!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New coupler development (was Coupling survey)  (Read 24450 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: New coupler development (was Coupling survey)
« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:20 am »
A short and not very exciting video of the uncoupler doing its stuff.  Now controlled by a MERG Servo4 board thanks to @kirky . I am happy enough with this design that I will be equipping my layout with uncouplers shortly.

Richard

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: April 08, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
@belstone
How cool is that ! 😎

Cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance is at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2018, 07:36:12 am »

Right chaps, this is it.  Mk 7 etches are here, 10 thou nickel silver, eight pairs to a fret.  I built up four pairs over the weekend and fitted them to a loco and three wagons. The etches are spot-on in all respects, no more fiddling with the design needed. Phew.

The B1 has plain couplers (no loop) attached direct to the NEM coupler boxes.  I removed the pivoting inserts and attached the couplers with 12BA bolts through the pivot holes. The Farish brake van uses a similar approach, with the coupler boxes unclipped and a screw through the top pivot hole in the chassis.  The two vans had already been butchered for knuckle couplers and have the couplers screwed to the chassis any old how.

One of my requirements was a design that would fit the coupler pockets on bogie and pony trucks, give reasonably close coupling and still allow full movement from side to side. I think this does the job, doesn't look too bad even unpainted.  A coat of dark grey and it will be pretty inconspicuous.  The bogie had small springs above the axles which didn't seem to do anything useful so I removed them to give a more consistent ride height.  The loco can be returned very quickly to standard (if you hang onto the bits removed) which was another of my requirements. 

I would have done more fiddling if I had the time. I started to put together an assembly photo sequence, but the B1 spat its dummy out as Dapol locos sometimes do.  It now has a Tenshodo motor as the Dapol Supercreep decided it only wanted to run in one direction. Must have been a duff motor from the start as it now runs far better than it ever did.

Next stage is to write some instructions (I did some for a much earlier version several years ago, hope they are still around somewhere) and then I need a few volunteers to test the design and see if they can get the couplers working by following the instructions.  Longer term I am thinking about a website which will show how to fit the couplers to specific models among other things.

It's been a long haul, but at last I can get back to building and operating my model railway...

Richard

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2018, 08:11:15 am »
"Close enough" coupling I think.  This train can still be propelled over a Setrack no. 2 reverse curve without buffer locking, but only just.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:45 am »
Superb work after tremendous perseverance.

Offline Newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:10 am »
Your determination to succeed with this project has been remarkable and, although I can't see you being a millionaire this time next year, it does deserve some commercial success so I wish you well. An approach to the likes of the NGS Journal and any of the monthlies might not go amiss :hmmm:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:14 am »
Agree with above posts. NPN's suggestions are certainly worth thinking about.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2018, 01:12:05 pm »
Your determination to succeed with this project has been remarkable and, although I can't see you being a millionaire this time next year, it does deserve some commercial success so I wish you well. An approach to the likes of the NGS Journal and any of the monthlies might not go amiss :hmmm:

Happy to test build some and write an unbiased review for the NGSJ if required :D

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »
Ditto. :)

Offline busbar

• N Gauge Society Number: 19499
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »
Well done Richard! I look forward to getting my hands on some when they become available.
Dave

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2018, 05:51:45 pm »
A true labour of love, well done Richard.   :thumbsup:

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
Brilliant Richard. You have really done something quite remarkable here - single handedly created a working coupling. Congratulations.

I hope you can get something back on your substantial investment.

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance is at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:28 pm »
I've followed your thread with admiration for your determination, and hope that you have great success with it.  When I've got the scenery done and can start organising trains again...
 :admiration: :admiration: :admiration: :admiration: :admiration:
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2018, 07:46:18 am »
Another fully reversible conversion, this time on a Farish A2. 

This was done much the same way as the B1.  I started out by trying to file down the coupler shank to fit in the NEM pocket, but ended up prising out the pivoting insert from the pocket and securing the coupler with a small screw through the pivot holes.

In almost every case this will be a much better solution than trying to make the coupler clip into the pocket like the standard Rapido- shaped couplers do.  The pivoting insert is a nightmare - they waggle around, don't self-centre accurately and make it impossible to get the coupler to sit central and at the right height.  Removing the insert also makes it easy to mount the coupler further back in the pocket.  Ideally the buffer bar on the coupler needs to sit just forward of the buffers on the vehicle, as shown here:

One of the greatest strengths of the design is that it is so versatile.  A 2mm square plastic shank can be adapted to fit almost anything.  I am working on some more tweaks including a "low profile" version to reduce the bulky appearance of the shank underneath the chassis on four wheel wagons.

Richard

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything