight i might get some time to work on it and finish off the front platform line, i will also need to consider the fascia soon as I'm planning to build the platform so the top is flush with the fascia.

Richard

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:11 pm »
Ive been doing a little more work on the layout, the sidings are now in along with the basics of the platform. Standard Peco brick sides with a plasticard framework on the for the supports. The platform tops are also drying from their coat of Halfords Primer.
The next job is to do the depot area and cut the wholes for the inspection pits. I'm planning to put lighting in the pits so i will need to fit this when i put them in. I'm also using the shed off my little depot layout as its unlikely they will ever appear together.

For me the next consideration is whether to go DC or DCC, up to now its been wired with DC in mind but as the sections are quite long it hasn't been an issue. With the loco depot there is a need for more sections. If i was going to go dcc i would use points decoders for ease. Its on reason why im doing other things before i get to that stage where i have to make my decision on which way to go.

Richard

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 11:25:13 am »
Well DC won the contest, after weighing up the pros and con of it all even though DC will require a little more wiring in the first place i decided overall it was probably for the best. It didn't really take much longer to install the track (i did it at 3am in the morning the reason for which is a long story) and even though its more wiring i already have all the switches and a nice panel to put it all in. Given the control equipment will cost less than £100 all in its still cheaper. If i decide to go dcc in the end i can simply turn all the sections on.

The next job is to cut the holes for the inspection pits, i have marked these out together with the shed so they should be a simple job to do. I also still have the track to lay in the fiddle yard but that shouldn't take too long although i do need a few more points for that. Once ive done that wiring can commence firstly by wiring all the sections up and connecting them together dcc style to see if they all work. Once this is done the point motors can be installed and then tested before wiring it all together neatly into sections with plugs for connection to the panel.

There are some photos to come later on which show the work so far.

Richard

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 11:47:05 am »
Here are the pictures

Richard

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:46:09 pm »
Ive finished off the fiddle yard last night so ive got begin the job of adding all the droppers on. Once ive added them i will connect them all up together to test it and then wire it up correctly.

Also i'm considering removing the platform as i'm not quite sure it fits and it seems to be something every layout seems to have. Then again it does give the front of the layout something and can add a little operational interest SO i'm not sure what to do... Any comments or thoughts?

Richard

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 11:20:37 am »
I'm going through the really tedious job of doing the droppers, so far all the black droppers which are on the viewing side of the layout so they can be easier to hide, Ive done all the droppers in the fiddle yard, there is just another 26 droppers to add and then i can connect them all up together and test the layout. Once this is done this i will fit the point motors and begin wiring up the boards. Normally i do all the sections first and then points etc but this time i will be wiring the boards and then begin on the panel. For connections between the board and the panel it will be a tag strip that i have made up with a 25way D connector which is connected to the panel by computer leads. The panel itself i bought off Ebay and it arrived in flat pack form, but it has been modified so i can hang it from both the front and the rear depending upon how i want to operate it.

When used with the 90 degree fiddle yards the panels for these will be built into the fiddle yard boards to minimize the number of connections.

I am still not certain about the station, i really cant decide whether to retain it or not and it will only be a matter of weeks before i begin to look at this so a decision needs to be made.

There aren't any photos as there isn't much to see at the moment, once there is i will upload them.

Richard

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here