Important Notice regarding the NGS Shop

Started by Mirrlees, October 26, 2014, 11:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCCDave

Quote from: red_death on November 26, 2014, 10:03:07 PM
It was almost exactly a month ago that the Shop stopped taking new orders.  The Shop stock is being collected on Friday and moved to new locations. The temporary system has already been agreed and is ready to go but there was no point in announcing when it would be ready for use as we didn't know until recently when the stock would be moved or where it would go too. That is all clear now and then the priority is to count the stock and get the NGS products back on general sale (through an online system).

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Cheers
Dave

talisman56

Will this new on-line system enable us to see which Modelmaster nameplates are actually in stock or enable us to order specific number/nameplates - one of the bugbears of the old system was the inability of anybody to ascertain whether a specific nameplate was in stock and order it. I'm sure that 90% of customers wanted to rebrand their locos with a specific number/name, not order it 'and any other alternatives in case the one you want we don't have'. I'm not sure how many nameplates were sold under the old system, but I can't help thinking that if the system were more transparent and informative, a lot more could have been sold.

I tried a couple of times to order the specific nameplate I wanted and was unsuccessful, and therefore gave up. I am seriously tempted to give Modelmaster a ring now and see if they can supply the one I want...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

NinOz

I am confused about what is happening.  Initially I thought that society products (RTR, preorders, kits) would still be able to be purchased by mail order as normal but subsequent postings have indicated perhaps not so.  I find that the clarity of some NGS postings could have been improved to remove some of the uncertainty.

It would have been nice to see an action plan with timelines attached so that members could see what is to be or being done and when it is expected to be completed.
Something like;
Seek nominations for store staff 15/11/14
Move stock to temporary location 20/11/14
Interim limited purchasing  1/12/14
Appoint new store staff  1/1/15
Stock take 15/12/14
Inventory reduction  20/12/14
Software implementation  25/1/15
System trials  10/1/15
Online store live (limited inventory) 15/1/15
Review effectiveness 30/1/15
Full store online 20/2/15
etc

For NGS committee members:
Your efforts are appreciated.  :claphappy:
I hope the beating about the ears sustained in this thread has not been too painful. :)

Regards,
CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Caz

I think the NGS Committee have got the message that some members are unhappy and the Committee are doing there best to resolve things as quickly as possible, any more beatings around the head will be unproductive,

Can I therefore ask NGF members to refrain from any more brickbats and leave this thread to the NGS Committee to announce when, where and what is happening.  Your co-operation in this will ensure this valuable thread doesn't end up being locked.

Thanks
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Bigric

Thanks Caz , WELL SAID !!! Particularly about future announcements . Ric

red_death

Quote from: talisman56 on November 26, 2014, 11:38:52 PM
Will this new on-line system enable us to see which Modelmaster nameplates are actually in stock or enable us to order specific number/nameplates - one of the bugbears of the old system was the inability of anybody to ascertain whether a specific nameplate was in stock and order it.

Yes, it should do.

Cheers, Mike

EtchedPixels

Quote from: red_death on November 26, 2014, 10:03:07 PM
It was almost exactly a month ago that the Shop stopped taking new orders.  The Shop stock is being collected on Friday and moved to new locations. The temporary system has already been agreed and is ready to go but there was no point in announcing when it would be ready for use as we didn't know until recently when the stock would be moved or where it would go too. That is all clear now and then the priority is to count the stock and get the NGS products back on general sale (through an online system).

Mike

Can I suggest you post some photos of the move on the web site. That might make people realise the scale of the challenge !
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

zopadooper

I am not sure that photographs would be very pretty but a 40 foot container and a 30 foot portacabin have been lined up to accept the stock and the move is happening over the weekend.

Agrippa

How much stock have they got?  :goggleeyes:

That's a helluva lot of transfers , buffers and nameplates !

(ps not a member)

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

zopadooper

According to last year's accounts, about £250,000

Why don't you join?

Alan (committee member)

Agrippa

That's a hefty sum , being a former auditor I have done more stock checks  than
most people have had hot dinners and when the items are v small that is scary.
I'm not a member because I'm an  rtr modeller and I run trains which are
seldom prototypical . I've often dealt with clubs, associations etc ,( non rail) and
know how  difficult these can be.

One thing  I wonder about, there often items of rolling stock which are NGS
special  commissions and the NGS does not sell these to non members due
to  tax reasons.If the society sold these at a higher price to non members
that would  compensate for the Corporation Tax  and possibly lead to
higher production runs.

Anyway good luck to the NGS .
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Mirrlees

Hi Agrippa,

Selling to non-members also has the issues on conformance testing as well.  These costs in themselves out weigh the corporation tax issue.  I also believe that corporation tax would be due as our membership are volunteers and their work can be offset against any surplus. (I will stand corrected if wrong).
Tim Hitch
NGS Display Stand Manager

red_death

Quote from: Agrippa on November 28, 2014, 12:20:49 AM
One thing  I wonder about, there often items of rolling stock which are NGS
special  commissions and the NGS does not sell these to non members due
to  tax reasons.If the society sold these at a higher price to non members
that would  compensate for the Corporation Tax  and possibly lead to
higher production runs.

CT is an issue and it is another hassle in terms of record keeping if selling to non-members but I actually think there is a much more fundamental reason in that the NGS is there to serve its members who provide the financial stability to be able to commission capital intensive projects like kits and RTR.  So by offering the kits and RTR to non-members we reduce the attractiveness of membership and we might sell more stock, but if the membership falls too much then ultimately we are left being unable to commission more...

We want to encourage people to join and kits/RTR are part of the incentive!

Cheers, Mike

Bigric

RE NGS STOCK.....many , many thanks to  those people who have put on the 2 posts outlining the SCALE of the job involved in moving the stock . I think that few of us realised/knew just how much stock the Shop was actually sitting on ! This crucial info puts into perspective just exactly WHY it's taken a bit of time organising the handover to whichever kind soul(s) is/are taking over . Again , THANKS to all involved , hope it goes smoothly ! Keep the faith , Brothers & Sisters !! Cheers , Ric

zopadooper

Thank you for your support.

The plan is to separate the stock into "RTR, kits, transfers, nameplates" and "the rest".

We aim to count and list the first group as quickly as possible and get a temporary shop up and running as soon as we can although nothing has been finalised yet.

As to "the rest"; the jury is currently out!

Alan (Committee member)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations