!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hardwired new Jinty  (Read 444 times)

Offline lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Hardwired new Jinty
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:12:11 pm »
I have tonight replaced a rubbish decoder in my Jinty with a CT DCX76z small decoder. My Powercab is refusing to read any loco's on my program track, although it runs them fine. I have connected up to JMRI Decoder pro on my computer and it reads the decoder fine but when I switch my Powercab back to normal running from program track  it trips with the loco has a short. The only thing I have done different this time is connect the motor wires together by soldering them and covering with heat shrink. On the old chip I soldered the motor wires direct to the chip but this chip is a lot smaller, here is a pic can anyone advise.By the way it is shorting like this without the body fitted.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
Re: Hardwired new Jinty
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:53 pm »
Red to pickup black to pickup grey and orange to motor... youve wired it up wrong by the looks of it!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:41:06 pm by Only Me »

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:43:37 pm »
@Only Me Thanks How stupid of me, on the old chip I just soldered the motor wires straight on to it so I had only red and black wires. thanks what a numpty. I will have to turn the chip round the other way now so the wires will reach.
Lil Chris

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:44:35 pm »
You might be lucky but youve probably goosed your chip im afraid... let us know how good the ct short protection is please!

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 12:59:42 am »
Well I will soon find out rewired it,  now for the big test.....
looks like its knackered dam, my own stupid fault, I won't do that again.

Lil Chris

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:22 am »
Unfortunately I thought that would be the case as the moment you turned on your PowerCab on the main you would have put at least 14V of AC up the DC output channel..

You could try setitng  CV1=0 to hard reset see what happens?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:52:55 am by Only Me »

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:28 am »
Bad luck with the decoder.

I read this somewhere which helps me remember which way round the wires go:
'Red and Black to Track, Orange and Grey the other way'.

Steven B.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:21 am »
Thanks guys it's my own fault rushing,I should have set my soldering iron up where I can see what I am doing. I have ordered a new decoder. Tonight I am going to see how my ESU decoder tester works,i will connect that instead of the track and see if programming mode works on my Powecab.if that works ok it will tell me the connection to the track is still not good.
Lil Chris

Offline Izzy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:11 am »

So sorry to here about the decoder. BTDTGTM various times with a decoder one way or another. Could I suggest that you re-test it after 24hrs? It might be a very slim chance, but the Digitrax DZ125/6's I have had seem to have some kind of thermal overload which acts in extreme situations such as this and they then work fine again a day or so later. Might just be that make of decoder, but worth checking just in case.

Izzy

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:54:37 pm »
Thanks Izzy,I intend to try it in my tester before throwing in the bin. What it was that caused me to wire wrong was I had just soldered the red and black wires onto the ztc  decoder so I had 2red and 2 black wires and it mixed me up.I feel more stupid because in the instructions the only english i could read was motor,clearly gray and orange.
Lil Chris

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:21:45 pm »
Well it's not looking good the chip does not work in the ESU tester either, I put I chip I know works in it too test that runs. Another problem seems to be with my Powercab it does not work correctly on program track mode. I was not sure if the cause of the problem was my track connection but it does not work connected to the ESU either. At least I now have JMRI Decoder pro working so I can use that, but I am still not fully conversant with that yet.
Lil Chris

Offline Nigel Cliffe

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 10:29:59 pm »
Well it's not looking good the chip does not work in the ESU tester either, I put I chip I know works in it too test that runs. Another problem seems to be with my Powercab it does not work correctly on program track mode. I was not sure if the cause of the problem was my track connection but it does not work connected to the ESU either. At least I now have JMRI Decoder pro working so I can use that, but I am still not fully conversant with that yet.

Err, if your PowerCab can't do programming mode (for whatever reason), how can DecoderPro do it ?   

Do you have more hardware, because DecoderPro isn't capable of repairing a non-functioning PowerCab. 

- Nigel

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:44 pm »
Thanks Nigel, the Powercab goes into program mode, ie the low voltage but for some reason it can not read the cv's. I thought at first it might be dirty track and even soldered new wires onto the track. On one occasion a loco moved slightly and it read the manufactors number, but it would not go any farther. Also last night when I made a mess of wiring the decoder the cab stayed on when in Program mode, has soon has I put it to normal mode it tripped and switched off,ie because of the short.
 I have asked for advice on the NCE group, it might need returning for repair. My main layout is used with a SB5 booster and the cab works ok with that, has you probably know there is no ability to do a program track with the booster setup.That's why I have the separate track and power supply and panel. It has worked in the past I setup most of locos with it changing to long address etc with no problems. It controls the locos fine too allowing really slow speed on another of my loco's with a ct decoder.
Tonight I connected my ESU tester to the Powercab and tried to read a chip with the same result, the ESU lit up and everything. I then tried running the chip in normal mode through the ESU, it has a motor, and that works successfully. I used your guide with JMRI and the CT decoder in the Union mills loco and I am sure it has improved some of the running, but maybe I am misleading myself. Thanks again Nigel, your advice is invaluable.
Lil Chris

Offline Big bad John

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26400
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:30 pm »
Chris try putting decoder Pro into direct mode I find that paged mode does not seem to work on some decoders.

Offline lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:29 pm »
Thanks John that is what I have been doing. But if Decoder pro does not work if my Powercab is not working correctly in Program mode then I only have one option and that is to get it repaired which means returning to America I believe. I do have another cab I can use, but it does not have the full fuctionality of the main cab. The only thing I can think of to see if it is working at all is when I get the new ct chip to put in the Jinty, see if I can change the number from short to long address and see if that works.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:12:55 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations