Dapol announce Mk3 Sleepers?

Started by NGS-PO, September 08, 2018, 11:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Quote from: mika on September 09, 2018, 08:19:43 PM
Nice!
And I was wondering what my CS teal class 92 was going to pull.
Well done, Dapol!

Revolution IPAs ;-)

mika

Okay, hadn't thought about them (although I did see the photo on the Revolution site...)  :confused1:

But then, I'm more of a passenger train type...
And I love the sleeper concept :D

jamespetts

I notice in my 1989 BR timetable (in table 51) a service marked as having mixed sleeping/seated accommodation starting from Edinburgh at 2145h bound for Poole, calling, inter alia, at Birmingham New Street at 0317h, Oxford at 0542h (except on Fridays) and arriving at Poole at 0815h. This diagram might well be a reason to use sleepers on my planned layout.

Does anyone have any idea of the correct formation of this train would have been in 1989 - presumably a mix of mark 3 sleepers, air conditioned mark 2 day carriages, possibly a mark 1 BG and/or restaurant car and a class 47 hauling?
Peertube > Youtube

ohlavache

Yes, what restaurant/bar car to go with the Caledonian sleeper (Stag) Mk3 sleepers?

dmck123

Great news, but I'm surprised the IC swallow is missing. I guess a respray will solve it.

jamespetts

I have found some interesting information to answer my own earlier questions:

47842 St Denys 4-7-91 by Southern Modellers, on Flickr

The above is a picture of the Poole/Edinburgh sleeper taken in 1991, and here is a link to a photograph of the same service taken in 1990, comprising one blue/grey air conditioned mark 2 mini-buffet, two mark 3 sleepers in Intercity swallow livery and one mark 1 BG in Intercity livery.

There is also a thread about these services on RMWeb here, showing generally similar formations.
Peertube > Youtube

Intercity

I remember them from the mid 90s, cross country ones (southwest to the north services) didn't have long to go, they had a loco change at New Street, not sure if they combined with other SW services, but the consist was certainly longer than that in the previous picture (I would see them in Preston), I don't recall all the headcodes without digging into old log books.

There were also more West Coast services at that time too, SBs I think were 1M11, 1M12, 1M15 and 1M16 (ex Glasgow, ex Edinburgh, ex Aberdeen and ex Inverness), NBs were 1S25 and 1S26 (The other two I think were 1S77 and 1S79, but stand to be corrected)

All these were in Intercity livery, at around the same time they dropped the seating coaches and went strictly sleeper (that decision being reversed once Scotrail took control in Privatisation)

crewearpley40

having a look at old notebooks....

There were a few listed in the mid 70s that no longer run,

Euston - Stranraer Harbour via Dumfries & Ayr  1S07 2045 departure

Bristol TM - Edinburgh / Glasgow Central. 1S19 Later Plymouth to Edingburgh and Glasgow Via B'ham

1A00 2045 Barrow to Euston
1A01 xxxx Liverpool / Manchester to Euston
1A04 0125 Holyhead to Euston (Irish Mail)
1Vxx 2200 Glasgow/Edinburgh to Bristol Via B'ham
1M10 2230 Glasgow to Euston via (GSW)
1M11 2330 Glasgow to Euston r/a ex Motherwell
1M14 xxxx Stranraer Hbr to Euston
1M15 1930 Inverness to Euston (Royal Highlander)
1M16 xxxx Fort William to Euston

1M11 2330 Glasgow to Euston  was the sleeper service being referred to

back in the 80s ...

the Fort William sleeper was a portion off the Inverness. The normal routeing was West Coast Mainline as far as Carstairs, Wishaw, Holytown and Mossend Yard.

The train split in the yard. Inverness departed via Cumbernauld and Stirling. The Fort William then had a diesel from Mossend Yard, Springburn and Eastfield. This was booked for a Class 26 but could actually be anything that was available. The train was then booked to be hauled down the bank to Queen St by a Class 37 but could again be anything that was available on Eastfield.

As Queen St Class 37, ETHEL a TSO and Mk1 Micro Buffet were attached for the 06:00 to Fort William.

In the 1984/1985 timetable the Aberdeens were still off Kings Cross, there were generally 2 per night with an additional one from KX to Edinburgh. The Aberdeens are shown as running via Inverkeithing, Kirkcaldy and Dundee.

To Inverness / Fort William, in the currency of the timetable there were 2 per night from Euston to Inverness with one carrying the portion for Fort William. I think it divided/joined in Mossend Yard or thereabouts. The Inverness portions are shown as taking about 45 minutes to get from Motherwell to Larbert so I suggest a direct-ish routeing via Cumbernauld.

The Fort William portion is shown as having a stop in Glasgow QS.

however i remember working the 1990s and at some unearthly hour the west highland portion departed edinburgh via falkirk, westerton, helensburgh , the aberdeen portion left after the inverness or occasionally routed via carstairs into coatbridge and the aberdeen ran via perth

heady days

jamespetts

I remember travelling on the West Highland sleeper in 1995 - it stopped then at Edinburgh (I think possibly to change engines) in the small hours from what I recall.
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

james usually for the electric loco to be removed , a diesel to be attached, 2 , 3 . 4 sleeper coaches behind a mk1 brake and a couple of day coaches - usually up to 17 in the rake off london, an extra loco attached preston whilst mail was being off loaded
around 4.30 - 5 am !!!!!!!!!!! and 12 - midnight heading to london

the formation of the old 1M87 20:40 Poole - Edinburgh sleeper train,  it was booked into Platform 7 at Reading (the bay platform) where the loco change took place after heading via basingstoke

Mk2 Air con, a couple of Mark 3 sleepers, and a BG was not uncommon.

The service only ran for a few years when BR IC cross country sector tried to generate overnight business on a route which has healthy daytime traffic. It was never popular. It was started at a time when overnight business was in almost terminal decline anyway; time has shown that only a very small number of sleeper services have survived.

My recollection is that the Bournemouth / Poole sleeper was a portion off the Plymouth - Edinburgh working which ran independantly south of Birmingham New Street via Oxford, Reading and Southampton and vice versa and ran until 1992

the Plymouth - Edinburgh / Glasgow sleeper / seated service which was formed of up to 16 vehicles (8 in each of two portions dividing / attaching at carstairs

jamespetts

Interesting indeed - the short time period in which it runs coincides perfectly with the era in which the layout that I am planning to build will be set (1989), so this is splendid.
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

occasionally class 47 hauled to / from birmingham new street and awaited the plymouth via bristol, cheltenham, then attached / divided and the class 86 to / from scotland  but the micro buffet can easily be modelled

back in the 70s a Motorail Sleeper from Brockenhurst to Edinburgh/Glasgow, and an ordinary sleeper from Poole to Edinburgh/Glasgow ran. the link :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129366-sleeper-trains-on-swd-of-southern-region-1970s/

Ben A

Hello all,

Delighted to see this.

But while I accept the practicality that for the time being any Caledonian Sleeper model has to be representative, as there are no imminent suitable Mk2s for the support vehicles, I hope they'll add the First livery to go with the CS "stag" coaches as I believe very few (1? 2?) have been painted teal.

Cheers

Ben A.

njee20

Didn't realise it was as few as that. I still prefer the First 'barbie' livery.

JBQFC

Quote from: Ben A on September 11, 2018, 12:20:24 AM
Hello all,

Delighted to see this.

But while I accept the practicality that for the time being any Caledonian Sleeper model has to be representative, as there are no imminent suitable Mk2s for the support vehicles, I hope they'll add the First livery to go with the CS "stag" coaches as I believe very few (1? 2?) have been painted teal.

Cheers

Ben A.
only 10580 and 10693 repainted
john

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations