Scratch or kit built?

Started by Dorsetmike, November 03, 2015, 02:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Where do you draw the lines?

If you can use tools to scratch build something, to my mind a computer and plotter (or Laser) cutter or 3D printer can be classed as tools so the first/original item would qualify as scratch built, subsequent prints/cuts would qualify as kits.

If you buy wheels, buffers, couplings etc for locos and rolling stock, or buy etched windows and doors for builldings can the end product be classed as scratch built?

In N gauge I would definitely say yes, however in 0 gauge and larger then some people do make every part, except maybe nuts and bolts.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

trkilliman

I am half way through building a farm. Materials used are plain and embossed Plasticard, brass etches from Langley and Peedee models, liquid cement and acrylic paints.

Starting with a drawing/plan I have made, a sheet of plain Plasticard, ruler and parallel rule, I consider this to be scratch-building.

Parallel rule. I first encountered one of these in the 1960s as a young lad making cardboard copies of Airfix houses. My late Father had been a Merchant navy officer and had used them as a navigation aid on sea charts. His were made of boxwood and brass and I used them when marking out a building. No idea what eventually came of them.

I bought a new one off of ebay a couple of years back but in transparent plastic...around £7. I would strongly recommend buying a parallel rule to anyone who wants to scratch-build. It can be time consuming and sometimes frustrating. That said when a model is finished it gives me a strong sense of achievement and satisfaction.

Ditape

Quote from: trkilliman on November 03, 2015, 03:08:46 PM
I bought a new one off of ebay a couple of years back but in transparent plastic...around £7. I would strongly recommend buying a parallel rule to anyone who wants to scratch-build. It can be time consuming and sometimes frustrating. That said when a model is finished it gives me a strong sense of achievement and satisfaction.
I am aware of parallel rules but I had not thought of them in this context Thank you  for the Idea. :thumbsup:
Diane Tape

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on November 03, 2015, 02:10:02 PM

If you buy wheels, buffers, couplings etc for locos and rolling stock, or buy etched windows and doors for builldings can the end product be classed as scratch built?

Nah - I would term that 'detailing' or 'embellishments' :hmmm:

Ditape

Quote from: newportnobby on November 03, 2015, 04:25:08 PM
Nah - I would term that 'detailing' or 'embellishments' :hmmm:

I agree to me scratch building is when you start with the basic raw materials (plasticard/card/wire or wood)and proceed to build some thing which may include some pre-made components eg etched window frames.
Diane Tape

trkilliman

I often wonder how many younger people scratch-build?

In my early 60s all we really had back in the day were the Airfix buildings. Making and painting these was like an apprenticeship along with the almost mandatory aeroplanes.

As I said in an earlier post I started to copy and sometimes modify the Airfix buildings using card. Learning how to scale things and draw parallel lines, scoring to form external walls, cutting out apertures.
All of this has put me in a strong position to scratch-build, albeit in half the scale I cut my teeth on.

There are some lovely models in the Scenecraft range. At full price they are to my way of thinking, and importantly my disposable income a tad expensive. As the cost of these products seems set to rise almost yearly, I can see a growing interest in scratch-building. Peedee models and Unit models are two firms that have a growing range of resin products. Peedee also have an interesting range of brass etches, and owner Paul is open to product suggestions.

How have people found Redutex embossed vinyl products when scratch-building ?

PLD

You're making the best model you can with your skills and exploiting the best available tools and materials...

Does it actually matter what you call it??  ;)

Newportnobby

Quote from: PLD on November 03, 2015, 08:28:45 PM
You're making the best model you can with your skills and exploiting the best available tools and materials...

Does it actually matter what you call it??  ;)

Nope - mine all get called  :poop: and then binned :-[

Trent

I often wonder how many younger people scratch-build?

I probably just about qualify as younger, and all of the buildings on my layout are scratch-built from reference photos - well, the basic structure of walls and roof are, but I've not found a way to make my own windows and doors good enough yet so using Grandt Line and Pikestuff (for American buildings).

I definitely feel the lack of, I suppose, technical knowledge. Draughtsmanship, the mathematics of scaling, etc. I have a feeling that I could have paid more attention in my school design tech lessons. That said, with scratchbuilding, 'the only standard is reality': with a kit, if you go wrong, you've got someone else's design that you've failed to hit, whereas with scratch, you've got something that may fall short of the reality but still carries a sense that something has been achieved. 

I re-entered the hobby as an adult about 2 and a half years ago, not having done anything with it since childhood ... I built a few buildings from a kit, but the stuff I saw on forums and was most impressed by always turned out to be scratchbuilt and now I have little interest in the admittedly very very nice building kits out there.     

Nope - mine all get called   and then binned

I know the feeling, I have a rogue's gallery of scratchbuilt ships up on a shelf. Handyman came round to fix the bathroom, cast a glance over them and said 'they look like prison art'. Then got his phone out and showed me his own version of a Hudson bay pilot boat which was better than mine. I told him I'd have a better one done next time something broke in the house ...   

Bealman

Most of my scratch built structures have used fine cotton thread and have stood the test of time remarkably well, when I think about it.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

trkilliman

Half-round guttering.
I am aware of the Ratio product, but was wondering if anyone knows of another ready made source, or has hit on an idea for making their own?

Dorsetmike

You can get half round section plastic strip, Plastruct and Evergreen both do it. Difficulty I find with it is fixing it, I use very fine wire to simulate the brackets - very delicate minimum handling advisable; another  way I tried, which does work, but doesn't look as good, is to glue a wider strip on the flat side to make a "P" section and glue the  that under the eaves.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations