GWR B Sets

Started by Yet_Another, September 18, 2018, 12:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

Apologies if this is blindingly obvious, but it's about non-blue rolling stock, so my knowledge is extremely limited.

I'm looking at the Dapol coaches, and wondering a) are they any good, and b) did they just run in pairs, or were there other combinations?

I'm guessing a 'set' is a pair, in which case the supplementary question is: would more than one set be used at once? For example, would two sets make up a four coach train?
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

robert shrives

Hi
Yes the B set was a pair of identical coaches with a brake section at the outer end. Ideal for branch traffic. However to mix things up there was a build of individual coaches to the same design that could be added if required .  In the London area there were 4 car sets  with brakes at outer ends only - I guess one such coach was a compo a well - but real experts can give the diagram numbers.

I guess comparing to blue era if you thought 2 EPB and 4EPB you would not be far wrong.

The B set  by  Dapol is a lovely model - only downside I think is that the inner ends are not close coupled but perhaps on sharp curved layouts this is ok .
The model predates close coupling cams an also uber flush glazing.  Not that expensive as well.

Robert     

tunneroner61

The Dapol B set is a fine model. Some suggestions on improvements are here by Maurice Pearce (Osbournes Models) http://www.gwr.org.uk/pronbset.html

I have to disagree with Robert S - the London sets were 5 coaches if I recall correctly. And yes the look of them is improved by close coupling.

Norman

robert shrives

Hi On RM web - link below, every day a school day the 4 car or "D" sets were a West Midlands concoction. Happy to sit corrected on 5s in London - makes sense with denser pouplation. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70103-the-suburban-b-set-coaches

cheers
Robert

Roy L S

Very nice coaches, I still have my two BR ones bought at Warley on release day for the princely sum of £12 each, they don't cost much more than that now, what is it 14 years later?

Roy

Yet_Another

Thanks all. I'm planning for BR maroon, so if necessary I can hook a BCK on the end of a B set, by the look of it.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Newportnobby

Not the best of pics but here's my 64xx pannier with the B set in the bay on 'Kimbolted'

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 18, 2018, 09:41:44 PM
Not the best of pics but here's my 64xx pannier with the B set in the bay on 'Kimbolted'

Ooooooh, a bit close to the baseboard edge there Mick :P :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on September 18, 2018, 10:25:06 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on September 18, 2018, 09:41:44 PM

Ooooooh, a bit close to the baseboard edge there Mick :P :D

Any fall from there is only 2 inches :P

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Karhedron

Quote from: Yet_Another on September 18, 2018, 08:10:28 PM
Thanks all. I'm planning for BR maroon, so if necessary I can hook a BCK on the end of a B set, by the look of it.

Yes, it was not uncommon to see B-sets strengthened with other vehicles.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations